Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Thinking about taking the plunge...

Thinking about taking the plunge...

Old Dec 30th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all
Default Thinking about taking the plunge...

Hi all....

been reading some of thread's about expat's out in NZ right now, some scary some exciting....
basically my story is Im a joiner looking to get involved in the rebuild, done alot of research on it applied to a few job's including registering with Canstaff this last week.
Im in the early stages of my EOI/visa app's early stages of the whole "up and go" venture to be honest, but i thought i'd introduce myself on here and start doing a little networking.

any advice, experiences would be apprieciated

thanks
Alan

I'd like to hear from anyone that's over there now working within the trades in christchurch, to cauge what the situations is like and what I'd need to look out for

Last edited by alan83; Dec 30th 2013 at 11:20 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:49 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about taking the plunge...

Hello. The February earthquake happened four days before we were due to relocate to Christchurch from the UK in February 2011. It was to late to pull out. We had sold our house, sent our money to NZ in the form of NZ dollars, quit our jobs, said goodbye to friends and family.

Anyway, after visiting my in-laws in Auckland for 3 weeks we arrived in Christchurch in March. We stayed in self catering accomodation (Rattray Rendezvous, Rattray Street, Riccarton) while looking for somewhere to rent. We found somewhere within a week in Linwood the (battered) east of Christchurch. It was a two bed link detached property for the equivalent of £520 per month. BTW rents in NZ are quoted per week.

Anyone arriving in Christchurch now seems to have difficulty getting somewhere to rent due to lack of availability of places to rent. We were 'lucky' that we were arriving in Christchurch just as people were leaving.

I'm not suprised there have been protests about slow progress of the re-build and other earthquake related matters.

Don't forget the infrastructure took a beating too i.e. sewers and drinking water pipes cracked and full of silt and sand which had to be cleared. For months some households could not flush their toilet or get a shower or do any washing up. There were/are vacant lots around town or yet to be demolished badly damaged buildings. I'm sorry to say this but it looked like a run down inner city, or worse still part of the developing world.

Anyway, the earthquakes are all finished now...............apparently.

My kiwi husband and I could not find permanent work in Christchurch (despite the exhortation to help with the re-build he was still suffering from being interviewed by one-eyed cantabrians).

So when he was offered a job in a city on the North Island we said yes please and left Christchurch on 29 June 2011 having spent all our savings on rent, food, utilities etc.

Being unemployed in post earthquake Christchurch in the winter of 2011 was no fun. That's how 4 or five years planning to emigrate/relocate disappears in about 3 months.

Good luck with your endevours. Come to Christchurch with an open mind. If you have children they will be scared by the earthquakes. It is a very primal fear which is hard enough for an adult to deal with.

You may already have read this thread, but, here it is anyway. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814939

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 30th 2013 at 11:52 pm. Reason: other thread
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:02 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Alan83

My partner and I have been living in Chch now for almost one year. Despite the quakes and some of the problems this conjures up we love it here. Lots of buildings and businesses have gone, but there are still things happening here, plenty to keep you busy and entertained.

I can't give you any advice on working in the trades I'm afraid as we work in different sectors.

As Snap Shot mentioned finding a rental can be a real challege. Be prepared to end up in a rental that might not be up to scratch. My partner and I are living in one at the moment and although it suits us just fine until we purchase a house of our own I would not want to bring kids into it.

Any other specific info I can help with ask away and I'll do my best to answer...
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

thanks for the replies, on reading the more a thread about the Skilled Migrant Visa i'd be in the same boat as the thread creator where as i'd struggle to get work relevant references, so now looking at a Essential's Skill's Visa.
Im a single 30 year old with no ties so buying/renting a house etc isn't really a concern just dig's and "stable"(from what I've read) job would be great.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:44 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan83
thanks for the replies, on reading the more a thread about the Skilled Migrant Visa i'd be in the same boat as the thread creator where as i'd struggle to get work relevant references, so now looking at a Essential's Skill's Visa.
Im a single 30 year old with no ties so buying/renting a house etc isn't really a concern just dig's and "stable"(from what I've read) job would be great.
Have you looked into a Working Holiday Visa? If this suits your situation then I would apply soon as you can't apply once you've turned 31 years old. You are allowed to apply at the age of 30 and enter NZ aged 31, but you cannot apply if you have already turned 31. Obviously this isn't a pemanent work visa and would only see you through a year or two of working in NZ, but it can be a starting point. If you go for a 12 month WHV you can apply online and be granted within a couple of days. The 23 month version requires a medical and police check, which will take longer.

If you have no wife or kids to bring out with you and aren't fussy about where you live or buying a house then you may find Chch suitable for you

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 31st 2013 at 12:45 am. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Have you looked into a Working Holiday Visa? If this suits your situation then I would apply soon as you can't apply once you've turned 31 years old. You are allowed to apply at the age of 30 and enter NZ aged 31, but you cannot apply if you have already turned 31. Obviously this isn't a pemanent work visa and would only see you through a year or two of working in NZ, but it can be a starting point. If you go for a 12 month WHV you can apply online and be granted within a couple of days. The 23 month version requires a medical and police check, which will take longer.

