Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Old May 8th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice
Default Re: Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Originally Posted by sirplug
Depends what sort. Are you talking about a portable one or the 'wall installed' type.
well a wallmout Daikin 7kw bnib
Old May 8th 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scalla
Thank you all for the replies - is anything actually cheaper in NZ??!!
Pretty much no... Ive been here a few weeks now and suprised at how much stuff is here.. Depends on if you can suffer the prices and the lack of choice.

Saying that, i was in a store (Harvey Norman) or Hardly normal as someone called it..last weekend and the electrical stuff wasnt far off our prices, although they was on offer.. A friend bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma hdmi tv for about 500gbp. But then it would help if your everyday stuff was cheaper eh..
Old May 8th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did I orderd some shoes! some bigger than a letter and yes they were redirected came quicker than an amazon parcel, original price 67gbp reduced to 27GBP before I left bough one pair reduced to 12GBP the following week was fizzing tried to get sent direct with P & P from company was going to come to 60GBP so sent via redirection in all 12GBP well worth redirection
Old May 9th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

This is a good question.

Clothes (lots, everything except fleeces)

Shoes (lots, they cost the earth here)

Books (bring everthing you like to read - books are one of the biggest rip-offs here)

Cosmetics, make-up and everything you would buy in Superdrug. Bring enough for a year, so it eases you in.

Kitchen goods like cutlery, serving dishes, crockery. You can buy good white crockery here, but like everything else, it costs much, much more here.

FInally, as a luxury, bring a selecton of good UK newspapers as it will be a while before you read anything as good again.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:49 am
Just Joined

keyholekate is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically everything is cheaper in the UK. NZ is expensive. You don't come to NZ for the shopping! I would bring:

Quality towels - a spare set (NZ quality is dreadful - they fray)
Quality bed-linen (the type that doesn't bobble)
M&S knickers to last you till you go home - some packs to keep and open over the time until you will next be able to get to M&S (although you can buy from them on-line)
Bras (these are astronomical)
Books, if you like reading, and plenty of children's books as these are pricey.

Sound negative? I'm not. I love NZ and would not return to the UK for anything. You can get everything here (I haven't found shoes a problem at all, by the way) but you have to pay a high price for quality. Chinese tat in abundance.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MattandJax
long term contraception! get your mirena coils or implanon implants done before you leave. (free in UK, $$$ over here!)

dyson vaccum cleaner

quality furniture

gardening stuff.

make up/beauty products- stock up before you come

Hello, Contraception costs money omg do they want ppl to have children, i'm on the injection do you know the costs? If too much may try and get a years pill prescription before i come out.

As for shipping over hair and makeup products do you know if they will charge me for brining say a box of shampoo and conditioners? Moisturisers etc etc, also food stuff
Old May 9th 2011, 7:02 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I'd highly recommend bringing an electric cold water feed power shower, and wiring/plumbing it in when you get into your own house.
Why? Check this...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-re...-373843128.htm

....and as for contraception, Haze is on a subsidised pill, costs $3 for a six month supply.
Need residency and registration with a surgery to get the subsidy, but we find the prescriptions here to be fine.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; May 9th 2011 at 7:05 am.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:05 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I'd highly recommend bringing an elctric cold water feed power shower, and wiring/plumbing it in when you get into your own house.
Why? Check this...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-re...-373843128.htm
I miss my power shower.......... but not enough to pay $780 for another one
Old May 9th 2011, 7:08 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
well a wallmout Daikin 7kw bnib
Depends what you pay for it. I'd never heard of Daikin, until now. You will have to pay to install it and several firms do an all in price, with a pump. Here's a link for some prices..http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1046
Old May 9th 2011, 12:26 pm
Banned

