Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

EQC - Be prepared and quake safe. In your home and out.

EQC - Be prepared and quake safe. In your home and out.

Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you find yourself now saying (light hearted)

Slightly off topic...but does anyone have any suggestions for securing things when you can't actually drill into walls. Rental accommodation I am looking at you. My solution right now is that I just don't have heavy things near enough to fall on me but I'd welcome improvements.

Oh and I now say 'dairy' unironically and 'cellphone' and 'on special' instead of 'on offer'.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: EQC - Be prepared and quake safe. In your home and out.

The above is a copy of a post LauraNotts made about how she could quake safe her rental home without using seismic restraints that call for screws and fixings into walls.

Those of us who own are own homes are able to buy and use the proper seismic restraints but what does one do for heavy furniture if it is a rental.

My first thought is that she talk to her landlord about this as ChCh is now a quake city. Hopefully they will be amenable to the idea that their rental property has been made safe for the tenants.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not hopeful Bevs. It took us threatening to move out for them to install a heatpump.

But excellent topic idea we could talk about how to plan for earthquakes and what to do etc. My first one was only little but I had no idea what it was and froze which wouldn't be helpful if it'd have been bigger.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
I'm not hopeful Bevs. It took us threatening to move out for them to install a heatpump.
Nightmare! We had one of those when we first arrived. Froze our cobs off.

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
But excellent topic idea we could talk about how to plan for earthquakes and what to do etc. My first one was only little but I had no idea what it was and froze which wouldn't be helpful if it'd have been bigger.
I felt the large Christchurch ones here LauraNotts and we are a good 4/5 hours drive away. Our house didn't shake or bolt as such. It just dissolved into a jelly wobbly like motion . As you know , we have pals and contacts down in ChCh that still are silently , quietly suffering, so it is always good to raise the issue & remind ourselves of what we could and should do for ourselves, our families , our friends.

Don't get me wrong. We are not all about worry, worry , worry. Some of it is c'est la vie but it does no harm to make sure you are not crunched in some way. Maybe I think that because I have been crunched in my young life and know that such injuries are forever.

So - what can LauraNotts do to secure any heavy type furniture or appliances in her rental home, if the landlord will not be responsible with this & for that , given it is ChCh I am quite shocked TBH.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:41 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask permission via email and then go ahead and do it regardless. Tribunal will surely back you?
What exactly needs securing?