Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

TRUCKERS WANTING SPONSORSHIP FOR NZ

TRUCKERS WANTING SPONSORSHIP FOR NZ

Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:23 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: TRUCKERS WANTING SPONSORSHIP FOR NZ

From what I read its a very big IF and you wont get PR through Truck driving.

I dont know the answer to that question simply because I got PR based on the old points sytem with the factor of my wife being a Chef and my brother already being in country. She was principle applicant I just helped with 3 points from my Brothers Citizinship sponsorship.

I do know the fundementals of the crazy driver licencing system that has done my head in over the last 10 months getting first a error rectified on my UK conversion from 1996 and subsequant upgrading to all other groups of NZ licence.

One word of caution for anyone converting a UK Licence, some LTSA agents ask you to surrender your UK Licence. DO NOT DO THIS.

Like I said earlier they gave my wife a NZ Class 2 licence and she has never driven a truck

Think thats where we get the Skill and the Experiance part mixed up.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

If I stick to my original plan and come over via Hubbys job offer (truck driver) and this occupation is removed from the immediate skill list. I wonder how long we would get to get out the country?Think I will phone NZ embassy to clear up a few points to see if there would be any options open to us if this did in fact happen.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 5:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jill1420
If I stick to my original plan and come over via Hubbys job offer (truck driver) and this occupation is removed from the immediate skill list. I wonder how long we would get to get out the country?Think I will phone NZ embassy to clear up a few points to see if there would be any options open to us if this did in fact happen.
I believe you'd have a month to sort out your affairs. Alternatively, you could switch to another job and apply for a work permit from the new employment. We did that a couple of years ago when I was off work with a broken leg. My wife became the principle applicant on the basis of her job and I got an open work permit as her dependent.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks happynz
Old Aug 19th 2007, 7:57 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

I dont claim to understand the Immigration criteria but for residency dont you have to have a skill required by New Zealand to get PR or a work visa now days?
That was the case with my wife and I, she was the Chef my skills/experiance meant nothing. Our situation was the the PR application was accepted but she had to secure a job to speed up the process. As we was told from our immigration officer it would take 3 months that 3 months got longer as we were pushed down the list. Only was to jump to the top was get a Chefs position.
I cant see how you could change jobs to one not on the skills shortage list without voiding your Work Visa ?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Colin,

Im getting a bit mixed up myself. Im going to have to phone/email NZ embassy with a couple of queries.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:24 am
Banned

Sounds like a plan, I spoke to a couple of Livestock Haulers in the area and well no many answers. Not that it surprised me either
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
I dont claim to understand the Immigration criteria
You may find THIS SITE helpful.

Hi Jill1420

HappyNZ wrote :- I believe you'd have a month to sort out your affairs. Alternatively, you could switch to another job and apply for a work permit from the new employment.
If the HGV came off the immediate shortage list, then you would be given a timeframe to sort out your affairs , as HappyNZ stated.
There would be nothing to stop you or your husband searching for another NZ job offer and applying for a variation to your work permits.

If the job offer was neither on the long term or immediate shortage list and did not come from an acredited employer, then the NZ employer offering you the job would need to apply for an Approval In Principle . This means that the employer would need to show NZIS that there was no suitable New Zealand Resident able or willing to take the job. They would show proof of advertising , company training etc.
For the employer to apply for an Approval In Principle , it is a simple NZIS form available to download via the NZIS website.

Form 1112

Once NZIS did the checks and were satisfied , a work permit would be issued.

With regard to PR:-

As Phil01 has stated, you cannot gain PR direct from a shortage skill which is listed on the Immediate Shortage list.

However.... if you worked at that skill but through an acredited employer, then possibly you may be eligible through the work to residence route.( there are conditions - rate of pay is one of them)

Fulton Hogan springs to mind for instance , but I'm sure Phil01 can confirm or correct on this one. Him being our very own skilled resident UK to NZ HGV trucker.

If you look at the first option in Tool Box to the right of THIS NZIS PAGE, you will see the list of acredited employers.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 19th 2007 at 3:53 pm. Reason: add the bit about rate of pay.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:22 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=BEVS here;5210160]You may find THIS SITE helpful.

Not that it matters to me

So much confliction of information in this post seems that experiances make no differance to some peoples views.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sorry to jump back to the beginning of the thread. Just realised Id missed the bit about sponsoring. So am I right in saying.......If your employer sponsors you on work to residence.........you can get PR via truck driving?
Hi Jill -

From the NZIS website.

My occupation is NOT on the Long Term Skill Shortage List

If you have a job offer from a New Zealand employer but your occupation is not on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, you may be able to apply under our Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy. This policy is for people who have job offers from employers who we have accredited to recruit staff from overseas. See the requirements for this policy.
and

To be approved for residence you must:

* have held a work visa or permit granted under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy for at least 24 months
* have been employed in New Zealand during the currency of that visa or permit for a period of 24 months by an accredited employer (or another employer if you were granted a Variation of Conditions to your work permit by Immigration New Zealand)
* have current employment in New Zealand with a base salary of at least NZ$45,000 per year (or at least NZ$50,000 per year if your Work Visa or Permit application under this policy was made on or after 30 July 2007)
* hold full or provisional registration, if full or provisional registration is required to practise in your occupation in New Zealand.

Please note the reference to the NZ employer being accredited and also to the salary required.

Sometimes reading through the NZ Employers guide is helpful when trying to understand the various policies and requirements.

NZIS Employers Guide It's a pdf file
Old Aug 19th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Jill,

if you get a work visa for 3 years and after 1 year the skill is removed from the immediate skills shortage list you still have a valid visa for 2 further years. The problem would come when you want to renew it, if the skill is no longer on the list it may be more difficult to renew.

