Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to do before you leave uk?

Things to do before you leave uk?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Things to do before you leave uk?

Hi Guys,

I know this has probably been done lots of times already, but I can't find the threads.

Does anyone have a list of all the things you need to do before leaving the Uk to jet off to NZ? Like informing bank etc etc?

Any advice appreciated.

Ta

Lou
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things to do before you leave uk?

I'll start the ball rolling, but am interested in case I've forgotten some stuff

open a NZ bank A/c ... transfer some funds into it.
Cancel child benefit,
Cancel tax credits
Review life insurance etc as some won't cover a move abroad
Sell car
cancel car insurance - get a copy of no claims
Cancel utilities - is it worth keeping old bills to NZ?
Get medical and dental notes if anything significant. If not, inform them you are going
Post redirection
Pre-organise birthday cards etc for next few months
Close any surplus bank accounts

Lou
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hi Lou,

Thanks for that,

never thought about life insurance. I really need to get my finger out! Just found this on the wiki. might find it useful.............it relates to Canada but I guess it's the same for NZ........... Lou

Get travel and health insurance (single package) for me/family
Book shipping space
Put house on market
Inform landlord/agent of moving out date
Inform building society re mortgage
Get reference from letting agency
Get reference from building society re mortgage
Check will. Appoint Power of Attorney if required
Resign from job/inform work colleagues
Inform schools and ask for copy of curriculum (esp English and Maths). Take some of your child’s workbooks to Canada to show new school.
Inform bank and organise opening of account in Canada if possible
Check UK bank account is still valid for overseas residence. Before you leave UK get local bank telephone number and contact name so you do not have to go through a call centre once you have moved
Inform Council Tax office and check correct days paid for in the month of leaving/get rebate
Organise stuff for first car-boot sale
Cancel subscriptions to clubs/societies/Readers’ Digest etc
Resign from committees/organisations/clubs etc
Post ‘For Sale’ poster in works canteen/works noticeboard listing stuff for sale with prices
Sell caravan/boat/Wendy house/kennel
Sell car(s)
Get open references from employer(s)
Get open references from friends
Inform electricity company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform water board and make arrangements for account closure
Inform gas company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform telephone company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform internet provider and make arrangements for account closure
Get rebate form from TV Licensing for refund
Inform Sky TV and make arrangements for account closure
Inform mobile phone company and make arrangements for account closure
Arrange forwarding of post to relative with Post Office for 1 year or arrange for overseas redirection
Sign on with currency dealer if required
Organise stuff for second car boot sale
Inform Benefits Agency to get up to date statement of pension
Arrange Class 3 contributions
Inform FAVC pension plans and check validity of plans
Inform life insurance company and check validity of plans
Inform endowment company and check validity of plans
Inform occupational pension provider and check validity of payments
Sell ISAs
Sell PEPs
Sell Tessas
Sell Unit Trusts
Set up e-banking facilities
Renew all credit cards and bank cards for maximum validity dates
Inform Inland Revenue – get form P85
Inform Child Benefit office/Tax credit office
Organise stuff for third car boot sale
Change of address cards and sign on for Hotmail/Yahoo addresses
Get eyes tested
Get teeth checked
Get repeat prescriptions to cover first three months in Canada.
Get dental records and latest x-rays from dentist
Get medical record print-out or summary from surgery
Get copies of Hospital inpatient/outpatient treatment
Get eye-examination record from optician
Get reference letters from every kind of insurance company possible (house insurance, car insurance, etc.) and reference letters from utility companies (electricity, water, etc.). This may enable you to negotiate somewhat more reasonable insurance premiums when you get to Canada and/or enable you to open accounts with utility companies without having to pay hefty deposits.
To make things go more smoothly when you apply for a mortgage in Canada, get a reference letter from your bank and obtain a credit report from Equifax, Experian, or Call Credit (Equifax is the credit bureau that Canadian lenders most readily recognize). Keep in mind that a Canadian lender will want a current credit report (one that has been issued within the last 30 days).
Re-write CV as Canadian style resume
Back up all data files on floppy discs eg Word, Excel etc
See vet about pets
Get International Driving Licence
Organise big IMM 1000 party
Hire skip for rubbish and stuff
Organise getting to airport on departure day
Book hotel/B&B/Hostel/Park Bench in Canada for first night
Download and print customs declaration forms (see Goods To Follow )
Produce file of all required documents in plastic covers
Photocopy birth certificate(s)
Photocopy passport(s)
Photocopy all academic certificates
Photocopy CV and resume(s)
Back up C: drive
Buy spending currency
Buy travelers cheques for first fortnight
Organise house cleaning luncheon party
Cancel car insurance from set date and get refund
Cancel building and house contents insurance and get refund
Send NHS registration card(s) back to the Health Authority
Call utility companies with last minute meter readings
Send off for Drivers record from DVLA
Get NCB letters completed by Vehicle ins companies
TIP – Once moved you very often have to follow-up on things back in the UK (e.g., bank, insurance, utilities, etc.), so get yourself a notebook and write down all your account numbers along with telephone numbers that can be accessed from abroad that are NOT 08** numbers as these are very expensive to call from overseas - Saynoto0870 is good for finding these out.
Sky you need to give 28 days notice but can call about a week before the 28 days and give advance notice.
Buy travel adaptors (laptop and mobile chargers are 220/110 so you only need an adaptor but the phone charges very slowly)
Doctors records take a few days so don't leave for last minute
Type up template letters for utility companies with blank spots for meter readings, get envelopes stamped so you can take meter readings and post on way to airport
Get school records from kids school
If you have a baby stock up on scented nappy sacks as the only place we have found that sells them is Walmart
Get dvd player unlocked if you are taking it (people sell discs/remotes on eBay)
Get mobiles unblocked (I have a Nokia 6680 and the market guys couldn't do it so Vodaphone got me the code for 20 pounds but ask early as it takes up to 28 days and they ended up having to email it to me)
If you plan to get a Pet Passport allow extra time. 1st Microchip, 2nd Rabies Injection, 3rd Blood tests FOUR weeks after injections, 4th Passport issued FOUR weeks later once blood results back
Trip to Costco, to stock up on things the family might miss!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Hi Lou,

