Tsunami Warning

Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Tsunami Warning

As I write this, the dreadful effects of the earth quake to hit Chile are just emerging- but I have a more localized, personal reason for posting this thread.

It says on BBC world etc that a tsunami warning has been issued for Australia and NZ. However, I can find no more detail than that- including on the NZ Herald website.

As I live on the Kapiti coast I wondered if anyone knew of any web sites that I could check about this sort of thing?

Hope I'm here tomorrow to read any answers!

Unavoidably Callously yours

Z
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsunami Warning

Originally Posted by zoglet
As I write this, the dreadful effects of the earth quake to hit Chile are just emerging- but I have a more localized, personal reason for posting this thread.

It says on BBC world etc that a tsunami warning has been issued for Australia and NZ. However, I can find no more detail than that- including on the NZ Herald website.

As I live on the Kapiti coast I wondered if anyone knew of any web sites that I could check about this sort of thing?

Z
I would have thought there would be something on here but....
http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/

You should be OK on the west coast anyway

Last edited by mickey_d; Feb 27th 2010 at 11:40 am.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
I would have thought there would be something on here but....
http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/
Amazing there is no up-to-date info on the net or TV.
You should be OK on the west coast anyway
More info here
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13190882.htm

& here
http://www.civildefence.govt.nz/memwebsite.nsf
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/

New Zealand under "official" Tsunami Watch - waves to "3 metres" may affect land

The first wave to arrive in New Zealand will be in the areas around Chatham Islands (Waitangi) at approximately 0705 NZDT, Sunday 28 February 2010. The first wave may arrive later and may not be the largest. Strong currents and unusual tidal effects may continue for several hours.

WeatherWatch.co.nz believes that New Zealand won't be "devastated" by the waves but do say that all eastern beaches from the Far North to Dunedin will be at risk from sunrise on Sunday until 'sometime' in the afternoon.

Please stay safe and don't take risks!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Or read this

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3384...ve-Chile-quake
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

As usual...we are being left to our own devices.... It is absolutely abysmal that the NZ authorities are yet again on the back foot and giving no idea of what we should be doing, no warning sirens or advice. The last I saw on TV One a few minutes ago is that they are 'monitoring the waves' and that they are expected to grow in strength. Very helpful.......
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
As usual...we are being left to our own devices.... It is absolutely abysmal that the NZ authorities are yet again on the back foot and giving no idea of what we should be doing, no warning sirens or advice. The last I saw on TV One a few minutes ago is that they are 'monitoring the waves' and that they are expected to grow in strength. Very helpful.......
In their (partial) defence, it is very hard to know as the waves cross the Paific exactly how large they will be and whether the bigger ones will be first or not.
Having spent all night talking to Australia's Met Bureau, and monitoring every website we could lay our hands on, we still can't accurately say what effect there will be on the east coast of Aus - a lot of it is guesswork based on the height of the waves on various buoys in the ocean. We will probably benefit from seeing the heights in New Zealand, which are the first real reports we've had in hours, it should give our guys more to work on.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet

Z
As someone else said the area you are in is most, most unlikely to get any tsunami...99% of them are on the pacific coast.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Sat watching waiting for it to hit Otago, the first wave at Chatham was 30cm, the second one was 1.5m...................

On one news thet said they expedted it to reach DUnedin by 9.00am, that was the 9.30 news bulletin............ garbage
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:05 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

I have just got back from the beach in Mount Maunganui
and i have seen bigger waves in the bath
lets hope it stays that way
best wishes to all the people in Chile
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'd be happier back in the UK being told what to do all the time. Im sure you were born with initiative. Even my kids know to avoid the beaches at this time.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Sounds like you'd be happier back in the UK being told what to do all the time. Im sure you were born with initiative. Even my kids know to avoid the beaches at this time.
I knew there'd be one... Actually I was referring to the people who are not able to link in to the internet or may not be somewhere where there is a tv set. How are they supposed to know that there is a warning in place.? There have been no sirens or announcements in the streets. I quite agree that we must use initiative, but if you are unaware that there is a tsunami warning in place then that might be a little difficult. Have a nice day ;-)
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I knew there'd be one... Actually I was referring to the people who are not able to link in to the internet or may not be somewhere where there is a tv set. How are they supposed to know that there is a warning in place.? There have been no sirens or announcements in the streets. I quite agree that we must use initiative, but if you are unaware that there is a tsunami warning in place then that might be a little difficult. Have a nice day ;-)
This is where caring for others and looking out for one another comes into place. Check that neighbours are aware and especially any elderly people in your area. Its gonna be a beaut day. No surfing tho.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

National radio has been running a constant commentary all morning
With good advice and up to the minute info
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
National radio has been running a constant commentary all morning
With good advice and up to the minute info

Which radio station?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.