So I would aim to get the longest visa possible which is 3 years, during which time if you secure a job meeting wtr or skilled migrant, as I have done (Debbie) then you apply for wtr or put in your EOI with you as the main applicant.

The main issue being for Truckers where the partner does not work as the chances of getting residence are less likely unless they can buy into a business etc...

The bit earlier about employer sponsorship...was about not trusting everything an employer tells you. There is a driver shortage over here but companies cannot bypass immigration and we know a lot of drivers over here none of which have got PR through legitimate reasons. For example some employers will take you on as a driver but then tell immigration you are a transport manager to get you residency...however, you must then be prepared to jump through the log book hoops that they throw at you, I'm sure your hubby will understand what I mean...not worth it!

The work ethic over here is work work work family comes second, from my experience, unfortunately most families coming over here are thinking better life and it is in some respects, but in transport companies want and expect 14 hour days, 5 days a week so finding the right company and being assertive is important.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 7:47 pm
Banned

The work ethic over here is work work work family comes second, from my experience, unfortunately most families coming over here are thinking better life and it is in some respects, but in transport companies want and expect 14 hour days, 5 days a week so finding the right company and being assertive is important.
Now that part I argee on! They will milk every hour they can get out of you, one employer I spoke with recently for a Bus Driving position was quite chuffed to tell me that I would be (not could be) driving 60-70 hours a week over the summer yea thats 11 hours per day 6 days per week.
Same thing came from another employer for carrot packing, the idea of driving nearly an hour to and from then working 12 hours per day/ 6 days did not grab me Even suggested a job share with my wife working 3 days each. Response was ALL or Nothing! Same employer complains they cant get enough staff wonder why?

Driving hours over here are total of 11 not 9 as in the UK hours per day. 5 1/2 hours as opposed to 41/2 hours before a break is required. Like Phil has said you got to find the right employer, otherwise you will be working every waking hour seeing your family 1 maybe 2 days per week.
Personally I feel the longer hours you work the greater the risk of accidents.
In my book its not worth it.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Jill,

if you get a work visa for 3 years and after 1 year the skill is removed from the immediate skills shortage list you still have a valid visa for 2 further years. The problem would come when you want to renew it, if the skill is no longer on the list it may be more difficult to renew.

So I would aim to get the longest visa possible which is 3 years, during which time if you secure a job meeting wtr or skilled migrant, as I have done (Debbie) then you apply for wtr or put in your EOI with you as the main applicant.

The main issue being for Truckers where the partner does not work as the chances of getting residence are less likely unless they can buy into a business etc...

The bit earlier about employer sponsorship...was about not trusting everything an employer tells you. There is a driver shortage over here but companies cannot bypass immigration and we know a lot of drivers over here none of which have got PR through legitimate reasons. For example some employers will take you on as a driver but then tell immigration you are a transport manager to get you residency...however, you must then be prepared to jump through the log book hoops that they throw at you, I'm sure your hubby will understand what I mean...not worth it!

For example some employers will take you on as a driver but then tell immigration you are a transport manager to get you residency...

If I am reading right then surely I should be able to go for PR as I have the necessary quals........Deb, I think a phone call to you is needed. Could you PM me your number so I can get this straight, only if you don't mind that is.

Nici
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kato33
For example some employers will take you on as a driver but then tell immigration you are a transport manager to get you residency...

If I am reading right then surely I should be able to go for PR as I have the necessary quals........Deb, I think a phone call to you is needed. Could you PM me your number so I can get this straight, only if you don't mind that is.

Nici
Hi Nici,

That was the way not to do it!! As in dodgy employers will tell immigration one thing when you do another as such you are in their debt not to mention if you get caught out will get deported!

Yes will pm you my number...As a transport manager you may be able to get PR. My job HR Advisor is not on the ISSL or the LTSSL but it is in one of the see the other documents list as are most management or professional jobs.

However, you must have the necessary work experience and qualifications whatever they may be for the role in question...the CPC is a short course can be taken by anyone and only takes a few weeks not on the list of courses they would recognise such as a uni qualification...for example, I did the NEBSM supervisory management course for a year which got me no points, on top of the qualification side of things they want evidence of your work experience in that role, for example if you are wanting to apply as a transport manager then how long have you been a transport manager in the UK, or is it something you have yet to get into in the UK?

For us to get skilled migrant I have had to submit my course transcripts which was 4 years part time at uni, 1 year foundation, 1 year PgCert, 2 years PgDip at uni, on top of that I have had to show relevant work experience by getting references from my past employers to say what my role was and from my current employer to say how my past exp and quals have played a significant role in me obtaining this employment.

So to go for TM 1) you need to see if it is on the list, 2) do you have any relevant work experience, 3) will your qualification be recognised.

Those are the minor hurdles because the biggest hurdle for you will be getting a job in transport. As said before there is little evidence of equality over here (sorry but my opinion), as a woman are men (predominantly Maori) going to take orders from you, the perception would be no. The TM's are usually ex drivers because they know the roads, the loads, the rules, can cover for driver absence as they have the licence and can relate as they have been there done that so getting yourself into the role of transport manager I think is going to be extremely difficult.

But good luck to you for trying...I still say the best route for you to get your PR is through Public Sector...they pay over the $50k wtr threshold and are all accredited...check out the police, local authorities and health boards...sooo much easier than trying to fight your way through the (a woman can't possibly do this cr**) Make it as easy as you can on yourselves...you won't change the mentality over here so you have to get what you want whilst playing within their rules!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Debs,

Thanks! Itsgood to know that if we come over via our original route and trucking is removed that I will have to the end of my visa before I need to start panicing.
I hope with my police experience and classroom/school experience I will be able to secure a job in those sectors as that looks like the best route for us to get PR.

Thanks BEV youve been a great help

Thanks for your input Colin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.