Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Turn out the lights would you?

Turn out the lights would you?

Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:54 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turn out the lights would you?

You know, even moving some call centres to New Zealand would be a good start. That's something the Telco's should be persuaded to do.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
You know, even moving some call centres to New Zealand would be a good start. That's something the Telco's should be persuaded to do.
Didn't we outsource ours to Southeast Asia?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Well i spent 10yrs in NZ. In CHCH. Last year i left for oz, for various reasons, none of which were because of the quakes and inwent through all the big ones.

Circumstances have now dictated that the rest of the family moves out and i have to say, we are liking it. Very similar to nz culturally, but cost of everything baring housing is cheaper with more choice and my wages have now tripled from what i earned in nz. More than enough to make up for the increase in housing costs
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Mmmm ... Auckland's purchasing power for ipod nanos 28th out of 73 cities. Not bad !!! Well into the top half of cities.
Just to clarify my point. I was merely arguing the toss regarding cost of living because you said Australia's cost of living is similar to the UK and NZ, which is false. It is higher. I mentioned nothing about 'relative to income'. I think it can't be argued that Australia's average incomes are higher than both the UK or NZ.
And I thought that I would have got a few more brownie points for illustrating that the Cost of Living in Auck and Well is slightly higher than most other UK cities. Because that seems to be what people want to hear.
The mercer survey only compares cost of living between countries for people earning the same amount of US dollars. You cannot, mathematically, use the ranking to then compare cost of living for people living in two 3rd party countries like NZ/OZ, NZ/UK, UK/OZ etc where different wage levels exist. It is totally inaccurate to use for this purpose.

For example, Australia's cost of living could be similar to the UK and NZ despite this survey as it has no relation to what percentage of their local salary people spend buying the various things they need to live.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

All very sad really - I feel very poor future outlook for nz due untold economic damage & sale of all our worldly assets offshore.

I am have contract work back in Sydney paying 70% more than what I was earning in Auckland (professional role). Another friend's husband has doubled his wages since moving over 2 years ago.
It is no wonder everyone is leaving NZ. Whilst I loved nz the first 4-5 years I lived here and am by no means materialistic, I have come to the rapid conclusion that we are going absolutely nowhere career-wise by staying here and earning a decent " globally comparative" salary is very important if you intend living the rest of your life overseas and want to visit your family back in the UK regularly.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:03 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
All very sad really - I feel very poor future outlook for nz due untold economic damage & sale of all our worldly assets offshore.

I am have contract work back in Sydney paying 70% more than what I was earning in Auckland (professional role). Another friend's husband has doubled his wages since moving over 2 years ago.
From what I can gather from Google, the average salary comparison is (roughly) as follows, before converting for exchange rate :

NZ = $NZ50,000
Aus = $AU65,000
UK = 26,000 pounds

Anyway, they are the figures. The thing about Oz is that the mining sector with an average of $103,000, accounts for the sector with the highest average salary, and if you took that sector out (seeing as how a lot of people dont want to work in mining), the figures would be somewhat different (he says, trying to make things sound better from a UK and NZ point of view).
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01
The mercer survey only compares cost of living between countries for people earning the same amount of US dollars. You cannot, mathematically, use the ranking to then compare cost of living for people living in two 3rd party countries like NZ/OZ, NZ/UK, UK/OZ etc where different wage levels exist. It is totally inaccurate to use for this purpose.

For example, Australia's cost of living could be similar to the UK and NZ despite this survey as it has no relation to what percentage of their local salary people spend buying the various things they need to live.
But surely if you are comparing 2 countries against a 3rd (ie US) mathematically, then it becomes relevant to use that to compare the 2 countries against each other?? If we said that Brian Lara was not quite as good a batsman as Don Bradman, but almost as good as him, and Stephen Fleming was nowhere near as good as Don Bradman, it stands to reason that Brian Lara is better than Stephen Fleming, does it not?

Measuring cost of living in 2 countries means measuring what it costs to live at exactly the same standard in both. For example, what is the cost of feeding a family of 4 per week, on exactly the same diet? What is the cost of renting a 3 bedroom home made of brick with a quarter acre section? The salary doesn't come into the actual cost of living measurement. So yes, Australians, on average, have a better salary, but then, they need to because of the higher cost of living. I think it is recognised worldwide that Australia has one of the highest Cost of Living in the world. But then again, Australians probably have more left over in their pocket each week after their weekly shop (ie the average higher wages probably more than compensate for the higher cost of living. Salaries in Oz, I think, are recognised as being high by world standards). I know you guys think I'm a bit of a dunce (or alternatively a know-it-all), lol, but in reality, believe it or not, I have a degree in this field (but that was a long time ago, admittedly, and I no longer work in that field, so I've probably forgotten half of what I learnt, but what I've written seems to make sense, at least to me)

Last edited by waikatoguy; Mar 11th 2012 at 9:53 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I am have contract work back in Sydney paying 70% more than what I was earning in Auckland (professional role). Another friend's husband has doubled his wages since moving over 2 years ago. .
Not to forget that Australia seems to be so much more alive than NZ. And Europe and the US and Hong Kong are so much more alive than Australia. With that I mean the information that you receive, things happening, opinions being uttered, inventions made, and new opportunities arising....NZ is "laid-back" - that is good for some people who like the attitude but not good for the economy. NZ will only get the "call centre jobs", never ever have anything close to a Steve Jobs, because these creative people thrive on information and input. And what NZ needs is a few Steve Jobs who will build companies that actually make a lot (sic!) of money (not tourist or agricultural companies which are mostly good for creating low-paid jobs). There are a few companies in NZ that already do that but not enough. NZ desperately needs to keep its entrepreneurs and inventors but I fear they all live overseas....
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:36 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather from Google, the average salary comparison is (roughly) as follows, before converting for exchange rate :

