Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it too risky to just turn up and get a job whilst we're there??

Is it too risky to just turn up and get a job whilst we're there??

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it too risky to just turn up and get a job whilst we're there??

Hi

Send an email to sandie k in Wainuiomata. Her husband is a scaffolder here in Wellington. She doesn't come on the forum much but does read her emails.

She'll be able to tell you about scaffolding here in NZ. Just to warn you, it probably won't be desperately positive and last time I spoke they were going to return to the UK soon. As well as it not being on the shortage list anymore, the issues were mainly lower levels of health and safety, lack of job opportunities (lack of tall buildings etc!), poor pay in comparison to UK etc.

I haven't spoken to her for a while so I hope things may have improved for them.

Good luck and find out as much info as possible before you get here.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Along the same lines:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...aving-daughter
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Suesherr
Thanks for this...really useful.

Since posting my first message it would appear that we are in a better position than I originally thought. Our immigration expert has advised that my CIPS qualification (in conjunction with some other factors) should get us enough points for Permanent Residency without the need to find jobs before we arrive...fingers crossed.
Hi! We have been reading the various threads on here and this one gives us some hope! My wife is a CIPS qualified Purchasing Professional and we are hoping to qualify for PR on the back of this. Could you tell us who your immigration expert is please?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You may find useful info from http://www.cips.org/australasia
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissMarple
Hi! We have been reading the various threads on here and this one gives us some hope! My wife is a CIPS qualified Purchasing Professional and we are hoping to qualify for PR on the back of this. Could you tell us who your immigration expert is please?
Good luck as you start on your adventure You don't need to use an 'expert' IMHO, you've got lots of friendly people on this website who are always happy to help. What do you do, job-wise?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Good luck as you start on your adventure You don't need to use an 'expert' IMHO, you've got lots of friendly people on this website who are always happy to help. What do you do, job-wise?
Hi and thanks for the welcome! I'm a CIPS qualified Procurement Manager (several years in manufacturing and now in Housing), and my OH is in Care/Support for special needs young adults. We've spent some time trawling around the internet today understanding the process for going after PR. Only question pending at the mo is does our daughter have to make her own seperate stand alone application as she is 20 years old and in employment. Sure there will be plenty more ????? along the way!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissMarple
Hi and thanks for the welcome! I'm a CIPS qualified Procurement Manager (several years in manufacturing and now in Housing), and my OH is in Care/Support for special needs young adults. We've spent some time trawling around the internet today understanding the process for going after PR. Only question pending at the mo is does our daughter have to make her own seperate stand alone application as she is 20 years old and in employment. Sure there will be plenty more ????? along the way!
Your daughter will have to make her own application as she is in paid employment and therefore is not classed as a dependant child. HTH.