Turangi?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all
Default Turangi?

Hi,

OH still in NZ and has got an interview next week in Turangi. Had a look on t'internet and not quite sure about the place. Can anyone report any good points about the place? I don't ski and can't understand fishing!

If you can only think of negative things to say, take into consideration that it may be an option to get us there, and doesn't need to be forever.

Thanks

Dawn X
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turangi?

We stopped there en-route from Auckland to Chch.

Had a night in one of the camp sites - so can't claim to know too much about the area. All round Lake Taupo was beautiful, and the town was quite pleasant. Depends what you want .... if you're one for shopping etc, it's probably not the best place - but if you want somewhere quiet, with the great outdoors at your feet then I'd imagine it's wonderful.

Lou
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:12 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

I am guessing OH has an interview for either the Prison Service or DoC?

What I can tell you about Turangi is it is a satellite town in effect for Taupo and it is not a bad place to live for the great outdoors. You got some great walking and cycling tracks with an hour of the place. If you are a city person then no it is not the place for you but then 90% of NZ is not for you either. Its a lovely Town has a Supermarket, Shopping centre (nothing flash), Couple of service stations and yes a Burger King along with the campsite, few building suppliers, Fire/ambo and Police stations. Few minutes down the road is Tookanu and the hot pools and 30 minutes up the road is the metropolis of Taupo.

Lets put it this way if it is for a temporary move I am sure you will like it, many people have temporary moved to Turangi and are still there and there are quite a few British Migrants living there most work at DoC or at the prison.

If your new life hinges on moving to Turangi then take it you can be in worse places and the cost of living ie rent is so much lower than the big smokes.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, its in the middle of nowhere and probably the coldest place in the country in the winter.

In the summer I guess it could be quite pleasant for a while, but would you really want to live there?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:34 am
Banned

I disagree with you there Browner and I have lived there when I was working for DOC thats how I know it is and have a few mates living there thanks.

It is actually sheltered from the Southerly cold winds in winter by the mountains especially Pihanga and you can not see the Snow covered volcanoes from the town. Taupo gets it cold though from those southerlies as the whip across the lake. Turangi is only 400metres above sea level and gets quite warm even in summer it just lacks that humidity.

Your thinking of Waiouru 40kms south and 600m higher now that place IS the middle of Nowhere and Cold.

Turangi is Autumn is beautiful from the lookout above the town the Trees turn a vivid red before dropping and now (spring) the blossums are out in force.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
I disagree with you there Browner and I have lived there when I was working for DOC thats how I know it is and have a few mates living there thanks.

It is actually sheltered from the Southerly cold winds in winter by the mountains especially Pihanga and you can not see the Snow covered volcanoes from the town. Taupo gets it cold though from those southerlies as the whip across the lake. Turangi is only 400metres above sea level and gets quite warm even in summer it just lacks that humidity.

Your thinking of Waiouru 40kms south and 600m higher now that place IS the middle of Nowhere and Cold.

Turangi is Autumn is beautiful from the lookout above the town the Trees turn a vivid red before dropping and now (spring) the blossums are out in force.
do you live there?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:43 am
Banned

I work in Turangi live out of town.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
I am guessing OH has an interview for either the Prison Service or DoC?

What I can tell you about Turangi is it is a satellite town in effect for Taupo and it is not a bad place to live for the great outdoors. You got some great walking and cycling tracks with an hour of the place. If you are a city person then no it is not the place for you but then 90% of NZ is not for you either. Its a lovely Town has a Supermarket, Shopping centre (nothing flash), Couple of service stations and yes a Burger King along with the campsite, few building suppliers, Fire/ambo and Police stations. Few minutes down the road is Tookanu and the hot pools and 30 minutes up the road is the metropolis of Taupo.

Lets put it this way if it is for a temporary move I am sure you will like it, many people have temporary moved to Turangi and are still there and there are quite a few British Migrants living there most work at DoC or at the prison.

If your new life hinges on moving to Turangi then take it you can be in worse places and the cost of living ie rent is so much lower than the big smokes.

Thanks for the comment, put my mind at ease a little.
Don't know what DOC is, but I am sure he's not interviewing for it!
It's for a job as a bar manager at 'Four Fish' know it?
The rents are really cheap. And I'm releived that there is a supermarket, it doesn't show it on the website.

Do you know anything about the schools. My daughter is 12 (year 8) and there only seems to be 1 school that caters for years 1 - 15 !!

Thanks again

Dawn X
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

DoC is the Department of Conservation

My employers kids go to Turangi school so it can not be that bad other than the school trips that I see them on I dont know much about the school. My own kids go to our local school which is what you would call rural.

I dont know "Four Fish" personally but then there are a lot of employers and places I have not taken much notice of in Turangi that I dont know or visit. When you think about it it is not a small town really.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Turangi?

Funnily enough it was in the news today:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...600930&ref=rss

This stuff could happen in any isolated country location hence why campers don't appeal to me.

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/disp...?school_id=476 Is this school?

I've done the tourist thing in Tongariro National Park and loved it but that's not the same as living there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turangi

You could do worse in that it is only a short drive (in NZ terms) from Taupo, I personally would be worried about a decile 2 school though.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 2nd 2009 at 4:54 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Yeh, I'm worried about the school being decile 2 aswell.

Dawn X
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Taupo's a real tourist centre with lots of bars and restaurants - would have thought he could get sth there in preference.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:17 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Turangi is actually 45 mins to an hour from Taupo, and you would be far better driving from here to there rather than living there. I like Turangi, and we go to a couple of weekend bike meets there each year, but living there would be a different matter.
He might want to check out the Hilton website as they're recruiting for hospitality staff for the soon to open Taupo Hotel complex.
As for Tokaanu hot pools, believe me, they aren't a selling point for Turangi.

The robbery previously mentioned took place 25km from Turangi, so I would pretty much discard that, but it is a town with a high rate of families on bennies, so don't expect a glittering socia life. There again, we haven't got one here in Taupo, but we're happy.

They do have a sh#t hot bakery though. I was working in the shopping precinct on Thursday, popped round for a steak and cheese, and it was up there with the best.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by blackburn lass
Yeh, I'm worried about the school being decile 2 aswell.

Dawn X
Someone explain to me what the decile rating is supposed to mean?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Turangi is actually 45 mins to an hour from Taupo, and you would be far better driving from here to there rather than living there.
Fair point and we do not live in Turangi or Taupo but it is in easy reach of many of the outlying settlements. Its not unheard of for people to live up to an hour away and travel to work either in Turangi or travel to work from Turangi. As long as you got a set of wheels you not stuck to living within walking distance of work. hazeandsteve you probably know about the new subdivisions going up on the western shoreline of Lake Taupo?

Bit of an unfair comment
but it is a town with a high rate of families on bennies,
there is a lot of seasonal work attached to the Tourism industry in the area and it is an area that is growing in popularity to live.

You got to admit though there are a lot of ex pats living in the area so it cant be that bad a place?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.