Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Turn out the lights would you?

Turn out the lights would you?

Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Turn out the lights would you?

38,100 left NZ for Oz last year. Apparently many from Canterbury who had enough of the shaky city. One man managed to triple his wages in the same type of work by simply moving to Oz (Perth). If you are yet to come and have an open mind, don't mind the heat and the hugeness of the country, Oz must surely be given serious consideration before moving to NZ.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turn out the lights would you?

Yeah.. we tried to get into OZ for almost a whole year. We've found it very hard because of the immigration rules about daves job. things are changing for it now and i think if we were to get a offer from oz we'd find it hard to turn down over new zealand. New zealand has different positive points over oz though. It's a hard one
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

positives for new zealand for us - more space, less complicated life, better climate than UK but less extreme than oz, laid back lifestyle (hopefully)

negatives - low wages compared to cost of living, seems to be less choice of products than oz or uk

positives for oz - much better job prospects for us, weather when not extremely hot! chance to earn some really good money, family in melbourne, wildlife

negatives - snakes, spiders, high cost of living, extreme weather, high cost of property and living
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably to be expected because of the earthquakes, it is worth noting the piece you missed however and that is Auckland actually experienced a positive flow of people.

Perth is not a place I (or most East Coast Australians) would like to live either, very expensive, very boring, uncultured, full of cashed up bogans and very isolated.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

perth was where we looked at first, isolation doesnt bother me too much but yeah your right about it being expensive. I think I'd move to queensland now if we ever went over
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in oz for a year and the snakes and spiders thing is bollocks. I didnt see a single snake
and the only spiders I saw where hutsman that are harmless, they just look scary cos of the size
and TBH only a very few are any bigger than a uk house spider.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Probably to be expected because of the earthquakes, it is worth noting the piece you missed however and that is Auckland actually experienced a positive flow of people.

Perth is not a place I (or most East Coast Australians) would like to live either, very expensive, very boring, uncultured, full of cashed up bogans and very isolated.
Ditto Perth. Think i would sooner be back in Northampton! Just so madly isolated.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
I lived in oz for a year and the snakes and spiders thing is bollocks. I didnt see a single snake
and the only spiders I saw where hutsman that are harmless, they just look scary cos of the size
and TBH only a very few are any bigger than a uk house spider.
Its the sharks that would worry me (the aquatic kind). Mind you a couple of kiwi sharks had me for lunch and the shirt off my back so no where is safe eh?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

38100 thats 104 leaving everyday !!
How many are coming back ?? I know of a few
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
38100 thats 104 leaving everyday !!
How many are coming back ?? I know of a few
They are floating back from NSW.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

We tired Oz but husbands job was not on the skill list so looked at NZ as I have a friend who lives in Napier who I knew in the uk and plus are the best of friends. She loves NZ btw never been on BE as she's happy
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
Mind you a couple of kiwi sharks had me for lunch and the shirt off my back so no where is safe eh?

Good to see you still have your sanity.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:39 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
positives for new zealand for us - more space, less complicated life, better climate than UK but less extreme than oz, laid back lifestyle (hopefully)

negatives - low wages compared to cost of living, seems to be less choice of products than oz or uk

positives for oz - much better job prospects for us, weather when not extremely hot! chance to earn some really good money, family in melbourne, wildlife

negatives - snakes, spiders, high cost of living, extreme weather, high cost of property and living
I've lived in all three places (plus some others) and the climate here in Queensland has to be the best out of all of them.

Warm winters (low 20s) hottish summers (usually low 30s) are balanced out by a couple of months where the humidity gets high, but at least it is warm when it's damp here.

My family's lives in all three countries has been as complicated or as laid back as we've wanted them to be, what the country happens to be doesn't make much difference, to be honest with you. You can probably find what you're looking for in Britain if you look hard enough.

Cost of living? well there's not much to chose between any of them and all three countries have their expensive and cheap things. What does make a big difference though is income.

The salaries are a LOT higher here in Australia, we definitely take a big drop in income if we moved to back to NZ, or the UK.

I think houses are quite reasonably priced here, you get a lot for your money and there's always new land being released - making sure that even first time buyers get a good start with property ownership.

As for snakes and spiders. We don't even think about them, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Mozzies are more of a problem, both here and in NZ, midges in parts of Britain. Insects the world over bite, UK and NZ homes seldom have fly screens, whereas they're commonplace here.

One of the downsides to both NZ and Australia is the intensity of the sun, those UV rays can really fry your skin. TBH if you've got kids that's far more of a worry than spiders and snakes.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:42 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
perth was where we looked at first, isolation doesnt bother me too much but yeah your right about it being expensive. I think I'd move to queensland now if we ever went over
Haha!! best place in Australia
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I've lived in all three places (plus some others) and the climate here in Queensland has to be the best out of all of them.
Actually Melbourne has probably got the best climate in Australia, 4 definite seasons and it is probably the most similar to the Mediterranean or Southern Californian (which I think has the perfect climate) in Australia. I hate humidity and dampness - although the last couple of summers have been rubbish, but that is the same in many places recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.