Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of England: A confession

Thinking of England: A confession

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of England: A confession

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I think you say it all in your last sentence ref the travel. We have really been giving the UK a good look before making a decision and have found some nice to live places. Dorset, North Wales, Durham, Scotland all extremely relaxing and ideal places to settle....until you want to travel and then you have to migrate out into the real UK and wait your turn, Somehow you have to negotiate the mass areas around Manchester, Birmingham and of course London where travel literally becomes a total nightmare. Listen to the National travel problems on the radio and they become longer and longer by the day. Britain is not a dump so it would be nice to get people to stop treating it so.
The weather is crap though
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:13 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
The weather is crap though
Well to be honest it's not that good......
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:21 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Haha yes u r less likely to crash as u can see for miles. Unfortunately my giant dogs love the ditches, to my horror!! haha
Isn't that good eel country? I can remember seeing a giant Coypu when I was fishing over that way years ago was still shaking when I finally stopped running.... Must be the emptiest area in England but good for fresh veg..
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't that good eel country? I can remember seeing a giant Coypu when I was fishing over that way years ago was still shaking when I finally stopped running.... Must be the emptiest area in England but good for fresh veg..

Still get the best fish and chips in the UK here! No inflated London prices for a tiny piece of fish. Great if u like fishing, but hubby prefered the water being so clear in NZ. We love being rural and yes great for fresh veg and no crowds like kent, where i originate from!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:55 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Not exactly motorcycling country... flat and straight and bloody big ditches..
Like anything - depends what you want. For me, having Silverstone / Donnington / Cadwell within easy striking distance for WSB / MotoGP / BSB / Trackdays is incomparable to anywhere in the world. Also, the thing I miss most about motorcycling in UK is the proliferation of massive roundabouts with beautiful tarmac. Whilst living in Essex they built a huge number of them near Chelmsford for a new trunkroad - Sunday mornings were just a blast - where I learned to get my knee down. And now I am missing that bike - VFR400 with Maxton shock and Maxton re-worked forks. Sublime handling.

Last edited by sheene; Nov 3rd 2011 at 10:14 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Charismatic

But New Zealanders are earning more than ever before thanks to National thanks to John Key right? Why else would we tolerate his smug smile.
Because the equivalent wage graphs look much worse almost everywhere else (including the UK, where the figures went negative at one stage)?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

sparky66789 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Are you the fella who drives the trucks?

Any luck with finding work as yet?

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Can,t agree with you more about the job market if i hear "Kiwi experience" one more time i,m gonna stab the "Kiwi" wanker

Neil
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Another little step closer to Heathrow . This week's lesson has been not to trust employment agencies one little bit, they will string candidates along something shocking given the chance.

I should have known that from my days in the UK when they used to plague us at work with calls "do you have any upcoming vacancies?" "would you be able to put me through to a colleague who might be hiring?" etc etc.

Maybe I'll pass a few weeks in Vietnam or India on the way back to SW7
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
And rural Cheshire, and Lincolnshire, and Devon, and the Dales and Cumbria etc etc. I jut don't get this crowded thing - it depends on where you are and what you want -surely?
Yeah, totally agree, there's still plenty of places in UK that ain't overcrowded.

A significant chunk of NZ's popn is in 3 big cities, and overwhelming in one of them.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DC10
Another little step closer to Heathrow . Maybe I'll pass a few weeks in Vietnam or India on the way back to SW7
So. What's not going down or going your way IYVHO , coz you were all set for a return down under
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Good question. I think a combination of impatience, poor timing, staying in the last job too long, having more generalist skills & experience rather than something employers here can fit into a neat box, them being unwillling to see transferable skills (or me being unable to get them across) and/or operating "closed shops"

Not defeated quite yet, and have only been looking actively in Aus for a couple of weeks, but Christmas is coming as they say

Perhaps "unrequited love" is how I will end up look at my attempted homecoming. At least I know the Old Girl will have me back

Last edited by DC10; Nov 25th 2011 at 6:56 am.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Good question. I think a combination of impatience, poor timing, staying in the last job too long, having more generalist skills & experience rather than something employers here can fit into a neat box, them being unwillling to see transferable skills (or me being unable to get them across) and/or operating "closed shops"
Maybe you're doing something wrong DC

Originally Posted by sheene
Australia is a world apart from NZ in the way it appreciates the skills you can bring. We are treated with respect and dignity here, something which was sorely lacking in NZ and was one of the main reasons for leaving.

You had better wise up NZ - you need people from the UK far more than they need you.
Good luck on the job hunt DC10, I'm not mocking you just having a dig at sheene
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

What's your line of work DC? Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I was insurance manager for a large UK organisation until September. So it's a slightly unusual background to come from. Many of my counterparts (whom I came to know well) were in their respective roles for decades

It does feel slightly more promising here in Aus - I get the impression that agents and employers will at least consider me here - but it was a hopeless 2 months in NZ (although the first of those I was mostly there for the rugby).

My impatience is partly because at the back of my mind I know that I can probably slot back into a job with my UK employer fairly quickly
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through something similiar. Job market is a bit flat here in NZ. It was miserable and cold in the U.K. but the pubs were good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.