Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking about taking the plunge...

Thinking about taking the plunge...

Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:04 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about taking the plunge...

Originally Posted by alan83
just a quick update, I have an interview with canstaff in liverpool at the end of the month. finger's crossed all goes well
Nice one Alan, hope it goes well
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Stevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the roughStevo83 is a jewel in the rough

hi alan83

I have to say that I am suprised by some of the negative comments that appear on these forums - though i understand some people may have had bad experiences.

My wife and I decided we would try to live/move abroad in 2011 and despite initially having Australia in mind, NZ soon became more appealing due to a number of factors - no deadly snakes/spiders, easier to obtain a visa etc.

I am a building services engineer, degree qualified etc and their seemed to be a fair few jobs kicking about on seek.co.nz. After speaking to a few agents i got a little frustrated as they were keen to speak to me but never actually offered anything concrete. I found a job advertised directly by the employer and sent my CV - i had a skype interview and was offered the job in Christchurch. We weren't really thinking about Christchurch as an option, we expected to find work in Auckland. But we took the plunge and arrived in Christchurch with an open mind.

After a year in Christchurch, living for 6 months in Diamond Harbour (beautiful but a bit of a trek into the city) and then Merivale (very nice up market suburb close to Hagley Park) we LOVED it.

The rebuild has certainly opened up opportunities for tradesman but it may be difficult still to find work because of the number of tradesman trying to make the most of the rebuild situation like you. As a consultant design engineer, I have good 5-10 year forecast of work which is far and beyond anything in the UK at the moment.

We love NZ, its easy going, work to life balance is restored, nature is on your doorstep, lots of free events and family activities, skiing, surfing, biking, trekking, watersports you name it.

There are of course the downsides - property prices are a bit silly and the quality of homes arent always that great, but thats not to say quality houses arent out there - they just cost a premium. The earthquakes you get used to, most are very minor that last only a few seconds.

Hope that helps shed some positive light on your potential move, if like me you find the UK depressing (politics, weather, utility companies, etc) then NZ will be a breath of fresh air.

Steve
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stevo83
hi alan83

I have to say that I am suprised by some of the negative comments that appear on these forums - though i understand some people may have had bad experiences.

My wife and I decided we would try to live/move abroad in 2011 and despite initially having Australia in mind, NZ soon became more appealing due to a number of factors - no deadly snakes/spiders, easier to obtain a visa etc.

I am a building services engineer, degree qualified etc and their seemed to be a fair few jobs kicking about on seek.co.nz. After speaking to a few agents i got a little frustrated as they were keen to speak to me but never actually offered anything concrete. I found a job advertised directly by the employer and sent my CV - i had a skype interview and was offered the job in Christchurch. We weren't really thinking about Christchurch as an option, we expected to find work in Auckland. But we took the plunge and arrived in Christchurch with an open mind.

After a year in Christchurch, living for 6 months in Diamond Harbour (beautiful but a bit of a trek into the city) and then Merivale (very nice up market suburb close to Hagley Park) we LOVED it.

The rebuild has certainly opened up opportunities for tradesman but it may be difficult still to find work because of the number of tradesman trying to make the most of the rebuild situation like you. As a consultant design engineer, I have good 5-10 year forecast of work which is far and beyond anything in the UK at the moment.

We love NZ, its easy going, work to life balance is restored, nature is on your doorstep, lots of free events and family activities, skiing, surfing, biking, trekking, watersports you name it.

There are of course the downsides - property prices are a bit silly and the quality of homes arent always that great, but thats not to say quality houses arent out there - they just cost a premium. The earthquakes you get used to, most are very minor that last only a few seconds.

Hope that helps shed some positive light on your potential move, if like me you find the UK depressing (politics, weather, utility companies, etc) then NZ will be a breath of fresh air.

Steve
Hi steve

thanks for the insight, it's put of my worries to ease. I know alot of people have gone over with families and moving everything but the kitchen sink which im not quite in the same boat i'l be arriving on my own as a single guy with a job offer on the table (hopefully, interview pending).

anything away from the UK would be a bonus as im currently doing 12 hour shift's in a factory and the work life balance is no existant.

flat/house share, double room etc is what i'l be looking for while i get myself settle and adjust and then as the month's roll on i'l see what happen's.

The whole thing is still very much sureal and a little daunting at the moment but i'm determind to make it work.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't rely on Canstaff.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by graham from yorkshire
Don't rely on Canstaff.
care to elaborate??
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Know a few people who have dealt with them, and said they mess you around and pay peanuts.
I've just come back from Christchurch, as could not survive on the wages over there compared to the cost of living.
Staying in a shabby shared house over there with other contractors from UK, and most of them were heading back to the UK due to not high wage and high cost of living
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Canstaff are yet to deliver I believe.

