Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating to NZ - Nurse

Thinking of emigrating to NZ - Nurse

Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Loz742 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thinking of emigrating to NZ - Nurse

Hi, my husband, myself and 20 year old son are thinking of emigrating to NZ. We are in the early stages and would appreciate any advice re work ( Im a nurse and my husband is a mechanical engineer). Our son is in his second year of an electrical engineering apprenticeship.
We would like any advice about jobs and general settling in and what prospects would be available for our son, especially mixing with others to make the transition easier for him.
Thanks Lorraine & Mike
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating to NZ

Welcome to NZ little forum. first you would need to see if you have enough points to gain you access to a visa which would allow you to work and live here.
I would say from reading other peoples threads that it may be best to put yourself down Lorraine as the main applicant as nurses I believe are still on the list. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Lot's of nurses on here and some mechanical engineers so should be lots of help coming your way.

as for your son, not sure we left our 20yr old in the UK

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 8th 2012 at 7:38 pm. Reason: added link to points indicator
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Welcome to NZ little forum. first you would need to see if you have enough points to gain you access to a visa which would allow you to work and live here.
I would say from reading other peoples threads that it may be best to put yourself down Lorraine as the main applicant as nurses I believe are still on the list. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Lot's of nurses on here and some mechanical engineers so should be lots of help coming your way.

as for your son, not sure we left our 20yr old in the UK
I would get your son to complete the apprenticeship first as would help to open doors here if he's completely qualified. IMHO
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nurses remain in shortage here in NZ so you would be the main applicant in the application. It may be possible for you to find a job offer whilst still in the UK.
You would need NZ nursing registration but other nurses on here will tell you more about that one.

I dither about your son. On one hand it would be best for him to finish his apprenticeship in the UK. On the other hand , if he is to emigrate with you then he should really be a dependant child as such & that would more likely be proved whilst he was training than when he would be employed properly in his trade.

You may need to investigate further as to whether or not he could continue an apprenticeship here. His past training would be taken into consideration.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating to NZ - Nurse

Hello i'm also a nurse and to get registration you firstly need to sit the IETLS test, (if you tap IETLS in google it will come up with the web page).

Once you have completed this which you need to get a Band 7 in each section on the Academic test you can then apply for registration with the Nursing Council of NZ.

Good luck with the test im about to do my 3rd attempt.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:51 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ielts.org
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also an RN working here & moved over with our 19yr old son. We were lucky as he was on a gap year from college, so he was accepted as a dependant. Even though he was working
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:25 am
Confused but Alive

tattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud oftattoobarbie has much to be proud of

Hello there. We have just moved (second week).
My flatmate is a nurse (North Island, Just moved down) I told her about the Nursed in the UK and she sounded impressed but there sounds like alot odf differences.
My other half is doing the rebuild(Christchurch) and he is a senior site engineer and he is struggling with the different ways that they do things.
I am 23 and to be honest I am struggling to fit in/find friends etc. I think if he got a job quickly enough or joined the gym/swimming club/shooting club etc he should be ok. Just what I have seen in the short time being here but I could be wrong about everything!