Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

TV in NZ is it worth it?

TV in NZ is it worth it?

Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough
Default TV in NZ is it worth it?

From what we have read on here and other places NZ TV isn't that good. So my / our question has to be is having a TV in NZ worth it or not?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:00 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV in NZ is it worth it?

we didnt have a tv for the first 4 months here, but then missed having something to watch dvds on so we got one. NZ tv is ok, you get into the things you like on certain nights, I also like it because there may only be a couple of things on a night then that meant you didn't just veg in front of the telly!
The adverts are annoying and there are so many breaks that it makes watching a film a very long drawn out process.
There are a lot of the American things like CSI, Greys anatomy, Heroes, etc etc.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:21 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I still need a TV, and its still ok if you have Sky, I tend to watch alot of UKTV and living channel, they show alot of house programmes i.e. a place in the Sun, location location etc etc.... on living and on UkTV lots of comedies and things like the graham norton show, Little Britain etc...

also C4 is good for some dramas like Skins for instance.

if your into soaps then Eastenders and Coronation Street is about a year behind...

but we tend to watch C4, UKTV and living the most on sky
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:04 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Personally I dont think TVNZ is that bad. I particularly like their Breakfast program and the news coverage. A lot of their overseas news reports come from the BBC anyway. Its a hell of a lot better that US news coverage, anyway.

I watch UKTV and LIVING on Sky a lot. The adverts are a pain, particularly in movies but, hey, theres no licence fee to pay.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you soon get into your American dramas if you like that sort of thing. I loved Greys, Men in Trees, Brothers and Sisters etc. You seem to adapt to what they throw at you but there is nothing like a good British drama. I love watching the repeats of Doc Martin particularly as it was filmed not far from where we used to live in the UK. Makes me feel warm inside when I see old blighty. Sunday night dramas that they are advertising at the mo look good, some good british stuff there.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend getting MySky (like UK SkyPlus)...it means you can fast forward all the adverts on your favourite programmes which you have pre-recorded. Also stops you watching too much rubbish.....I managed to go for months without seeing any NZ TV adverts. and I still manage to avoid them for the most part.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I would recommend getting MySky (like UK SkyPlus)...it means you can fast forward all the adverts on your favourite programmes which you have pre-recorded. Also stops you watching too much rubbish.....I managed to go for months without seeing any NZ TV adverts. and I still manage to avoid them for the most part.
Totally agree with that - the quantity and quality of adverts over here can be really irritating. We record everything we want to watch on a hard-disc recorder and then fast forward through the ads. We usually find we have a back-log of stuff to watch, but only watch 1 - 1.5 hours per day. Sky is great for the kids' programmes, there is quite a lot of quality stuff on there. I wouldn't want to watch TV here without a HDD recorder or my Sky, the former are available from about $400, and your UK one will work with an NZ sky box
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:27 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benandlea
From what we have read on here and other places NZ TV isn't that good. So my / our question has to be is having a TV in NZ worth it or not?
Totally worth it. Only yesterday the TVNZ reporter asked the Irish guy who won the 200m heat 'How does it feel being up against all these black men?' and then later told a Kiwi competitor that he was 'an inspiration for white New Zealand men'.

TV is quite a good way to get a grip of a new culture and you can always hurl your set out of the window once you've fully acclimatised, as I did yesterday.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough

Ben adores NCIS, CSI, etc.

I prefer trashy soaps and sport (Leeds fan for my sins)

xox
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benandlea
Ben adores NCIS, CSI, etc.

I prefer trashy soaps and sport (Leeds fan for my sins)

xox
You'll be fine then Lea, plenty trashy soaps and a sporty nation LOL!! Me too, I like to get lost in the trashy soaps to take me away from reality for a little while. It made it irritating to watch stuff from England that I had already seen but now 2 years on things are starting to appear that I haven't seen - yay!!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by shirl
You'll be fine then Lea, plenty trashy soaps and a sporty nation LOL!! Me too, I like to get lost in the trashy soaps to take me away from reality for a little while. It made it irritating to watch stuff from England that I had already seen but now 2 years on things are starting to appear that I haven't seen - yay!!
Me to addicted to Eastenders at the moment as ive never seen the new stuff...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Me to addicted to Eastenders at the moment as ive never seen the new stuff...
Another Enders fan eh. Not me though - the MIL is a huge fan. I like my Corrie and Emmerdale but alas Emmerdale must be what about 3 or 4 years behind? Correct me if I am wrong someone!! Corrie was 12 months, Just saw this christmas gone what I saw when we left December 2006. The first year here was great - no rushing home for the soaps LOL. I have however become an avid watcher of Shortie Street purely for the hunks like Ben on there (AKA TK Samuels) you understand, now there's a great looking 100% Maori hunk. (oops dribbling now LOL!!!!)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:14 am

Another Enders fan eh. Not me though - the MIL is a huge fan. I like my Corrie and Emmerdale but alas Emmerdale must be what about 3 or 4 years behind? Correct me if I am wrong someone!! Corrie was 12 months, Just saw this christmas gone what I saw when we left December 2006. The first year here was great - no rushing home for the soaps LOL. I have however become an avid watcher of Shortie Street purely for the hunks like Ben on there (AKA TK Samuels) you understand, now there's a great looking 100% Maori hunk. (oops dribbling now LOL!!!!)
yep missing corrie at the moment, as the olympics in on

I will have to check out shortland street now just for the hunk, could always do with a hunk to look at to brighten my day, talking of hunks take a look at Mindfreak on the Box channel 5 on sky, hes a real Hottie, drool drooling over the keyboard, sorry im getting very fangirly now

and also Its always Sunny in Philadelphia is a good American comedy check it out starts new series on C4 next Monday...oh and btw I love Desperate Housewives and they get this here also, waiting for the next series btw, anyway im rambling.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

When it comes to sport I will watch anything apart from Golf and Boxing, but prefer watching football as it is my passion.

If you guys are getting Enders from 2 years ago that means that if all goes to plan I should aim to stop watching it in about 6 months time so I can try and pick up from where I was when we fingers crossed come out

I have managed to get Ben into watching Corrie which is kewl.

Lea
x
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I have however become an avid watcher of Shortie Street purely for the hunks like Ben on there (AKA TK Samuels) you understand, now there's a great looking 100% Maori hunk. (oops dribbling now LOL!!!!)
another avid Shorty fan here. I never watched soaps before but it's got me hooked, but it's not cos of the lovely men , not at all, it's for the acting.

yeh right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.