The Traveler

Old Sep 17th 2019, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Traveler

My son sent me this. I think many of us, no matter how settled we are can relate to it. I just thought I'd share it.

Old Sep 17th 2019, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Traveler

Life in exile is not easy.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
Life in exile is not easy.
True
Old Sep 19th 2019, 5:28 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I can resonate to some degree, we're hardly in exile. Most of us made a conscious decision to explore a new life abroad and can return to our home land should we choose...
Old Sep 19th 2019, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Pom_Chch. Most people who emigrate have that void (longing) for something else when they embark on the move. That same sense of longing, which is often an underlying general dissatisfaction with life then shifts to what you've left behind once you arrive. For some it's less prounouced while for others it will eventually cause them to return "home", only to find that the "home" is not exactly how they left it and neither are they. Discombulated. I think the distance and time difference makes this much more pronounced than other places in the world but ultimately we're lucky to have the freedom to make such choices, even if at times it can feel like a self-constructed prison.

That being said, it's definitely an impressive piece of art.

Last edited by Verdant; Sep 19th 2019 at 11:04 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 1:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perhaps reading the MBTTUK forum will show how hard it can be to make a return and also how easily some settle once returned.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 11:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know the word nostalgia derives from two Greek words? Nostos meaning "to return home" and algos meaning "pain."

Humans we love to belong, know our place, feel safe and such. Unfortunately that is also deeply unfulfilling, blame the restless feet of our ancestors or the siren song of the open road but we seem destined to move onwards, even if we look back fondly upon the the past although it predated a discontinuity in our lives. That past was never static, your life would have changed, the future wasn't certain despite how it might feel projected in retrospect. So when people try to return they are often disappointed because they are seeking a past that never really existed.

Nostalgia, the pain of returning home.