Thanks for that,

never thought about life insurance. I really need to get my finger out! Just found this on the wiki. might find it useful.............it relates to Canada but I guess it's the same for NZ........... Lou

Get travel and health insurance (single package) for me/family
Book shipping space
Put house on market
Inform landlord/agent of moving out date
Inform building society re mortgage
Get reference from letting agency
Get reference from building society re mortgage
Check will. Appoint Power of Attorney if required
Resign from job/inform work colleagues
Inform schools and ask for copy of curriculum (esp English and Maths). Take some of your child’s workbooks to Canada to show new school.
Inform bank and organise opening of account in Canada if possible
Check UK bank account is still valid for overseas residence. Before you leave UK get local bank telephone number and contact name so you do not have to go through a call centre once you have moved
Inform Council Tax office and check correct days paid for in the month of leaving/get rebate
Organise stuff for first car-boot sale
Cancel subscriptions to clubs/societies/Readers’ Digest etc
Resign from committees/organisations/clubs etc
Post ‘For Sale’ poster in works canteen/works noticeboard listing stuff for sale with prices
Sell caravan/boat/Wendy house/kennel
Sell car(s)
Get open references from employer(s)
Get open references from friends
Inform electricity company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform water board and make arrangements for account closure
Inform gas company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform telephone company and make arrangements for account closure
Inform internet provider and make arrangements for account closure
Get rebate form from TV Licensing for refund
Inform Sky TV and make arrangements for account closure
Inform mobile phone company and make arrangements for account closure
Arrange forwarding of post to relative with Post Office for 1 year or arrange for overseas redirection
Sign on with currency dealer if required
Organise stuff for second car boot sale
Inform Benefits Agency to get up to date statement of pension
Arrange Class 3 contributions
Inform FAVC pension plans and check validity of plans
Inform life insurance company and check validity of plans
Inform endowment company and check validity of plans
Inform occupational pension provider and check validity of payments
Sell ISAs
Sell PEPs
Sell Tessas
Sell Unit Trusts
Set up e-banking facilities
Renew all credit cards and bank cards for maximum validity dates
Inform Inland Revenue – get form P85
Inform Child Benefit office/Tax credit office
Organise stuff for third car boot sale
Change of address cards and sign on for Hotmail/Yahoo addresses
Get eyes tested
Get teeth checked
Get repeat prescriptions to cover first three months in Canada.
Get dental records and latest x-rays from dentist
Get medical record print-out or summary from surgery
Get copies of Hospital inpatient/outpatient treatment
Get eye-examination record from optician
Get reference letters from every kind of insurance company possible (house insurance, car insurance, etc.) and reference letters from utility companies (electricity, water, etc.). This may enable you to negotiate somewhat more reasonable insurance premiums when you get to Canada and/or enable you to open accounts with utility companies without having to pay hefty deposits.
To make things go more smoothly when you apply for a mortgage in Canada, get a reference letter from your bank and obtain a credit report from Equifax, Experian, or Call Credit (Equifax is the credit bureau that Canadian lenders most readily recognize). Keep in mind that a Canadian lender will want a current credit report (one that has been issued within the last 30 days).
Re-write CV as Canadian style resume
Back up all data files on floppy discs eg Word, Excel etc
See vet about pets
Get International Driving Licence
Organise big IMM 1000 party
Hire skip for rubbish and stuff
Organise getting to airport on departure day
Book hotel/B&B/Hostel/Park Bench in Canada for first night
Download and print customs declaration forms (see Goods To Follow )
Produce file of all required documents in plastic covers
Photocopy birth certificate(s)
Photocopy passport(s)
Photocopy all academic certificates
Photocopy CV and resume(s)
Back up C: drive
Buy spending currency
Buy travelers cheques for first fortnight
Organise house cleaning luncheon party
Cancel car insurance from set date and get refund
Cancel building and house contents insurance and get refund
Send NHS registration card(s) back to the Health Authority
Call utility companies with last minute meter readings
Send off for Drivers record from DVLA
Get NCB letters completed by Vehicle ins companies
TIP – Once moved you very often have to follow-up on things back in the UK (e.g., bank, insurance, utilities, etc.), so get yourself a notebook and write down all your account numbers along with telephone numbers that can be accessed from abroad that are NOT 08** numbers as these are very expensive to call from overseas - Saynoto0870 is good for finding these out.
Sky you need to give 28 days notice but can call about a week before the 28 days and give advance notice.
Buy travel adaptors (laptop and mobile chargers are 220/110 so you only need an adaptor but the phone charges very slowly)
Doctors records take a few days so don't leave for last minute
Type up template letters for utility companies with blank spots for meter readings, get envelopes stamped so you can take meter readings and post on way to airport
Get school records from kids school
If you have a baby stock up on scented nappy sacks as the only place we have found that sells them is Walmart
Get dvd player unlocked if you are taking it (people sell discs/remotes on eBay)
Get mobiles unblocked (I have a Nokia 6680 and the market guys couldn't do it so Vodaphone got me the code for 20 pounds but ask early as it takes up to 28 days and they ended up having to email it to me)
If you plan to get a Pet Passport allow extra time. 1st Microchip, 2nd Rabies Injection, 3rd Blood tests FOUR weeks after injections, 4th Passport issued FOUR weeks later once blood results back
Trip to Costco, to stock up on things the family might miss!
Thanks ... have printed it out, and already marking things off.