If you have no wife or kids to bring out with you and aren't fussy about where you live or buying a house then you may find Chch suitable for you

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm
I hadn't looked into a WHV but having just done so the requirement of "350nzd per month to cover the cost of living" concern's me
does that mean I need 12x350 plus fund's for return flight in my account to be eligable? assuming it's a 12 month visa.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:03 am
She'll be right

Originally Posted by alan83
I hadn't looked into a WHV but having just done so the requirement of "350nzd per month to cover the cost of living" concern's me
does that mean I need 12x350 plus fund's for return flight in my account to be eligable? assuming it's a 12 month visa.
Yes, that is a requirement. Although when my partner and I came into NZ on a 23 month WHV they didn't even bother checking. We didn't have return flights either and they still didn't check our finances. However, I would still be on the safe side and keep to the rules. Make sure you have the funds in your account. You could ask a family member or a friend to transfer you the money, you then print off a statement and then transfer it back. I know plenty of people with WHV's who have done this not just for NZ...

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 31st 2013 at 3:13 am.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yes, that is a requirement. Although when my partner and I came into NZ on a 23 month WHV they didn't even bother checking. We didn't have return flights either and they still didn't check our finances. However, I would still be on the safe side and keep to the rules. Make sure you have the funds in your account. You could ask a family member or a friend to transfer you the money, you then print off a statement and then transfer it back. I know plenty of people with WHV's who have done this not just for NZ...
thanks for the tip, reading up on the WHV requirement's I would be coming over with the main purpose of work to fund my stay, so i'l have to apply for a temp work visa anyway. my head's a little baffled with all the visa's an Immediate skill's shortage visa would do but that's obtained by the employer (which i don't have yet).
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

An essential skills visa isn't obtained by an employer per se, but you must have a job offer in order to apply for one.

Same goes for a Work to Residence visa. Many people find they need a job offer to gain enough points on the EOI to guarantee selection. It's often not worth submitting an EOI if you have less than 140 pts and no job offer.

You mentioned the need for references and proof of work experience, you may still need to get them depending on your quals. The recent thread on this was because the poster didn't have the accepted qual that INZ use to class someone as being skilled in that job. In that occupation it was possible to substitute a number of years work exp instead of the qual. so they had to get the references.
P
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
An essential skills visa isn't obtained by an employer per se, but you must have a job offer in order to apply for one.

Same goes for a Work to Residence visa. Many people find they need a job offer to gain enough points on the EOI to guarantee selection. It's often not worth submitting an EOI if you have less than 140 pts and no job offer.

You mentioned the need for references and proof of work experience, you may still need to get them depending on your quals. The recent thread on this was because the poster didn't have the accepted qual that INZ use to class someone as being skilled in that job. In that occupation it was possible to substitute a number of years work exp instead of the qual. so they had to get the references.
P
My qual's are equivelant to level 4 on the NZQA with 8 year's worth of work experience.
A temp work visa with a job offer would be better option depending on all other requirement's met wouldn't it?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

A level 4 qualification is the required standard on ANZSCO so you wouldn't have to prove the work experience when it comes to getting a work visa. You are classed as skilled already.

Joiners are on the CSSL so an employer can offer you a job in Chch and you get a visa on the back of it without the employer having to prove anything to NZIS.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
A level 4 qualification is the required standard on ANZSCO so you wouldn't have to prove the work experience when it comes to getting a work visa. You are classed as skilled already.

Joiners are on the CSSL so an employer can offer you a job in Chch and you get a visa on the back of it without the employer having to prove anything to NZIS.
ok thanks, so basically it's just about getting the right job offer and everything it does or doesn't come with...
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

You want to come for the rebuild????

Serious word of advice, only come for a year or two maximum. Don't emigrate permanently

Find out from these recruitment agencies who these companies are that are seeking rebuild workers. Then heavily research into them, check their financial liabilities etc.

A lot of companies heavily backed by the government for example won't be round much longer. Not when Air New Zealand and An energy company who's name I've forgotten fail to bring in the serious income that is urgently required. Foreign investment, despite what Gerry twattree says, isn't coming in. Quite a few road projects for example are on hold, a new town around Wigram is soon to be put on hold, money is running out .

If you do decide you want a permanent visa instead of a temporary visa, then be prepared to job hunt throughout the country. Nelson, Blenheim, Picton, Queenstown and Dunedin etc are available in the South Island. I'd certainly recommend any of those places.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom1983
You want to come for the rebuild????

Serious word of advice, only come for a year or two maximum. Don't emigrate permanently

Find out from these recruitment agencies who these companies are that are seeking rebuild workers. Then heavily research into them, check their financial liabilities etc.

A lot of companies heavily backed by the government for example won't be round much longer. Not when Air New Zealand and An energy company who's name I've forgotten fail to bring in the serious income that is urgently required. Foreign investment, despite what Gerry twattree says, isn't coming in. Quite a few road projects for example are on hold, a new town around Wigram is soon to be put on hold, money is running out .

If you do decide you want a permanent visa instead of a temporary visa, then be prepared to job hunt throughout the country. Nelson, Blenheim, Picton, Queenstown and Dunedin etc are available in the South Island. I'd certainly recommend any of those places.
thanks for the advice
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

just a quick update, I have an interview with canstaff in liverpool at the end of the month. finger's crossed all goes well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.