Going on from that, most of the trade occupations are NOT in shortage here in New Zealand - Sparkies excepted at the moment.

The Canterbury shortage list is an aid for Canterbury employers to fill their needs as and when. It makes the paperwork easier for them.

An occupation can be removed from a shortage list and if that happens temporary work visas would not be renewed.

What any tradie needs to ensure is that they have long term job prospects to enable them to remain in NZ , if that is their aim and intention.

This is a cautionary note & not intended as a deterrent. Just make sure of the job offer contract & familiarise yourself with the visa options..
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Know a few people who have dealt with them, and said they mess you around and pay peanuts.
I've just come back from Christchurch, as could not survive on the wages over there compared to the cost of living.
Staying in a shabby shared house over there with other contractors from UK, and most of them were heading back to the UK due to not high wage and high cost of living
Like this???

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...d-union-claims

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...ey-for-rebuild

I am completely not surprised that EQR have been listed! Allegedly they're paying Filipino workers a lot less than the minimum amount companies should be paying for migrant workers to come over
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the info, I'l shall be asking plenty of question's at the interview and will weigh up the pro's and con's
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:33 pm
`

ok thanks, so basically it's just about getting the right job offer and everything it does or doesn't come with...
Yes. Absolutely. Ensure you get the 'going rate' and look for a company that can offer you long term permanent employment if you are looking to stay permanently.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:41 am
`

To be clear for others looking in.

I believe that G from Y was/is looking to Canada but came out to New Zealand with a 3 year temp work visa ( which is a bit unusual ) to work as a glazier. He was on a 3 month probation period from his posts .

He arrived 11th October but had left and was back in the UK by 4th December. Total of 7 to 8 weeks.

He had come out in advance of his partner and children.

From his posts his job may have been at $25 an hour. To me that is not an unusual rate for a tradie just arrived. There again I'm up in Nelson which has sunshine $$.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 9th 2014 at 8:30 pm. Reason: spilling .
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
To be clear for others looking in.

I believe that G from Y was/is looking to Canada but came out to New Zealand with a 3 year temp work visa ( which is a bit unusual ) to work as a glazier. He was on a 3 month probation period from his posts .

He arrived 11th October but had left and was back in the UK by 4th December. Total of 7 to 8 weeks.

From his posts his job may have been at $25 an hour. To me that is not an unusual rate for a tradie just arrived. There again I'm up in Nelson which has sunshine $$.
Yes tahrs right. 3 year visa as a glazier. $25 per hr, but they take €2 per hr for holiday pay which I was not told intill I arrived.
New Zealand is amazing, but if the wages are low, then it's not going to work out.
Trying to find a rental is another problem, unless you want to live in a undesirable area.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes tahrs right. 3 year visa as a glazier. $25 per hr, but they take €2 per hr for holiday pay which I was not told intill I arrived.
New Zealand is amazing, but if the wages are low, then it's not going to work out.
Trying to find a rental is another problem, unless you want to live in a undesirable area.
you make it sound like they make you live in slums and 3 quid an hour, I'm not after a 6 bedroom house with sea view and all the trimming's, not even after a house...a shared accom/flat/room etc would do me, and 25 nzd an hour is alot more than the equivalent 7.23 an hour im on now off the tool's as UK construction industry hasn't existed for going on it's 6 year.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

you make it sound like they make you live in slums and 3 quid an hour, I'm not after a 6 bedroom house with sea view and all the trimming's, not even after a house...a shared accom/flat/room etc would do me, and 25 nzd an hour is alot more than the equivalent 7.23 an hour im on now off the tool's as UK construction industry hasn't existed for going on it's 6 year.
Well I've been and seen, and have family who live there.
There are some right shitty areas.
Plenty of rooms to let, but you need to be close to city to get to work unless you get a car.
If you end up going, the best bet is to get a room sorted for when you land.
Trade me have loads of rooms. $150 per week upwards.
I can still go back, but looking at the north island.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Well I've been and seen, and have family who live there.
There are some right shitty areas.
Plenty of rooms to let, but you need to be close to city to get to work unless you get a car.
If you end up going, the best bet is to get a room sorted for when you land.
Trade me have loads of rooms. $150 per week upwards.
I can still go back, but looking at the north island.
It's what's on my list on thing's to do, I've been looking into the city suburb's and it's something i'm going to bring up at my interview but until I know what area I'l be likely to be working in it's pointless deciding right now.

end of the day I'm a single guy with nothing to lose, stuck in a shitty factory job with no prospect's and the opportunity to go somewhere most people today can only dream of, I know I'l have to sacrifice alot of home comfort's and thing's might no be as rosey as they seem but like most on the forum keep saying have an open mind which I will be doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.