Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK partner and I (Kiwi) moving to NZ

UK partner and I (Kiwi) moving to NZ

Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

lilliewhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK partner and I (Kiwi) moving to NZ

I am currently on holiday in UK (6 month Visitors Visa) and have met the man of my dreams. He is from the UK and I am from NZ.
We plan on going back to NZ to start our lives together, not to mention that we will also be having our first child mid next year. However we also plan on getting married.
Can anyone provide us with info on how to apply so that my partner or husband to be can legally stay in NZ...what steps do we need to take ????? Thanks for your help...LW
Old Oct 11th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK partner and I (Kiwi) moving to NZ

Originally Posted by lilliewhite
I am currently on holiday in UK (6 month Visitors Visa) and have met the man of my dreams. He is from the UK and I am from NZ.
We plan on going back to NZ to start our lives together, not to mention that we will also be having our first child mid next year. However we also plan on getting married.
Can anyone provide us with info on how to apply so that my partner or husband to be can legally stay in NZ...what steps do we need to take ????? Thanks for your help...LW
You have to have a residents visa...to get this you need to prove that you have been in a stable relationship, with items such as bills that show you live together, photographs, holiday itineraries etc, all the sorts of things that prove you are in a relationship together and have been for a period of time, the visa form will tell you the sorts of things you need, it does state that a marriage certificate is not enough, they require other evidence. Also you need a police certificate (to prove you dont have a criminal record) have a medical and also there is a form that your partner will need to get signed by a JP or a notary public

I think there is a couple of things that I have forgotten but others will prompt if i have...this is meant for the uk passport holder not the kiwi by the way

Dawn
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

start here
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../canimovetonz/

do some research on requirements for a partnership visa, but i think you have to have lived together for at least a year in order to prove you are a bona fide couple. but maybe they will be more lenient if you are pregnant, i dont know.

however, if he is under 30 he can come to nz independantly on a working holiday visa and when you have been together long enough you may be able to sponsor him (but check this, ie check if you can sponsor somebody on a WHV)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

have fun.....immigration is sooooooooooo much fun
Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK partner and I (Kiwi) moving to NZ

Originally Posted by newkiwi
however, if he is under 30 he can come to nz independantly on a working holiday visa and when you have been together long enough you may be able to sponsor him (but check this, ie check if you can sponsor somebody on a WHV)
You can. This is how I got PR.

Buzzy
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:12 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You can. This is how I got PR.

Buzzy

Hi Lillie,

My hubby's a Kiwi and we are all going (4 kids) under the Partnership Policy. Might be the same - where you have to sponsor him. Think you have to show you've been together for 12 months minimum and be prepared to finance him for the first 2 years - no benefits, social security etc. I would think his best bet initally is the working visa if possible. Rather than wait another 6 months - yawn!!

We could all have gone with return tickets for 6 months and then applied for residency under the partnership policy from within NZ, but we struggle to find the front door of a morning, never mind the relevant paperwork once we've already moved!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
be prepared to finance him for the first 2 years - no benefits, social security etc. I would think his best bet initally is the working visa if possible. Rather than wait another 6 months - yawn!!

I got unemployment benefit on a WHV!!! Didn't ask for it - when my girlfriend went to sign on they asked about me, she said but hes British, they said doesn't matter - gave me the dole too!!!

Buzzy
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all your responses, unfortunately we cannot prove by way of bills, accounts etc to state that we have been together in a stable relationship as we only met a few months ago. Also we are both in our late 30's so the WHV is out of the question. However I will look at the sites provided and go from there. So Thanks again .

Just another question.....would it be fine for him (UK Citizen) to travel to NZ on a Visitors Visa and then change his status later? Also he had a criminal record 10 years ago and I do believe the entry card into NZ asks "If you have ever had a criminal record" should this be declared even if it was 10 years ago? Cheers LW
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Just another question.....would it be fine for him (UK Citizen) to travel to NZ on a Visitors Visa and then change his status later? Also he had a criminal record 10 years ago and I do believe the entry card into NZ asks "If you have ever had a criminal record" should this be declared even if it was 10 years ago? Cheers LW
Yes you can get another visa after a visitors visa (rather than "changing visas) but check with MZ immigration about your own particular circumstances.

Yes you need to declare the criminal record. Unless it was a major offence or a serial of offences you should be OK.

Buzzy
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Ya Buzzy,

The offence was regarding drugs/cannabis where he was institutionalised for 12 months. How does one rate the offence and Thank god it was only one offence!!! Dont think I could deal with many more!!!! Cheers LW

Yes you can get another visa after a visitors visa (rather than "changing visas) but check with MZ immigration about your own particular circumstances.

Yes you need to declare the criminal record. Unless it was a major offence or a serial of offences you should be OK.

Buzzy
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Hi Ya Buzzy,

The offence was regarding drugs/cannabis where he was institutionalised for 12 months. How does one rate the offence and Thank god it was only one offence!!! Dont think I could deal with many more!!!! Cheers LW
Do you mean he was in prison for 12 months? You may need to speak to an immigration agent about this as that may be considered quite serious.

Buzzy
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately YES in prison.

Thanks for the advice.....Cheers LW
Do you mean he was in prison for 12 months? You may need to speak to an immigration agent about this as that may be considered quite serious.

Buzzy