Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you find yourself now saying (light hearted)

Things you find yourself now saying (light hearted)

Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Things you find yourself now saying (light hearted)

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Slightly off topic...but does anyone have any suggestions for securing things when you can't actually drill into walls. Rental accommodation I am looking at you. My solution right now is that I just don't have heavy things near enough to fall on me but I'd welcome improvements.
Very sensible & a good point.

Let's have a thread about this. I'll make a copy of your post into it.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 29th 2015 at 6:34 am. Reason: add in the link.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
why would you need an emergency box in the UK? unless you are in a high flood plain?
When we first moved into our rural house we often lost either water supply, electricity or the ability to go anywhere due to 3ft of snow that went to 6ft drifts across the roads. We had one memorable New Years where we lost all three together.

These days it's not quite so bad as we have a new water main but we lost electricity for three days just before Christmas. Hence no water bowser filled and ready but we still have the torches etc.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 12:07 pm
`

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
When we first moved into our rural house we often lost either water supply, electricity or the ability to go anywhere due to 3ft of snow that went to 6ft drifts across the roads. We had one memorable New Years where we lost all three together.

These days it's not quite so bad as we have a new water main but we lost electricity for three days just before Christmas. Hence no water bowser filled and ready but we still have the torches etc.
What on earth made you move there then. You must have considered how it might be yet you have nothing good to say about the place. Period.

Rhetorical question BTW.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What on earth made you move there then. You must have considered how it might be yet you have nothing good to say about the place. Period. Rhetorical question BTW.

Why ask a rather curt question that comes across as a bit mean if you don't want to know the answer?

We honestly don't mind needing an emergency kit and having these shortages, it's all part and parcel of living rurally although I'm not denying we're happier now it doesn't happen so often I wasn't moaning, I was merely relating a personal story to build a situational link to ask about the NZ emergency packs. I'm sorry that you see that as something negative, I thought it was quite a common, conversational convention.

In response to your question I do feel a need to justify myself so here's your answer, it's up to you whether you read it or not.

Where we live used to be beautiful and it's allowed us, for 20yrs, to have a lifestyle and home that we could never have dreamed of or afforded elsewhere in the UK. We've lived here four times as long as we've lived anywhere else. We still love our efficient, ecofriendly, solid, warm, spacious, modernised 250yr old lifestyle block and home but new industrial developments around us are giving us the push we need to leave our comfy nest and recognize that it's time to move on if we want a last grand adventure before we become too old to do it any more. Having been pushed to the edge of our comfy nest by developing, external circumstances we've realised we quite like the view so we're flapping our wings and building up the courage and strength to jump.

What we won't miss are the minus 15-20 winters, weeks of snow and constant rain all year round which is something I do moan about, I am British after all!. I've adapted to them and taken them as the downside of all the positives of living where we do but it would be lovely to live somewhere that was, in general, slightly warmer. I'm not looking forward to going back to cold, drafty, leaking and mouldy houses which seems to be the normal for NZ from what I read on here but we've restored five houses before so I'm sure we can do it again.

There's also an element of I'm finding it scary to think of moving so far away from what we know plus starting a brand new career when MrH and I thought we wouldn't be moving homes or jobs again until we retired, hopefully many years down the line. Trying to find and focus on the positives of potential new home and looking at the negatives of old home help with this adjustment process, that's one of my mechanisms for coping and adjusting to large changes. I'm sorry if that's offensive to some people.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to get a slating for this

As I've started visiting Australia regularly for work, I now have picked up on Aussie dialect when being outraged at something

The days of swearing etc are long gone, I've got into the habit of now saying FAR OUT!!!! I suppose it stops the kids from picking up on foul and abusive language.

I should stop going to the AFL games if there's one being played whilst over.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I am now able to kill baby cockroaches with my bare hands . I don't even bat an eyelid about it. The bigger ones still give me the creeps a bit but I never thought I'd get used to the buggers.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I am now able to kill baby cockroaches with my bare hands . I don't even bat an eyelid about it. The bigger ones still give me the creeps a bit but I never thought I'd get used to the buggers.
most of the time they are already leg up - why/how do they do that? if not then I spray them and go back 5mins later.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it's only 90 degrees!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:52 am
`

Originally Posted by fulwood
Oh it's only 90 degrees!
Attachment 122266

Lovely to see you down here Fulwood
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Cewl, cool!

I never ever thought I would say those words - aahhgg!! Middle aged folks other than creepy dudes of the likes of Austin Powers were never meant to say that word. Oh how I cringed at the fifty+ brigade using it in everyday work parlance and now what I have to cringe at myself when I hear it roll of the tongue unexpectedly. *shudders* at the thought!!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh look at that lovely dress in that shop window, I wonder if I can afford it?

It is lovely, so I do a deal with myself - it is nearly or was recently my birthday / Christmas or wedding anniversary so if it costs less than $200 I might just buy it.

I looked at a jumper today that looked 'quite nice' until I looked at the price tag and saw $169 - needless to say it's still in the shop.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'Oooops!!!'

As in getting in amongst it with the slack-ass work ethuc and covering a multitude of sins; such as when you've had an action point against you on the agenda for the past seven meetings and you still haven't got around to it.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:30 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Aye

And sometimes I'll suddenly say something in a kiwi accent. Hate it
Old Aug 15th 2015, 6:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yyjjjeeeezzz

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 16th 2015 at 1:02 am.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

'the'

Never needed it back in Yorkshire.