Lou
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this,have copied and pasted onto file for later use.

Phyllis
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough

What a fantastic and useful reply *makes note to save it for when 2011 comes around*
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hiya,

well, I sat in my kitchen this morning racking my brain who I needed to contact and things I have to do before we go and tried to make a list, but it is really hard to think of everything. this site is fab isn't it!!!

Is that when you are going to NZ, 2011?? What are your plans then?

lou
xx
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough

We are both still at uni, due to graduate summer of 2010, (both in our mid 20's at the moment) then a year to work to get experience (Ben is doing a Nursing Degree, I am doing Social Care) and time to save some money towards a house so we are looking at moving in 2011.

We also have our wedding to finish organising, and celebrate getting married.

So yeah, that is why 2011.

Lea
xox
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant future

Thanks for finding this list it is sooooo useful!

Couple of things I've got on my list which you may want to add or look into is:

Repatriation insurance - May be a godsend if you needed to come back to the UK in an emergency and didn't have the spare cash to pay for the trip.

Thank you cards/gifts for family or friends who've supported you over the last few months.

Travel treats for the kids for the journey - it's gonna be a long time on that plane!!!!

Happy organising!
Mrs ScottyD
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benandlea
We are both still at uni, due to graduate summer of 2010, (both in our mid 20's at the moment) then a year to work to get experience (Ben is doing a Nursing Degree, I am doing Social Care) and time to save some money towards a house so we are looking at moving in 2011.

We also have our wedding to finish organising, and celebrate getting married.

So yeah, that is why 2011.

Lea
xox
wow! you guys are busy bees then I think it's great that you are doing all your research early!

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.

Lou
xx
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottyD
Thanks for finding this list it is sooooo useful!

Couple of things I've got on my list which you may want to add or look into is:

Repatriation insurance - May be a godsend if you needed to come back to the UK in an emergency and didn't have the spare cash to pay for the trip.

Thank you cards/gifts for family or friends who've supported you over the last few months.

Travel treats for the kids for the journey - it's gonna be a long time on that plane!!!!

Happy organising!
Mrs ScottyD
Thanks for that Mrs ScottyD. Never heard of the repatriation insurance. Will definitely look into that one. Travel treats - what a fab idea. I have bought a few little things like a miniture hungry hippo's and things that can't easily get stuck between seats!!

Lou
xx
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:32 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Don't just advise the tax people, bank people or medical people of your new address. Get confirmation.

I completed my final tax return in the UK (which included the line: if you are no longer living in the UK please provide your overseas address...or some such thing) and couldn't work out why i was having such a nightmare confirming anything. They were still sending the letters etc back to my London address.

If you know that you will be returning to the UK within a year (eg family event etc) buy a return ticket as it is most likely to be a bit cheaper. No i don't know why but i suspect a supply and demand issue. Probably not a good idea though if you are the type to constantly think "well if i dont like it i have a return home..."

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Jul 9th 2008 at 11:35 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

And don't forget to claim back your tax as you wont have lived in the UK for a full financial year.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

Shame you can't get all your tax back when you leave for pastures new eh Frenchy and Lou...... would need securicor me thinks......
Steve and Dee
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:23 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent thread, managed to find a couple of new things to add to the list I had already started to prepare last week. If I wasn't so organised this thread would have saved me quite some time!!!

I have one thing on my list that's not on this one, but then again this won't affect the vast majority of people... it's only relevant if you don't have a British passport. Yep, you guessed it, don't forget to tell the consulate you're leaving!

Also, not sure whether I missed this one but... how about informing the DVLA? Since you have to inform them of any change of address.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.