Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Child Tax Credits

UK Child Tax Credits

Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:48 am
Just Joined

welshsteve will become famous soon enoughwelshsteve will become famous soon enough
Default UK Child Tax Credits

Anyone had fun and games with trying to sort out Child Tax Credits. We are having real issues with them demanding forwarding addresses, asking what we will make on our house sale etc etc.
Can anyone advise how to get rid of these pests!!!!!:curse::curse:
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: UK Child Tax Credits

Originally Posted by welshsteve
Anyone had fun and games with trying to sort out Child Tax Credits. We are having real issues with them demanding forwarding addresses, asking what we will make on our house sale etc etc.
wished i never heard of child tax credit:curse: it has been the biggest balls up ever!!!!!!

they ask for last years earnings and then say the next year you were paid to much,then ask for last years earnings again,

made a big mess with us and then said we had to pay back £2500:curse::curse:

they said instead of giving us what we were now intitled to, they would just take it of the amount owed.
thought this would be well down by now as it was a year and a half ago.
so phoned them yesterday to see what was left to pay and they said £2200!!!

:curse:
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

welshsteve will become famous soon enoughwelshsteve will become famous soon enough

R U in the UK still??
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

R U in the UK still??
yes.

tax credits said that our records hadn't been updated since then! even though we sent the renewal pack back every year!!:curse:

i asked how come none of this had been cleared and he started rumbling of a load of mumble jumble!!!

i said i'm moving to oz in a year and don't want a big bill from them.
He then said i could pay back more now if i wanted to

in the end i gave up and said i would phone back in a couple of months when they've got themselves sorted!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Are we/you entitled to tax credits until to day we leave UK? Does same apply for child allowance? Does it matter whether you have PR in NZ or not? Can anyone help?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

don,t talk to me about tax credits....

my oh was promoted, earned really good wage,40k so we thought we wouldn,t apply for tax credits,we though we wouldn,t be entitled to them.

1 and a half years later they got in touch with us and demanded the last years money they gave us back...

i phoned them and asked why,they informed me that you must give i9nformation on earnings its compulsary.....

i told them this was a misunderstanding on our behalf,we just presumed we wouldn,t be entitled,but aparantly we were,we should have got 42 pound a monthwow

but because it was more than a year since we claimed ,we couldn,t claim that back....

but they were demanding a years money they said we were over paid back,
only because we never filled in a form:curse:

it was like banging your head of a brick wall

so when we moved i stuck 2 fingers up to them and never even told them we'd gone

they are just a joke,and they can take a running jump:curse:
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:58 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought child tax credits were to do with earned income. What's the profit from the sale of your house got to do with it?

I suppose if they phone you could politely tell them you have written to them giving all the information requested? They can't sort out what paperwork they've sent out or process forms sent back to them correctly. By the time they looked for the 'letter' you never sent anyway, you'll be here! Not best advice legally-wise but you did ask how to get rid of them
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

brujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the rough

The open-ness of this thread prevents me from writing my real opinion of those nuggets in the tax-office. I had a form of a bonus off the army recently, tax office say we owe them loads of money. So wittling it down over the last 3 years we still owe them a bucketful. Guess who's not getting told as and when we move house/country! Tossers!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:21 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brujarerdeb
The open-ness of this thread prevents me from writing my real opinion of those nuggets in the tax-office. I had a form of a bonus off the army recently, tax office say we owe them loads of money. So wittling it down over the last 3 years we still owe them a bucketful. Guess who's not getting told as and when we move house/country! Tossers!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:33 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to cancel ours the day before we left the UK, but I've heard tales of people still trying to cancel both family allowance & child tax credits 3 years after they have left
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

I was advised to ring up both 2 weeks before we left which I did and payments stopped and statement sent and that was that.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Personally I am not telling them when we move. They can pay us all they want (minus what they are clawing back from the £6500 they overpaid us) - I am gone.

As for child allowance - you are allowed to claim that up to 12 months after you leave the country
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:18 am
Just Joined

smiler1 is an unknown quantity at this point

so do we have to tell them that we are leaving the country to still claim child allowance......... or just let them keep paying? does nz have a child allowance system?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=smiler1;5191337]so do we have to tell them that we are leaving the country to still claim child allowance......... or just let them keep paying? does nz have a child allowance system?

I think you have to tell them you are leaving. I'm not but I'll get caught - I'm rubbish at being bad (that's why I married someone square - so I look wild - or so a 'friend' told me once)

As for NZ - they have working families tax credit
see:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credits/

don't think they have child benefit but found this website

http://newzealand.govt.nz/services?treeid=764
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
Personally I am not telling them when we move. They can pay us all they want (minus what they are clawing back from the £6500 they overpaid us) - I am gone.

As for child allowance - you are allowed to claim that up to 12 months after you leave the country
I am in the same position re child tax credit...........and I ain't telling them niche.

They overpaid, its there fault so getting nothing from me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.