Reload this Page >

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Old Mar 29th 2015, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

niaharwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to NZ - is it worth it???

Hello!

I'm 24 and currently living in Swansea with my partner who's also 24. We haven't long bought our own house but he has recently been looking at a job as a diesel mechanic based in Hamilton, NZ. He has been a mechanic over here since he was 17 so has pretty good experience and it seems as if the interview process at the moment is going pretty well! We are motivated mainly by his opportunity to gain main dealer experience and more money but also thinking we will have a better quality of life...?? Is this usually the case for us Brits when we make the move??

There are also a few other big factors we need to consider...

We have a dog and have researched a little about importing pets - does anyone know the rough cost of this?? Can see that it can be pretty expensive...

Also, employment for myself - I have an undergrad degree in Criminology and Masters in Journalism. With also practical care work experience. Will this open up a lot of doors for me???

Obviously because we are still young this is pretty exciting for us but we aren't blinded by that and know that we can't treat the move like a holiday! Just want some good advice on what to do and whether other Brits have benefited from the move?

Thanks!
Nia
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ - is it worth it???

I'm sure you'll get others on here who will question the idea that your quality of life will be better in NZ. If I were you, I wouldnt move all the way to NZ just. because of a job offer. You need better reasons than that to sell up and move. For example, what happens if you get out there, your partner doesnt like or loses the job? There are very few who will agree that wages are higher in NZ, and there's tne higher cost of living to consider as well. There will always be more job opportunties in the UK than NZ. Do you know NZ?
Old Mar 29th 2015, 6:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome to BE

I would suggest that you look into working holiday visa's. the process to gain that particular visa is fairly painless and cheaper. It will mean you could work for a certain period of the visa and move around the country the rest of the time as you say a holiday.
We moved 3 yrs ago and the cost of moving a 3 bed house, 2 adults and 2 children was about 14K, that did include the visa and medical costs. so I think that is about the cost you are looking at with a pet (working holiday visa would not entitle you to bring a pet).

You would also need to provide proof that you have been together with your partner for more than 12mths on a more permanent visa to enable to include you on his application, so anything that proves that your lives are together daily - joint bills, holiday receipts, social chat documentation, invites etc.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I'm sure you'll get others on here who will question the idea that your quality of life will be better in NZ. If I were you, I wouldnt move all the way to NZ just. because of a job offer. You need better reasons than that to sell up and move. For example, what happens if you get out there, your partner doesnt like or loses the job? There are very few who will agree that wages are higher in NZ, and there's tne higher cost of living to consider as well. There will always be more job opportunties in the UK than NZ. Do you know NZ?

It is something we've always wanted to do and the opportunity has come up so we are looking at the pros and cons.
Part of his employment in NZ requires him to move out there alone first with paid accommodation in the first few months - I suppose it is during this time that he will be able to work out NZ. Our plans are to rent our property in the UK as im aware we may decide to come home if NZ Is not what we expect.

The cost of living in Hamilton is similar to where we live now but I have noticed property prices are a lot higher!

I've never been to NZ before but heard all positive things. Obviously this may differ when I talk to residents !

Thanks for your info
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Hi and Welcome to BE

I would suggest that you look into working holiday visa's. the process to gain that particular visa is fairly painless and cheaper. It will mean you could work for a certain period of the visa and move around the country the rest of the time as you say a holiday.
We moved 3 yrs ago and the cost of moving a 3 bed house, 2 adults and 2 children was about 14K, that did include the visa and medical costs. so I think that is about the cost you are looking at with a pet (working holiday visa would not entitle you to bring a pet).

You would also need to provide proof that you have been together with your partner for more than 12mths on a more permanent visa to enable to include you on his application, so anything that proves that your lives are together daily - joint bills, holiday receipts, social chat documentation, invites etc.
Woah 14k is a lot! It may require myself to stay in UK for a while before I join my Partner to ensure we are ok financially...

The company he will work for know our current living situation and all seems ok so far. However they want him to pay for his visa and flight to show commitment - is this something companies usually do when seeking UK workers??
Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

The company sounds like many others ; you pay , so they cant lose. I would ask that the contract states that this will be refunded after one complete year of service.
Its good that you've listened to the good comments, and no doubt you'll get a chance to read some negative ones , so you can get a balanced view. I'm surprised you think the cost of living will be about the same. Make sure you do your sums right, and remember there's no NHS! Why not go with him as a visitor for a few weeks and see what it's like? It's worth the cost of a plane ticket.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by niaharwood
Part of his employment in NZ requires him to move out there alone first with paid accommodation in the first few months
Why? I see no need for that stipulation.

