Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to be grateful for

Things to be grateful for

Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:46 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to be grateful for

This was meant to be a bit of fun about what you don't miss in the uk but clearly yet again people whinge about things. Why don't you just for once look for something good in the place we are living and enjoy and be as happy as we can be after all the worlds ending end of the year

End of replying to this thread I started.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:00 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
This was meant to be a bit of fun about what you don't miss in the uk but clearly yet again people whinge about things. Why don't you just for once look for something good in the place we are living and enjoy and be as happy as we can be after all the worlds ending end of the year

Still pomms at heart........
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Still pomms at heart........
Aint that the truth
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

I live about 2 miles from Brentwood, where they film a fair bit of TOWIE, and the number of TOWIE 'wannabies' strutting up and down the High street makes me smile. I can sit outside Starbucks, and just watch the 'show'. Fake tanned girlies, and guys posing in their finest Armani gear. I've even seen folks that have travelled from miles away, taking pictures of the Sugar Hut. Why? I've eaten there (long before TOWIE), and it's VERY overpriced, and decidedly average IMO.
I hanker for the days when I'd stroll down Victoria Ave in Wangers, and have a coffee outside one of the eateries. Far less pretentious!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:27 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have that ITV show "Take Me Out" made in New Zealand? It would be hilariously cringe worthy, like walking barefoot over broken glass . If you could describe all the things that Kiwi men are terrible at (flirting, charm, dressing well etc.) it would make the perfect candidate for that program.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Made in Chelsea is marginally more watcheable,if only for laughing at the vacuous chinless wonders and overbites. I mean their names for a start !! And part of me is a little bit jealous of the lifestyle. TOWIE on the other hand is past it's sell-by already,MIC has lots of awkward cringeworthy moments that make you scream. The epitomy of todays' TV no less.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

walked back from dropping the kids off at school and my heart was joyful watching the kids run off to climb trees, ride their scooters and play on the flying foxes without anyone saying "you can't be doing that its not safe". Kids can have imaginative play out here and not be bound by bureaucrats making up stupid rules.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
Funnily enough I haven't seen any here either. Do they parade them in public in Essex?

i think they sell them in waitrose
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:58 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rolfie
I hanker for the days when I'd stroll down Victoria Ave in Wangers, and have a coffee outside one of the eateries. Far less pretentious!
Come back to Wangas then Rolfie ! Jolt coffee bar is still here, as well as Cracked Pepper. So is Ceramic cafe. So is Angora restaurant. So is Raffells cafe. Stellar bar on the corner of Taupo Quay and Victoria Ave is good. More drinks at The Grand. Spice Guru for a curry but have not eaten there yet. Hope to eat at Thai Garden at some point too.

You can be barefoot in town but still wear your wellington boots on the beach. Remember those days ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 29th 2012 at 9:11 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Can we have that ITV show "Take Me Out" made in New Zealand? It would be hilariously cringe worthy, like walking barefoot over broken glass . If you could describe all the things that Kiwi men are terrible at (flirting, charm, dressing well etc.) it would make the perfect candidate for that program.
I'd settle for them screening Take Me Out UK version here in NZ. Really miss that show for some reason. No Likey No Lightey. If they can show TOWIE and Gypsy Wedding and Geordie Shore here in NZ (other rubbish UK t.v. is available) why not Take Me Out ? Paddy McGuiness where did you go ? I saw him being interviewed by Graham Norton a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that we used to watch his dating show.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:12 pm

World ending at the end of the year Bev ? We better have another coffee then ! Oh, to late, you're not replying to your own thread anymore.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 9:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This was meant to be a bit of fun about what you don't miss in the uk
just for once look for something good in the place we are living and enjoy and be as happy as we can be after all the worlds ending end of the year
I agree. We've got plenty of threads picking up on NZ or UK problems as we see it.
This has a bit of different twist to it which I quite like TBH.

Let's focus on the gains, not the losses people.

Things to be grateful for....
....here in NZ where I live.

Use of a school swimming pool outside of school hours.

Kicking up leaves or walking a pavement without being ever vigilant for an awaiting pile of dog turd.

Passing a random group of youg'uns ,doing youg'un things & not feeling it might be wise to cross the road.

The upside down night sky.

No blummin' traffic jams.

Those basic cabin huts ,on a camp site ,which are great for an overnighter.

Husbandit is mostly home of an evening by 5 or 6 ish.

The lovely views from our house.

It's a short drive or a walk to vineyards and their cellar doors.

All the assortment of birds in our garden.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
walked back from dropping the kids off at school and my heart was joyful watching the kids run off to climb trees, ride their scooters and play on the flying foxes without anyone saying "you can't be doing that its not safe". Kids can have imaginative play out here and not be bound by bureaucrats making up stupid rules.
Isn't it great and they are allowed to take out sports equipment at play times and most primary schools have climbing frames and jungle gyms. Not at schools I worked at in the UK, against health and safety policy incase they wacked each other over the head with cricket bats or fell off the climbing frame and the parent sued the school.
I love coach trip, better get the cleaning down so I can sit down and watch it.
Oh and I love not working in NZ, I do sometimes feel a bit guilty about that but it passes.
Kaz
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Come back to Wangas then Rolfie ! Jolt coffee bar is still here, as well as Cracked Pepper. So is Ceramic cafe. So is Angora restaurant. So is Raffells cafe. Stellar bar on the corner of Taupo Quay and Victoria Ave is good. More drinks at The Grand. Spice Guru for a curry but have not eaten there yet. Hope to eat at Thai Garden at some point too.

You can be barefoot in town but still wear your wellington boots on the beach. Remember those days ?
I will return one day, I promise!
Do you still get the guy with the mobile ice-cream van in Vic' Ave? Couldn't walk past without having a raspberry cone
Yes, I remember the barefoot in town, and wellies on the beach. I used to live down Duncan street, then moved to castlecliff, and the house backed on to the golf course. I could walk (barefoot) over the golf course, then cross the road at the bottom of my drive, and walk barefoot on the beach. The wellies hardly ever got an outing. That definitely comes under the 'Things to be grateful for' heading. Couldn't dream of having a pad like that over here.
Also miss. . . .
Blue sky, and the noticably brighter, more vibrant colours that the sunlight seems to make in NZ.
Space, scenery, walks along uncrowded beaches, etc etc.
NZ felt like 'home' from almost the moment I first moved there. Living in the UK now makes me feel more like a visitor than a native. Knowing I will return to NZ is what keeps me sane!