Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Old May 9th 2015, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Originally Posted by Orange pony
Yes Moses agree with most of what you say . Scenery big gardens growing your own and keeping chooks . And fishing . That's why we are still here but it comes at a price . And most people cannot afford to build their own insulated home . We can't afford to double glaze ours the costs are astronomical ! But people need to know that the grass is not greener over here at all except for the weather that is definitely better . When you live in uk NZ is portrayed as a clean green country .... It is that in part but only because there are not enough people to totally destroy it but they drive up the river beds on the beaches and farming pollution is high . Smog in chch and ridiculous traffic in Auckland . In uk you will only meet people who came here on holiday and loved it . I would do just that . But come in winter and look at a house you could afford etc. to make an informed choice . There are a lot of English people who love this place but peel back the layers and most came from inner city uk ie Birmingham or industrial north . The people we knew from Dorset , Scotland and Devon all moved back .
I can understand that and if you're from Dorset, Scotland, Devon and have a good life, you probably don't need to move to the other side of the world. I always fancied New Zealand, but Ireland was the better choice for me, without the hassle. I have sheep, mountains, lakes, sea here too.
Old May 9th 2015, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Orange pony will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I can understand that and if you're from Dorset, Scotland, Devon and have a good life, you probably don't need to move to the other side of the world. I always fancied New Zealand, but Ireland was the better choice for me, without the hassle. I have sheep, mountains, lakes, sea here too.
Good on ya , Ireland is on our list especially for the house prices ! But the weather !?
Old May 9th 2015, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi where about a in Canada do you live ? And how do you find it , if you don't mind me asking
You can see TiryTory's location in her profile, and to check her previous posts you can click on her username and select that option from the drop down box.

I think she won't mind me saying that she's not had the easiest of times adjusting to Canada, but is giving it a go! Lots more info in her posts if you want to have a quick read, plus she's a nurse (still waiting after over a year to be able to work irrc), so there may be lots of useful info there for you.

HTH a bit.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 9th 2015 at 9:21 am.
Old May 9th 2015, 10:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can understand that and if you're from Dorset, -, Devon -
Dorset. Dorset. Dorset.

and Hampshire and Devon and Somerset and all of them.

Old May 9th 2015, 10:58 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can see TiryTory's location in her profile, and to check her previous posts you can click on her username and select that option from the drop down box.

I think she won't mind me saying that she's not had the easiest of times adjusting to Canada,c but is giving it a go! Lots more info in her posts if you want to have a quick read, plus she's a nurse (still waiting after over a year to be able to work irrc), so there may be lots of useful info there for you.

HTH a bit.

No, of course not

Homesickness has been a problem for me which is why I latched on to the Swansea reference. But yes I am settling, the dull grey of winter/spring has passed, it has been in the late twenties this week and everyone is back outside.. On the river, cycling, running. It's lovely.

The nursing though is a huge fly in the ointment. My husband is a GP so we came over on his job alone but I do wish I had paid more attention to how difficult it would be for me to nurse. I was an Endoscopy nurse and I really loved my job. I'm have replied on your other thread, but briefly I'm in Ontario and waiting for the CNO to assess me for RPN (I'm Diploma trained). Their website states 20 weeks to assess....basically I'm over a year now and still no further along. It's depressing!!!
Old May 9th 2015, 11:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Over a year to work? Flamin' heck !

Not surprised it is difficult to settle. We all need to be able to earn our own crust in our own way.

Anyway. It is Tirytory's tale to tell. Not ours.

Happy to see you around BE TiryTory. There are lovely nurses ,and midwives for that matter , all over the world and they are much needed and hugely undervalued , quite often for reasons I do not fathom.

Sometimes this place is like a conversation in a pub. We need to actually have the conversation. The chat. Then we get the gist of what the person is experiencing and conveying. That in turn helps us Joe Soaps too.

and Swansea ?

Heck I love Bmth So you wax on.
Old May 9th 2015, 6:57 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Over a year to work? Flamin' heck !

Not surprised it is difficult to settle. We all need to be able to earn our own crust in our own way.

Anyway. It is Tirytory's tale to tell. Not ours.

Happy to see you around BE TiryTory. There are lovely nurses ,and midwives for that matter , all over the world and they are much needed and hugely undervalued , quite often for reasons I do not fathom.

Sometimes this place is like a conversation in a pub. We need to actually have the conversation. The chat. Then we get the gist of what the person is experiencing and conveying. That in turn helps us Joe Soaps too.

and Swansea ?

Heck I love Bmth So you wax on.
No, over a year for them to finish assessing me and put me forward for two exams.... Then I get to work.