Although I can see it may be helpful to you both if he enters NZ to take up the job offer with you and the dog following after your house has been rented out. That would be up to you both though.

The cost of living in Hamilton is similar to where we live now
That is an interesting observation.

You haven't said what hourly rate your OH will be on. Trade rates go from around $25/$30 an hour. Sometimes a bit higher in the main cities.

It may be that this is more than his current hourly rate and so could 'feel' like an improvement. However when calculating a cost of living it is best not to compare with where you come from as that gives a false impression.
The only way to know if it will be comfortable on his net hourly rate is to look at each and every possible expense of where you would be living & then see what you would have left over each week.

I have an undergrad degree in Criminology and Masters in Journalism. With also practical care work experience. Will this open up a lot of doors for me?
What work are you hoping to do? There are not so many doors in NZ , however one highly qualified lady with decades of research and the like under her belt moved from a position in the UK to become a professor here. She felt she had gained a voice in her profession so a door did open for her.

The company he will work for know our current living situation and all seems ok so far.
For you to join him under the family stream you will need to show proof of having lived together for at least a year. That is an NZ immigration requirement.
If he enters on a temporary work visa , then it would be wise for you to not be too far behind him if you wish NZIS to see that you are in a long term , permanent relationship.

However they want him to pay for his visa and flight to show commitment - is this something companies usually do when seeking UK workers??
I'm a bit confused about the word 'seek'. Your OH looked for work in NZ. They did not seek him out.

More often than not , those wishing to emigrate pay their own way. Especially those in the trades. There is no reason for a company to pay your own expenses if it is you wishing to move.
They will want him to pay his own way as it will be no loss for them.

Do you know if this is an NZIS accredited company please?

As you haven't been to New Zealand before, please do your sums very carefully , particularly as you have yourselves on the housing market where you currently live.

There are many costs associated with emigrating. It can run into thousands. Perhaps think to have an extended stay in NZ first with your husband checking out the actual working conditions etc before you make any firm decisions.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:37 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sounds all very positive but you need to make sure that if you want to join him you are able to. - please do your own research on this visa options http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

it would be down to certain requirements if you would be able to be attached to his visa application.

Have you also looked at the tax implications if you rent your property out and also the rules change in April about selling property if you are non resident in the UK.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why? I see no need for that stipulation.

Although I can see it may be helpful to you both if he enters NZ to take up the job offer with you and the dog following after your house has been rented out. That would be up to you both though
This is because they are looking for diesel mechanics due to the UK being more advanced in this area - that is what I meant by "seeking"
They are paying for his accommodation for the first few months to help the move.

That is an interesting observation.

You haven't said what hourly rate your OH will be on. Trade rates go from around $25/$30 an hour. Sometimes a bit higher in the main cities.
He will be earning $60,000 a year basic, approx $80,000 with overtime
This is a considerable amount more than his wages here.

What work are you hoping to do? There are not so many doors in NZ , however one highly qualified lady with decades of research and the like under her belt moved from a position in the UK to become a professor here. She felt she had gained a voice in her profession so a door did open for her.
Investigative journalism is my preference or teaching.

More often than not , those wishing to emigrate pay their own way. Especially those in the trades. There is no reason for a company to pay your own expenses if it is you wishing to move.
They will want him to pay his own way as it will be no loss for them
I asked this question because they stayed themselves that it is purely because they want commitment from him and will reimburse him once he arrives. I agree that we want to move to NZ too but the company is specifically looking for UK diesel mechanics.

Do you know if this is an NZIS accredited company please?
The company is ISUZU

There are many costs associated with emigrating. It can run into thousands. Perhaps think to have an extended stay in NZ first with your husband checking out the actual working conditions etc before you make any firm decisions.
Yep this is something we will definitely do first

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 30th 2015 at 2:11 am. Reason: fix quotes
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niaharwood;11605923
[QUOTE
Part of his employment in NZ requires him to move out there alone first with paid accommodation in the first few months
Yeah, I thought that was an odd stipulation too. It sounds as if they have a problem with you staying in the company provided accommodation too which sounds tight fisted to me.

Maybe they are protecting their interests if things don't work out and he doesn't stay working for them in the long term.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niaharwood
Yep this is something we will definitely do first
The way you started this thread, it sounded like you were ready to go if your partner gets the job, but then you gave the above reply, which makes me think you havent given much thought to this potential move? As others have said, the best thing to do is go and get a feel for the place before you go to tje expense of moving. Will the rent of your place cover the mortgage? What are you going to do if you cant find a job there, it's a very limited market, and dont expect to earn the same as you could in the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The company is likely casting it's net overseas because there is a long term shortage of diesel mechanics in New Zealand at the present time.

