Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Child Tax Credits

UK Child Tax Credits

Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:50 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Child Tax Credits

We've got a couple of friends in the UK who work for Inland Revenue and even their claim is not processed correctly. So no hope for Joe Bloggs then
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Staar will become famous soon enoughStaar will become famous soon enough

We've been in NZ seven weeks now and after a month of being here we had letters from Family tax credit in the UK, saying we owed several thousand pounds from three years ago!!! Hubby used to be self employed so maybe thats how they got our NZ address Anyhoo, Hubby gets on the phone to them and explains that they always received up to date accounts from our accountant (so, we were'nt to blame)and that there was no way we could afford to re-pay this amount! They said they'd get back to us. Then this morning we received some paperwork from them "explaining why we owe/ how to pay back"... yeah right like thats gonna happen! Not getting tax credits anymore but am still receiving child benefit although told them twice in the UK to cancel my payments!!! So who's to blame!!! Silly buggers!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware there is a reciprical tax agreement between the two countries so they may be able to claw it back I would read the small print on both countries Inland Revenue websites if I was you
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Be aware there is a reciprical tax agreement between the two countries so they may be able to claw it back I would read the small print on both countries Inland Revenue websites if I was you
But surely if you dont tell them your leaving the country how the hell are they gonna find you in NZ????

I ain't telling them nothing but this has made me worry a bit......
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
But surely if you dont tell them your leaving the country how the hell are they gonna find you in NZ????

I ain't telling them nothing but this has made me worry a bit......
hi Nici,

how are your plans? I didn't want to tell them either, but Louise (OH) had a guilt complex, seeing it as benefit fraud and she couldn't get the picture out of her mind of being arrested at Heathrow should we ever return or come back for a holiday.

Simon
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
hi Nici,

how are your plans? I didn't want to tell them either, but Louise (OH) had a guilt complex, seeing it as benefit fraud and she couldn't get the picture out of her mind of being arrested at Heathrow should we ever return or come back for a holiday.

Simon
Hiya Simon,

The people buying the house have messed us around for 5 weeks......grrrr
Someone else has put an offer in yesterday though so hopefully, fingers crossed, things should start moving so to speak..........hopefully us!!!!

IR are taking 20 quid a week from me at the mo and I am not going to pay anymore once i leave. I dont see it as benefit fraud purely for the reason that when it was first realised about overpayments the IR stated that those in hardship ( immigrants ) would not have to pay it back, so if they don't have to then neither am I.

Hows your plans coming along?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Hiya Simon,

The people buying the house have messed us around for 5 weeks......grrrr
Someone else has put an offer in yesterday though so hopefully, fingers crossed, things should start moving so to speak..........hopefully us!!!!

IR are taking 20 quid a week from me at the mo and I am not going to pay anymore once i leave. I dont see it as benefit fraud purely for the reason that when it was first realised about overpayments the IR stated that those in hardship ( immigrants ) would not have to pay it back, so if they don't have to then neither am I.

Hows your plans coming along?
Slowly,

Our buyer has just been elusive, but hopefully we'll exchange this week and complete next. The packers are turning up next wednesday (PSS). Once i've got the money from the house sale, then i can get the plane tickets. Mail has been redirected, just got to cancel al the utilities/phone/insurances etc - god, the stress levels were going through.........
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
[don't think they have child benefit but found this website

http://newzealand.govt.nz/services?treeid=764
NZ doesn't have a child benefit system like the UK does. The Working Families Tax Credit is new (about a year or two old I think) and has been a life saver for my family. Without it, we were facing having to sell the house to make ends meet.

There is also a very good childcare subsidy to help pay for daycare and after school clubs
http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...sidy.htm#P1_74
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi

we are under the impression that if earnings are over 75k you are not entitled to wftcredits,can anyone tell me if thats true.. thanks
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi

we are under the impression that if earnings are over 75k you are not entitled to wftcredits,can anyone tell me if thats true.. thanks
Depends on how many kids you have and how old they are....
https://interact1.ird.govt.nz/forms/famcalc2008/
here's the calculator. If you have 2 children under 12, on 75K you're still entitled to $43 a week...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dlmckay
here's the calculator. If you have 2 children under 12, on 75K you're still entitled to $43 a week...
Thanks for that, that's very helpful (though hopefully they are better organised than the UK equivelant)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
Personally I am not telling them when we move. They can pay us all they want (minus what they are clawing back from the £6500 they overpaid us) - I am gone.

As for child allowance - you are allowed to claim that up to 12 months after you leave the country
I just phoned up child benefit line and was informed that if your going to NZ permanently your money stops the monday after you leave. If you are staying 12 months or less you get 26 weeks payment whilst in NZ.

Last edited by jill1420; Aug 16th 2007 at 4:22 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Im guessing you are not entitled to anything unless you have PR? I know thats the case in OZ.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

We have rung and told them we are leaving, but I hope they mess up and keep paying into my UK account. It would be nice to get something back
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jill1420
I just phoned up child benefit line and was informed that if your going to NZ permanently your money stops the monday after you leave. If you are staying 12 months or less you get 26 weeks payment whilst in NZ.
oh bum - thought it was too good to be true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.