baileyduval is an unknown quantity at this point

New Zealand is a ,descent place to visit and explore. Though it can be expensive at times but when compared to UK all the prices seem cheaper a lot here rather than in UK.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:21 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely NZ just has to be more expensive than the UK on all commodities due to the market size 65 million set against 4 million customers. Apart from the transport costs per item the demand will be low enough to drive away competion. In a 10 mile radius from my house there must be well in excess of 50 supermarkets for food alone not counting large stores of slightly lesser names.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug
Depends what you pay for it. I'd never heard of Daikin, until now. You will have to pay to install it and several firms do an all in price, with a pump. Here's a link for some prices..http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1046
Daikin i would say are the market leaders in Air con (uk at least), really suprised you havnt heard of them
I will fit it myself as this is my trade assuming this EWRB thingy lets me
Old May 9th 2011, 10:13 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey, it would never have occurred to me to bring things like a heat pump or a power shower!

We bought pretty much all our white goods and furniture. That that we didn't need we sold on Trade Me. We did stockpile cheap clothes for the kids from Asda and Tesco which lasted well.

Other than that the 40 foot container was full with all our other essentials.

I agree books are alarmingly expensive, but I use the library here and also share books with friends a lot.

I don't struggle with shoes TBH?

I think it all depends on how much room you have left over in your container. If you have room then obviously fill it!!!
Old May 10th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Surely NZ just has to be more expensive than the UK on all commodities due to the market size 65 million set against 4 million customers. Apart from the transport costs per item the demand will be low enough to drive away competion. In a 10 mile radius from my house there must be well in excess of 50 supermarkets for food alone not counting large stores of slightly lesser names.
That old chestnut about supply and demand and distances travelled simply doesn't wash, especially when often we're talking about local produce being more expensive than imported.

The amount we're expected to pay has a lot to do with the level of local competition and we don't have much of that in evidence, thus top dollar is what we get charged. I live in a city of over 1 million people for heavens sake, with the demands of any other similar sized city anywhere else in the world, I can count probably 20 plus supermarkets in a 12 km radius from my house, the problem is that they all belong to just two companies.

Mandarins are in season just now and we usually have two choices in the shop: Aussie Mandarins or NZ Mandarins. Who would even know the difference if they didn't have the blasted stickers on? Not even the girls at the supermarket checkouts, you have to watch them!!

Despite the higher Aussie wages and distances travelled, for some reason the NZ ones are deemed more worthy and no doubt thought to be a superior product to anything that Aussie can produce because the NZ mandarins are $1 per kilo more than Aussie ones.

The price of milk saga continues, with weekly calls from various consumer groups wanting investigations into the ever increasing prices. Consumer.co.nz published yet another article today that quotes:

the equivalent of two litres of milk averaged NZ$2.11 in UK supermarkets over the five months to February 2011. Statistics New Zealand’s Food Price Index shows that the cheapest 2-litre bottle here averaged NZ$3.63 ($3.16 ex GST).
I've been getting 2.0 Litres of Budget label (semi-skimmed) from Pak N Save for $3.59

A quick look at Tescos website and without studying too much I find where the big kicker comes, because we simply do not get these marvellous offers: Tesco Semi Skimmed Milk 4 Pints (2.27L) £1.25 or any 3 FOR £3.00 (5.5p / 4.4p /100ml) Of course not missing the less obvious trick, that we're getting a straight 2 litres versus the 2.27 litres you get in the UK.
Old May 10th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I totally agree with the above. Prices are high here because there is no competition. So-called bargains are only when prices are reduced to what they should be. Take cafes, for an example. Coffee is standarised at £3.80 plus, and you cannot readily get anything cheaper. Lunches all seem to have an agreed price of $9.50 per plate. Where do you see consistently low prices? Okay, Pak'Save are cheaper but they also know kow to increase prices.

It's quite a regimented, conformist society here, and not so laid-back as it seems. And, you can bet if it is NZ made it will be much more expensive and perhaps not so great quality. Under those conditions stores like Ikea, Target and cheap supermarkets will never come here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.