Your OH will still need to conform to the NZIS and NZQA standard . Also to the New Zealand working practices. I am assuming that he is time served with the associated qualification certificates. C&G / NVQ to advanced level.
NZIS will require proof of his overseas quals and work experience. If they are not satisfied that they match the New Zealand standard , then he may be required to submit to NZQA for an assessment.
He should look to have notarised copies of his trade certificates ready and available for any via application.

To my knowledge NZ employers do not see themselves , in any way, behind the UK.
I would be very wary of coming out with the statement that the UK is more advanced in anything, let alone a trade, than NZ. Will not win friends.

$60K is an average for a qualified tradie here in NZ. It may be more than what he currently earns in a UK but that isn't relevant to a forthcoming NZ life. It is the NZ costs that need to be looked at.

FWIW , if this employer wishes to help with your move to NZ, then they would be better placed offering you both accommodation which can take a dog & also assistance with both your visa applications.

Moving along, if you are meaning teaching in a school. This is unlikely. Home grown teachers are struggling to find permanent contracts here at the present time.

I have read what you have said about the company wanting a commitment from your OH. However there is another way to look at this. You are the ones uprooting yourselves and taking the gamble on a brave new life on the other side of the world. That will not come cheap either in pound notes or in emotional strain.

How about the company showing an upfront commitment to you and your OH in a way that will help you both to settle.

Remember, diesel mechanics are in shortage here in NZ. If the company is as good as its word, it will wait for your partner.

When we first emigrated the company (there were several) that offered my husband, who is a time served plumber and gasfitter, a job waited 4 months in the end and were happy to do so.

In fact , he had 8 job offers and most came with accom or incentive to move. That was when plumbers/gasfitters were on the shortgage lists also.

No-one is trying to put you off by the way. Just wishing the best for you both and your wee dog in that this happens the right way and not the wrong way in haste.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Success would depend on the type if people you are
Living in Hamilton, despite it being a fairly big place
By nz standards is like living in a smallish town in the UK,
something similar to living a Kendal or other similar sized places.
Forget football, new cars, fashion, say hello to wide open spaces , friendly people and a great
place to live and bring up kids.
Look into what you like doing and what's available here before deciding
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
The company is likely casting it's net overseas because there is a long term shortage of diesel mechanics in New Zealand at the present time.

Your OH will still need to conform to the NZIS and NZQA standard . Also to the New Zealand working practices. I am assuming that he is time served with the associated qualification certificates. C&G / NVQ to advanced level.
NZIS will require proof of his overseas quals and work experience. If they are not satisfied that they match the New Zealand standard , then he may be required to submit to NZQA for an assessment.
He should look to have notarised copies of his trade certificates ready and available for any via application.

To my knowledge NZ employers do not see themselves , in any way, behind the UK.
I would be very wary of coming out with the statement that the UK is more advanced in anything, let alone a trade, than NZ. Will not win friends.

$60K is an average for a qualified tradie here in NZ. It may be more than what he currently earns in a UK but that isn't relevant to a forthcoming NZ life. It is the NZ costs that need to be looked at.

FWIW , if this employer wishes to help with your move to NZ, then they would be better placed offering you both accommodation which can take a dog & also assistance with both your visa applications.

Moving along, if you are meaning teaching in a school. This is unlikely. Home grown teachers are struggling to find permanent contracts here at the present time.

I have read what you have said about the company wanting a commitment from your OH. However there is another way to look at this. You are the ones uprooting yourselves and taking the gamble on a brave new life on the other side of the world. That will not come cheap either in pound notes or in emotional strain.

How about the company showing an upfront commitment to you and your OH in a way that will help you both to settle.

Remember, diesel mechanics are in shortage here in NZ. If the company is as good as its word, it will wait for your partner.

When we first emigrated the company (there were several) that offered my husband, who is a time served plumber and gasfitter, a job waited 4 months in the end and were happy to do so.

In fact , he had 8 job offers and most came with accom or incentive to move. That was when plumbers/gasfitters were on the shortgage lists also.

No-one is trying to put you off by the way. Just wishing the best for you both and your wee dog in that this happens the right way and not the wrong way in haste.
Much appreciated - however im not sure if I made it clear in the beginning that this is very early days for us and we are just testing the water with our post on here. Trust me we have a lot of commitment here with our house etc so it wouldn't be a rushed move. My partner has a Skype session with the company in the coming weeks and we basically wanted to get as much info as poss so we could get all our questions ready for them.

I do appreciate everybody's honesty in this forum tho
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

There's no Joes Ice Cream in Hamilton ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.