Bicycles

Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice
Default Bicycles

Need to buy a bike for my OH. Would appreciate any suggestions as to which outlet i should go to in Welly? Don't want to spend loads especially since the last time she used one was in her teens. Wooha
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:43 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bicycles

Originally Posted by Knightm
Need to buy a bike for my OH. Would appreciate any suggestions as to which outlet i should go to in Welly? Don't want to spend loads especially since the last time she used one was in her teens. Wooha
Wal-Mart?...

Sorry not much help. I haven't used my bike since we got here!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

yeah right...get a plan to buy a bike.....lol
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:41 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

would Trademe be any good to you?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

If you are not sure she is going to use it, then they do sell them in K-mart don't they???
Another question on bikes as well, can any one tell me what are the laws on wearing helmets?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

It's compulsory for all cyclists on New Zealand roads to wear cycle helmets. Your cycle helmet must:

* meet an approved standard (see below)
* be securely fastened.

Every cycle helmet must meet an approved standard. Your helmet should have a sticker inside it stating which standard it complies with.

The approved standards stickers are:

Complies with standard ASTM F1447-1994
Complies with standards AS/NZS 2063:1996, NZS 5439 or AS 2063.2
Snell standard B90 and B95 sticker.
Complies with European standard EN 1078.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission's bicycle helmet safety standard is also approved.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

To buy an entry level decent bike you are talking about $500+, I've been looking to buy but a few other things cropped up that needed my cash more....suggestion I had was make sure you get one with disk brakes due to the hills here!!!

I would look in Penny Farthing on Courtney Place, Rocket Bikes/Cycles at the Airport Retail Place in Lyall Bay or On Your Bike (I think!?!?) on Vivian St in town
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ouch.

Thanks a lot. Will get to see these outlets
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch.

Thanks a lot. Will get to see these outlets
Going by you location, have you tried J'ville Cycles, or there is a place in Porirua called Pack n Pedal (I think!) which has a sale on just now
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

went to Jville and the cheapest one was 450. Will try the porirua one. Unless wife is going to cycle back home, it won't fit in the car so mkaes sense going for somewhere near home
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru14
To buy an entry level decent bike you are talking about $500+, I've been looking to buy but a few other things cropped up that needed my cash more....suggestion I had was make sure you get one with disk brakes due to the hills here!!!
Careful about disk brakes on long downhill stretches. Fluid ones will fail if they are held on for a long decent... (this is scary trust me!) Also if you use your brakes alot they do rattle through pads.

For road riding normal vee brakes should be fine unles you ride in the rain.. lots!

Mrs bin has got a nice Giant bike. Cost about $300 all in I think.

Enjoy the roads!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Careful about disk brakes on long downhill stretches. Fluid ones will fail if they are held on for a long decent... (this is scary trust me!) Also if you use your brakes alot they do rattle through pads.

For road riding normal vee brakes should be fine unles you ride in the rain.. lots!

Mrs bin has got a nice Giant bike. Cost about $300 all in I think.

Enjoy the roads!
Haven't seen any new Giant bikes in Welly for less that $500...

So living in Wellington, some brakes are bad for lots of downhill, others bad in lots of rain, great!!!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Haven't seen any new Giant bikes in Welly for less that $500...

So living in Wellington, some brakes are bad for lots of downhill, others bad in lots of rain, great!!!
Well hers was cheap because i got it at the same time as mine.. which wasn't

Does anyone except me actually ride in the rain anyway?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Not me for sure! I don;t even know how to ride one.....probably I'm the only 1 in Welly:curse:
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:32 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Walking down Manchester Street the other day and saw in the shop window of one of the numerous bike shops in central Christchuch a flash road bike that could be yours fo a paltry NZ$26,000!

Last edited by happynz; Mar 15th 2008 at 10:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.