Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Old May 6th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Scalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Dear all,

We are trading the dreary Scottish climate for sunny Hawke's Bay in Sept this year, and there feels like a mountain of things to organise!

We've heard NZ goods (e.g. kitchen appliances, white goods, etc) are much more expensive than UK. We expect there will be plenty of space in the shipping containers, as we've been renting here in the UK, so havn't got much stuff anyway - but if you were to ship 5 items from the UK, which are much dearer over there in NZ, which would they be??

Many thanks for the replies.

Scalla
Old May 6th 2011, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 5 money-saving items to bring from UK??

Shoes
Shoes
Shoes
Boots
and more shoes

We're talking starting price of $150 here for a pair of very 'ordinary' leather shoes.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Washing Machine
Tumble Dryer
Clothes/Shoes
Books
Furniture

All of these are more expensive in NZ. The quality of clothes & furniture is not great. Choice is limited. I would love to have the money to go back & shop for everything I wanted & then ship it over

Sorry went off into my dream world then
Old May 7th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

books, books, electrical gadgets (if you are into them) and set up apostal redirection this helps as you can order goods in Uk and get it redirected instead of paying hefty postal prices.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scalla
Dear all,

We are trading the dreary Scottish climate for sunny Hawke's Bay in Sept this year, and there feels like a mountain of things to organise!

We've heard NZ goods (e.g. kitchen appliances, white goods, etc) are much more expensive than UK. We expect there will be plenty of space in the shipping containers, as we've been renting here in the UK, so havn't got much stuff anyway - but if you were to ship 5 items from the UK, which are much dearer over there in NZ, which would they be??

Many thanks for the replies.

Scalla
Hi at the least - for dampness during the winter - a Dehumidifier and nice electric blankets! x
Old May 7th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you ship brand new boxed goods you run into having to pay import duty risks. Shipping used is fine if you are emigrating. I had to pay tax on boxed up IKEA furniture .. I knew this and didn't want to pre-assemble before shipping as it was fragile stuff (I know rare for IKEA).

I have no idea how thoroughly they actually inspect contents of containers but I wasn't taking any risks and so declared my new goods.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by janeyk
books, books, electrical gadgets (if you are into them) and set up apostal redirection this helps as you can order goods in Uk and get it redirected instead of paying hefty postal prices.
Hi Janey,
I like the redirection tip, but thought I'd look on the Royal Mail website to find out more and saw this in the FAQs:
International mail – any item bigger than Letter format, over 25mm thickness, or over 100g or that clearly contains goods, cannot be redirected abroad.
so, have you found that they normally redirect stuff you've ordered anyway, which would be good news?
John.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:38 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Shoes
Shoes
Shoes
Boots
and more shoes

We're talking starting price of $150 here for a pair of very 'ordinary' leather shoes.
Agree, agree and agree. Kids get through the shoes here at an alarming rate. My son (football, scooter and skateboard mad) gets through shoes on a monthly basis. This week he had some new school shoes, for the start of the new school term (5 days so far) and they are through the soles already!
Old May 7th 2011, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Agree, agree and agree. Kids get through the shoes here at an alarming rate. My son (football, scooter and skateboard mad) gets through shoes on a monthly basis. This week he had some new school shoes, for the start of the new school term (5 days so far) and they are through the soles already!
I don't know what it is about shoes & boots here but we've had the same problem with the soles wearing away in no time at all . They haven't been cheap shoes either (Hush Puppies). Still have all the shoes I brought over with me from the UK & they are still going strong. Most of them are over 5 years old.

The only shoes (sandals) that I've bought in NZ that have lasted are my Birkenstocks. I bought these at half price in 2007 & they are fine.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Would a heatpump be a good thing to bring? of what ive read it would seem so
Old May 7th 2011, 9:37 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
Would a heatpump be a good thing to bring? of what ive read it would seem so
Depends what sort. Are you talking about a portable one or the 'wall installed' type.
Old May 8th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

long term contraception! get your mirena coils or implanon implants done before you leave. (free in UK, $$$ over here!)

dyson vaccum cleaner

quality furniture

gardening stuff.

make up/beauty products- stock up before you come
Old May 8th 2011, 6:46 am
Just Joined

louise dunedin is an unknown quantity at this point

Paracetamol, ibuprofen, asprin etc. Cheapo Boots own brand kind of thing. Pricing suggests that the patent hasn't expired here
Old May 8th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Everyone pretty much covered, what you need but you will love Hawkes Bay in the summer, make sure you bring lots of sun tan cream...and fly spray lol
where abouts are you heading for?
Old May 8th 2011, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Scalla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the replies - is anything actually cheaper in NZ??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.