NZ = $NZ50,000
Aus = $AU65,000
UK = 26,000 pounds

Anyway, they are the figures. The thing about Oz is that the mining sector with an average of $103,000, accounts for the sector with the highest average salary, and if you took that sector out (seeing as how a lot of people dont want to work in mining), the figures would be somewhat different (he says, trying to make things sound better from a UK and NZ point of view).
The average Australian salary is $103,115 according to this web site.
http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre

The mining sector doesn't have the maximum average salary, Executive / Corporate Strategy does @ $303,667. Some subsectors of which have an average max of $400,000.

The mining, oil and gas sector have an average salary of $156,596 with an average max of $248,750.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

NZ = $NZ50,000
Aus = $AU65,000
UK = 26,000 pounds

PS Neither myself nor my friends are miners !! I think
actually a large number of migrants make in excess of
150% of their comparative NZ salary.
When you see roles here advertised at a pay rate you
used to earn 7 years ago when you are a qualified
professional having studied for 8 years to get it, you
know something is seriously f**ked with the NZ economy
and it's leadership under successive useless administrations
the past couple of decades
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:47 pm
Banned

But surely if you are comparing 2 countries against a 3rd (ie US) mathematically, then it becomes relevant to use that to compare the 2 countries against each other?? If we said that Brian Lara was not quite as good a batsman as Don Bradman, but almost as good as him, and Stephen Fleming was nowhere near as good as Don Bradman, it stands to reason that Brian Lara is better than Stephen Fleming, does it not?

Measuring cost of living in 2 countries means measuring what it costs to live at exactly the same standard in both. For example, what is the cost of feeding a family of 4 per week, on exactly the same diet? What is the cost of renting a 3 bedroom home made of brick with a quarter acre section? The salary doesn't come into the actual cost of living measurement. So yes, Australians, on average, have a better salary, but then, they need to because of the higher cost of living. I think it is recognised worldwide that Australia has one of the highest Cost of Living in the world. But then again, Australians probably have more left over in their pocket each week after their weekly shop (ie the average higher wages probably more than compensate for the higher cost of living. Salaries in Oz, I think, are recognised as being high by world standards). I know you guys think I'm a bit of a dunce (or alternatively a know-it-all), lol, but in reality, believe it or not, I have a degree in this field (but that was a long time ago, admittedly, and I no longer work in that field, so I've probably forgotten half of what I learnt, but what I've written seems to make sense, at least to me)
According to the Mercer data you misquoted the country with the highest cost of living is Angola, not Australia. You theory about high salaries causing a high cost of living kinda starts to fall apart at the first hurdle.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:53 pm
Banned

Same here, don't know a single miner. The nearest I've ever been to a mine was a day trip to Waihi in the Coromandel .

Here I see good quality 3rd year undergrads (on 4 years honours courses) being offered advance jobs on salaries that are comparable to managers with 5-10 years experience in New Zealand.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Mar 11th 2012 at 11:55 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:11 am

The average Australian salary is $103,115 according to this web site.
http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre

The mining sector doesn't have the maximum average salary, Executive / Corporate Strategy does @ $303,667. Some subsectors of which have an average max of $400,000.

The mining, oil and gas sector have an average salary of $156,596 with an average max of $248,750.
$103,155? That's ridiculous.
http://www.emigratetoaustralia.org/a...australia.html
Unless wages have almost doubled in the last 18 months, the average salary in 2010 was $64,641, according to the Australian bureau of statistics.
Hang on ... latest figure 2011. http://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/ $68791

And my point about mining being the highest paying sector is also illustrated on this page. According to this page, the average salary in the mining sector is $115,960 (2011). My figure before came from 2010 I think.

The next highest sector is Professional and Scientific at about $85,000 per annum. Executive/Corporate Strategy is not so much a sector (as in a sector of industry) but a profession (ie there are corporate executives in the mining sector, and those salaries are incorporated into that figure).

Last edited by waikatoguy; Mar 12th 2012 at 12:23 am.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:18 am

According to the Mercer data you misquoted the country with the highest cost of living is Angola, not Australia. You theory about high salaries causing a high cost of living kinda starts to fall apart at the first hurdle.
Where did I say that high salaries cause a high cost of living? That is far from the truth in many cases. Australia has one of the highest cost of livings in the world. No one with any economic understanding would dispute that. Australia also has one of the highest wage economies in the world. No one would dispute that either (both a lot down to the high value of the Oz dollar). But no where did I say that high salaries cause a high cost of living (although they may be linked in many cases). For example. Do we assume that plumbers in Australia receive a higher wage than plumbers in NZ? If so, then where does this extra wage come from? Thin air? No, the consumer pays.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Mar 12th 2012 at 12:30 am.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:28 am

Well, the numbers don't lie ! The australian bureau of statistics is highly unlikely to underplay their stats just as much as Mercer's are unlikely to underplay theirs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.