Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Brits leaving in droves...apparently

Brits leaving in droves...apparently

Old Aug 26th 2019, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brits leaving in droves...apparently

A 5 minute internet search would have told these clowns everything they needed to know

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...gested-live-in

Old Aug 26th 2019, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits leaving in droves...apparently

Originally Posted by Justcol
A 5 minute internet search would have told these clowns everything they needed to know

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...gested-live-in
This is one of many examples of New Zealand Media at it's finest. They are repeating the comments of random strangers on the internet and not adding any more to it.

I started ignoring the media here a few years ago - although based on their past efforts this thread might be in the news before too long!
Old Aug 26th 2019, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
This is one of many examples of New Zealand Media at it's finest. They are repeating the comments of random strangers on the internet and not adding any more to it.

I started ignoring the media here a few years ago - although based on their past efforts this thread might be in the news before too long!
There is another version on Stuff where the writer says " the couple from Hereford told Stuff" and then copies and pastes the same text as everyone else which is obviously lifted from the Facebook page. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to stir things up, this was rapidly followed by another story highlighting the growing number if Chinese and Indian migrants heading this way
Old Aug 27th 2019, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You know what the NZ media is like, give them any hint of johnny foreigners daring to step out of line and admit that NZ just 'ain't all that' will send them all into a spin.

Considering everyone is supposed to be fleeing the woes of UK and imminent Brexit shenanigans, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to see that the numbers of applicants from UK has tailed off.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/opinion/115328...to-new-zealand
Old Aug 27th 2019, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You know what the NZ media is like, give them any hint of johnny foreigners daring to step out of line and admit that NZ just 'ain't all that' will send them all into a spin.

Considering everyone is supposed to be fleeing the woes of UK and imminent Brexit shenanigans, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to see that the numbers of applicants from UK has tailed off.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/opinion/115328...to-new-zealand
Surly though this is media outlets the world over? You know the old saying "good news doesn't sell" 😁🙄
I know here in England the media outlets don't stop banging on about how bad it will be to fall out of Europe and into WTO rules, personally I don't think it will be that bad, in the short term yes maybe but in the long term I think it will be better! But what do I no I just drive a truck 😂
But with regards to NZ being "so expensive" is that not a relative statement? If you say lived in Grimsby and moved to Auckland then yes I'm sure it would appear that way. But if you moved to NZ after doing research and a holiday recce you should really have a better idea of the costs of things and whether or not you can afford a life over there. Personally speaking as a truck driver in the uk wanting to immigrate to NZ I understand that I can earn £35,000 here but in NZ it will be more. So the costs of groceries, rent, heating etc in NZ will feel like more in comparison to the UK but you can't compare because I'm earning more in NZ. If that makes sense lol and if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected 😁👍
Old Aug 27th 2019, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
But if you moved to NZ after doing research and a holiday recce you should really have a better idea of the costs of things and whether or not you can afford a life over there. Personally speaking as a truck driver in the uk wanting to immigrate to NZ I understand that I can earn £35,000 here but in NZ it will be more. So the costs of groceries, rent, heating etc in NZ will feel like more in comparison to the UK but you can't compare because I'm earning more in NZ. If that makes sense lol and if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected � ����� ����
But that is exactly what people think "I understand that I can earn £35,000 here but in NZ it will be more. So the costs of groceries, rent, heating etc in NZ will feel like more in comparison to the UK but you can't compare because I'm earning more in NZ. So let's say you earn 35K in the UK which would be just above 67K in NZ, what is the figure to make you believe that you are financially better off in NZ?
One problem is that people won't change their habits, so expect the exact same life in NZ with more money and then suddenly realize that you have to heat more, drive more etc. A flight back home costs more and so on.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But that is exactly what people think "I understand that I can earn £35,000 here but in NZ it will be more. So the costs of groceries, rent, heating etc in NZ will feel like more in comparison to the UK but you can't compare because I'm earning more in NZ. So let's say you earn 35K in the UK which would be just above 67K in NZ, what is the figure to make you believe that you are financially better off in NZ?
One problem is that people won't change their habits, so expect the exact same life in NZ with more money and then suddenly realize that you have to heat more, drive more etc. A flight back home costs more and so on.
Well for me personally it's not about being financially better off, but in the same sentence I wouldn't want to be worse off. For me it would be about a better quality of life, but if I had to change habits or make sacrifices to get that, then that's not a problem
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