And thank you Bev!
Old May 9th 2015, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya , Ireland is on our list especially for the house prices ! But the weather !?
Well of course it's not the mediterranean If you're used to the coastal UK weather, it's no different to be honest. Wexford would maybe be a bit sunnier than where we are in Co. Galway, but not a huge difference. There are so many amazing places in Ireland and I find the quality of life great, especially if you like fresh air, space and now cheaper than ever housing (outside Dublin) We ended up in Co. Galway because of job availability and could afford a lovely house with big garden. You have everything you need close by and if you want heat, holidays are so cheap these days. Dublin is only 2 1/2 hours away by bus and Shannon airport is growing. Suppose it's a real alternative to NZ in Europe. You can see things like this every weekend.
Old May 9th 2015, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well of course it's not the mediterranean If you're used to the coastal UK weather, it's no different to be honest. Wexford would maybe be a bit sunnier than where we are in Co. Galway, but not a huge difference. There are so many amazing places in Ireland and I find the quality of life great, especially if you like fresh air, space and now cheaper than ever housing (outside Dublin) We ended up in Co. Galway because of job availability and could afford a lovely house with big garden. You have everything you need close by and if you want heat, holidays are so cheap these days. Dublin is only 2 1/2 hours away by bus and Shannon airport is growing. Suppose it's a real alternative to NZ in Europe. You can see things like this every weekend.
Didn't attach:-)
Attached Thumbnails UK to NZ - is it worth it???-beach.jpg  
Old May 9th 2015, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of poms are still here because NZ has bankrupt us and we can't afford to go home , we AR not allowed to moan about NZ or we are whingers ! To be honest we all have a good laugh about the poor housing and cost of everything , fact is most kiwis think NZ is the best place on earth cos they've never lived anywhere else apart from maybe a quick o e to London . Rant over . Scenery is lovely 😃

My thoughts are similar, but you mustn't complain because people get upset if you do.

Back to the OP - I don't think that there is a 'one size fits all' answer to the question of whether British people will always benefit from the move. Some people love the change of lifestyle, some people hate the limitations that this comes with, so the answer will depend on the outlook of the person asking the question.

But the scenery is lovely, that's for sure ...
Old May 9th 2015, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Didn't attach:-)
Beautiful ! . We love NZ but you need tone rich to enjoy it at its fullest ie . We can't afford a boat or to take the family skiing but we enjoy fishing and being in the country . I do wonder about the availability of jobs in Ireland ? My husband had been thinking of retraining to become a teacher , just needs to do a yr post grads but we can't afford to do it here because of our mortgage and cost of living . But with a cheaper house in Ireland we may manage it but I'm not sure there are any jobs, any how thanks so much it is lovely and interesting to see what others have done
Old May 9th 2015, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
No, of course not

Homesickness has been a problem for me which is why I latched on to the Swansea reference. But yes I am settling, the dull grey of winter/spring has passed, it has been in the late twenties this week and everyone is back outside.. On the river, cycling, running. It's lovely.

The nursing though is a huge fly in the ointment. My husband is a GP so we came over on his job alone but I do wish I had paid more attention to how difficult it would be for me to nurse. I was an Endoscopy nurse and I really loved my job. I'm have replied on your other thread, but briefly I'm in Ontario and waiting for the CNO to assess me for RPN (I'm Diploma trained). Their website states 20 weeks to assess....basically I'm over a year now and still no further along. It's depressing!!!
It's funny , when we were thinking of coming over to NZ I used to scoff at negative blogs about the place and thought surely it's good it must be all about the attitude . BUT this time when looking to move again I'm taking everyone's opinion in as useful experience as I have a rotter understanding if what emigrating means . I will read your profile about Canada . I was besides myself with homesickness when I had been in NZ for around nine months but my husband said we should stay for 2 yrs and then see so we did and we've been here for seven and a half ! It gets better to a degree and I think you just learn a different way of copeing , making true friend is the answer . I do hope your nursing gets sorted soon what a nightmare ! Any one would think they didn't need nurses
Old May 10th 2015, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had been thinking of retraining to become a teacher
Just in case it's a factor, if he definitely wants to do that then cross Canada off your list. There's a Wiki article about teaching in Canada which would be useful reading - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beautiful ! . We love NZ but you need tone rich to enjoy it at its fullest ie . We can't afford a boat or to take the family skiing but we enjoy fishing and being in the country . I do wonder about the availability of jobs in Ireland ? My husband had been thinking of retraining to become a teacher , just needs to do a yr post grads but we can't afford to do it here because of our mortgage and cost of living . But with a cheaper house in Ireland we may manage it but I'm not sure there are any jobs, any how thanks so much it is lovely and interesting to see what others have done
There are jobs here, but the problem was after the bust people couldn't take lower paid jobs, because they had huge mortgages (the myth of no jobs). Salaries were so unrealistic and higher than anywhere else in Europe, so cost of living was also very high. The problem is that we have too many teachers, so I wouldn't advise him doing that. Galway is actually growing and growing and becoming more of a Tech place with IT companies, but you also have medical firms and other sectors. If you're flexible and willing to learn, there are opportunities. The key is having a low mortgage to not rely on a specific career, because any job will pay the mortgage.