Turangi?

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turangi?

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Turangi is actually 45 mins to an hour from Taupo, and you would be far better driving from here to there rather than living there. I like Turangi, and we go to a couple of weekend bike meets there each year, but living there would be a different matter.
He might want to check out the Hilton website as they're recruiting for hospitality staff for the soon to open Taupo Hotel complex.
As for Tokaanu hot pools, believe me, they aren't a selling point for Turangi.
That's a great idea...he can commute from Taupo to a job somewhere else and then eventually maybe get sth in Taupo itself. I'm sure you'd have a wider choice of schools in Taupo with a wider decile range. I've stayed in Taupo twice as a tourist for several nights and liked it. You'd expect a decile 2 school to have a lot of families on benefits attending it..that's essentially what decile 2 implies.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 3rd 2009 at 12:53 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:19 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Ok so docile rating equals snob value then?

Sorry but after checking out the link and some the schools in the area I was amazed to see such a low rating from some of the schools we percieved as being good schools. I wonder how up to date the information is?

Tell you what if our PR application relied on securing a job and it happened to be in Turangi I would be putting up with the town until I could move on. You never know you might just like the place like we did. However we did buy a house elsewhere and still ended up working in Turangi several reasons for that.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
Ok so docile rating equals snob value then?
Yeah..something like that ...decile ratings, NZ's gift to the middle class...don't know if other countries also have them?
In UK at least you can go on 'value added' performance stats which is less snobbish. Decile has no relation to the school's performance just the income level of the families. You can be as politically correct as you want to be but we all know that lack of money means more social problems, harder to retain staff etc etc which equals a higher risk environment for your 'precious child'.

Interesting point you make about how up to date they are, no idea. I have heard of schools not wanting to be upgraded though because it means state funding falls and the parental contribution increases.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Thanks for everyone views.

But Turangi has now been croosed off the list. Yesterday OH got a phone call, someone offering a job in Auckland city.....very exciting. Think that it may be a better option i.e. more oppurtunities for work for me and more choice of school.........whatever the rating!

Only problem the pay on this job offer is rubbish Need to find reasonably priced area within commuting distance for the city.....any ideas?

Dawn X
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:53 am
Banned

Oh well scrap what I was going to say in defense of Turangi

Anyways the last line on the topic was going to be better to be on a low income in Turangi with cheap cost of living that on a higher income in Auckland and in debt.

Each to there own I guess.

Last edited by Madmaxdeux; Oct 3rd 2009 at 8:57 am.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:33 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
.....better to be on a low income in Turangi with cheap cost of living that on a higher income in Auckland and in debt.
This I agree with completely. And from OUR point of view (jaffas stay calm), we didn't come to NZ to get into debt, we are now debt free, and Turangi would be preferable to me than Auckland. Bear in mind though, we came from the Isle of Wight and I just don't like city living, hence Taupo fits our bill completely.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

Very true and thats one the reasons we also settled in the area the cost of housing and laid back no hassle lifestyle. The fact is we 3 bedroom house double garage (that fits 4 cars) a large section and 3 cars (3rd car is the spare...lol) and we know we can survive on the worst case income scenario of Unemployment benefit and have without giving anything up or getting into debt. Would love to see how that would be possible in a city and Taupo is an bit of a metropolis for us now I can not say we are truly out of bebt as we have an $80k Home loan to repay. Small change debt really!