THINKING OF MOVING TO QUEENSTOWN

THINKING OF MOVING TO QUEENSTOWN

Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
lbw
Just Joined

lbw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default THINKING OF MOVING TO QUEENSTOWN

Hi

We currently live in Perth, Australia, emmigrated here 6 yrs ago from the UK.

We are thinking of moving to Queenstown for maybe 1 - 2 yrs. I was just wondering if anyone has made the move, how they felt about it, adjusting to another new life?

We have a 10yr old & 5 yr old.

We have visited Q.town many times in the winter and the summer and just really love the place and everything about it.

But i know from moving to Perth, how very different things can be once your actually living there and trying to meet new people, start a new life.

Love to hear your thoughts,, suggestions, schools etc etc

Thanks
Lucyx
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THINKING OF MOVING TO QUEENSTOWN

Originally Posted by lbw
Hi

We currently live in Perth, Australia, emmigrated here 6 yrs ago from the UK.

We are thinking of moving to Queenstown for maybe 1 - 2 yrs. I was just wondering if anyone has made the move, how they felt about it, adjusting to another new life?

We have a 10yr old & 5 yr old.

We have visited Q.town many times in the winter and the summer and just really love the place and everything about it.

But i know from moving to Perth, how very different things can be once your actually living there and trying to meet new people, start a new life.

Love to hear your thoughts,, suggestions, schools etc etc

Thanks
Lucyx

Hi Lucy

Does you or your OH have a job to go to in Queenstown? Work is quite limited in that region, unless you are emplloyed in the hospitality /tourism industry, and even then numbers are allegedly way down on previous years.

I've visited Queenstown before and can definitely see the attraction of the area. All I would say is do your homework on everything from house prices to rent or buy, rates and water, school fees and even your weekly shop, which is likely to be higher than just about anywhere else in NZ

Here's some sites to get you started
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...22=0&49=0&49=0

http://www.qldc.govt.nz/

http://www.scene.co.nz/

http://www.ero.govt.nz/ero/publishin...tent/Home+Page

HTH
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:49 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about the same thing but further north ie Wanaka (1 hour) from Queenstown.

Not needing employment but would need social outlet and schooling
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's beautiful but kind of isolated. If you have jobs that's good. Accomodation can be expensive during tourist season and there is only one supermarket, so cost of living can be higher than average.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:12 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
It's beautiful but kind of isolated. If you have jobs that's good. Accomodation can be expensive during tourist season and there is only one supermarket, so cost of living can be higher than average.
Actually there at least 3 supermarkets that I can think of, but the point is well made that its an expensive place to live. Most who move there or Wanaka are relatively loaded before they go, or are doing it for a short period. Its a fun place, but can be considered a bit soulless, with a mixture of tourists, itinerant workers, absentee holiday home owners and well heeled retirees. Plenty of global players too who live there and work online!