What I've come to appreciate is that, over a certain level, I'm not really sure that earning more money makes me any happier. Why live in a lovely country like this and get suckered into spending hours staring at a computer screen or moving post-it notes across a Kanban bored in some office devoid of natural light?

In recent years my focus has been on spending less time at work and more time on the things that make me happy. I would far rather be digging the garden, messing with oily gubbins or answering the siren song of the open road. My current plan is to fully extricate myself early so I can concentrate on living the good life - planting spuds, keeping chooks and making beer.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What I've come to appreciate is that, over a certain level, I'm not really sure that earning more money makes me any happier. Why live in a lovely country like this and get suckered into spending hours staring at a computer screen or moving post-it notes across a Kanban bored in some office devoid of natural light?

In recent years my focus has been on spending less time at work and more time on the things that make me happy. I would far rather be digging the garden, messing with oily gubbins or answering the siren song of the open road. My current plan is to fully extricate myself early so I can concentrate on living the good life - planting spuds, keeping chooks and making beer.
Sounds good! 👍 I hope you can achieve it
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Brits need to take account of healthcare costs in NZ. It's not free or low cost. Prescriptions are cheaper than UK but in UK they're free for the over 60s. If you have an accident they'll look after you, no question, as was the case when my husband had a fall in the home, but visits to a GP will cost from $40+ depending on which health centre you use. I had a cataract operation at no cost, for which I'm very grateful. but I'm sure that was because I'm virtually blind in the other eye and I know that any future eye problems will cost us. We recently paid $100 for an ambulance when my husband passed out as a result of the medication he'd been prescribed. Yes, some health care is free but the uncertainty of whether or not treatment will be free is a concern. In some cases, if you can't afford it , you won't get it. I for one , find it very confusing and anyone trying to weigh up the cost of living comparisons needs to consider health care costs. Health insurance can be expensive. I'm interested to hear of other folks' experiences.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Prescriptions are cheaper here? 🤔 I’m $5 plus $17 repeat fee... compared to the free in the UK. I claim back on insurance so it doesn’t really matter but definitely isn’t cheaper where we are.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 10:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkijane88
Prescriptions are cheaper here? 🤔 I’m $5 plus $17 repeat fee... compared to the free in the UK. I claim back on insurance so it doesn’t really matter but definitely isn’t cheaper where we are.
Depends on your age. The fee for each prescription if you're under 60 is £9 in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkijane88
Nowhere is free and there are too many factors to consider. You would have to look at how your salary is taxed and how often you actually use healthcare services and include all other taxes and expenses over that time. Some people might be shocked that they have to pay $40+ for a first visit to a GP, but it would be more interesting to look at what's taken out of a salary each month in countries where it's apparently free. At the end of the day it all comes from tax and nobody works for free.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Depends on your age. The fee for each prescription if you're under 60 is £9 in the UK.
Wow well that’s a change in 5 years. It was free when I left and I was mid twenties. Unless it’s NHS based cause parents didn’t say anything about prescription costs being implemented
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Nowhere is free and there are too many factors to consider. You would have to look at how your salary is taxed and how often you actually use healthcare services and include all other taxes and expenses over that time. Some people might be shocked that they have to pay $40+ for a first visit to a GP, but it would be more interesting to look at what's taken out of a salary each month in countries where it's apparently free. At the end of the day it all comes from tax and nobody works for free.
Sorry I say free but as in it’s not an out of pocket cost at that time. Out of salary is always easier for budgeting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.