Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:36 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Also, Sorry to sound stupid, but my children are only tiny at the moment. What is a decile?? Is the higher the decile the better the school?
The decile just tells you about the socio-economic make-up of the parents who send their children to that school. It isn't an indication of how good the school is. Decile 10 is the top i.e. rich(ish) parents and decile 1 the bottom i.e. poor parents. You need to read the ERO repots about each school to find out how good they are (like OFSTED). Houses in zoned areas for good schools tend to be more expensive (just like the UK then!).

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Thanks Spid!

There is so much to think about when you have children. Will have to get checking out the primary schools fro when we get there.

Lou
x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Trouble at daughter's school -advice - update

Just a wee update, my wife went in to speak with the teacher's manager and things are being addressed. Its been recognised that the teacher has to adapt her style after having done teacher training in secondary schools. She hasn't changed her style accordingly!
She will work more closely with experienced teachers to see how they deal with 7 / 8 year olds.
She also has to ease up on the difficulty and amount of homework she sets.

Anyway we are at a parent's evening tomorrow so that will be another chance to talk things through - calmly . I am sure it won't all be plain sailing but hopefully should settle down. As I said my daughter has made friends at the school so to change again would be a big upheaval

Cheers for all the advice
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:01 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trouble at daughter's school -advice - update

Originally Posted by turkeys
Just a wee update, my wife went in to speak with the teacher's manager and things are being addressed. Its been recognised that the teacher has to adapt her style after having done teacher training in secondary schools. She hasn't changed her style accordingly!
She will work more closely with experienced teachers to see how they deal with 7 / 8 year olds.
She also has to ease up on the difficulty and amount of homework she sets.

Anyway we are at a parent's evening tomorrow so that will be another chance to talk things through - calmly . I am sure it won't all be plain sailing but hopefully should settle down. As I said my daughter has made friends at the school so to change again would be a big upheaval

Cheers for all the advice
that's fantastic news. for your daughter's sake I hope the teacher realises the error of her ways and sorts her act out.

good on you for seeing it through

Kate.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

thanks Kate, its more a case of her being told the error of her ways. That sort of approach to teaching should be consigned to history! Will get a better feel for things when we see her again. Previously, when we spoke to her she kind of told us how she was doing things. Being new here perhaps we didnt stand up enough, but have made it clear what we expect of the school and her now.

I think its been raised by another parent too, so its up to her now.

Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:23 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Potentially a good result, you must feel relieved. Hope it has the desired effect and this teacher loosens up a bit.

I wasn't surprised to read that she was trained in a high school.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
sorry to hear of your trouble at school. It has been ages since I have posted on this site. Just curious which school was it? My two oldest boys went to Petone Central, we ended up pulling the oldest out and sending him privately to Hutt International (he didn't get at place at Hutt Intermediate) and the middle to Hutt Central, our youngest also went to Hutt Central. They were both very happy there, good school, strict in the right way. Our middle one was only there one week before we were pulled in to be told eveything was not quite right, sure enough he was dyslexic and dyspraxic. His teacher spent ages coming up with solutions to help him, we loved the school and we very nervous bringing them to England knowing what a great state school we were leaving.
Good luck with you decision but go have a look.
KAZ