Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

things for a 9 year old boy to do in nz

things for a 9 year old boy to do in nz

Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of
Default things for a 9 year old boy to do in nz

Hi
i'm Sam and I'm a 9 yr old boy. My Dad is going to move to nz in the next year and is trying to pursuede me to go with him.
I was wondering if there are any wildlife activities for kids as I'm really interested in that sort of thing. Are there any big zoos there?

Sam:curse:
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:53 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: things for a 9 year old boy to do in nz

Hi Sam, you're so lucky to be going to NZ at your age.

Yes there's some great zoos/wildlife parks.....Auckland and Christchurch both have very good ones, they do a lot of animal conservation work and many of the animals are out in the open which is a lot better for than being couped up in small cages. There are also plenty of other parks too.

There are also quite a few wildlife sanctuaries which can range from small patches in urban areas to whole islands such as Tiritiri Matangi www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/ and plenty to get involved with if you want to.

Have a look at the Department of Conservation website www.doc.govt.nz to see what goes on around the country
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Thank you for the message. I'm going to look at the links now.Whot do you think the best zoo is?
SAM
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:09 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,
We live just outside Christchurch and took our kids (11 and 13) to Orana Wildlife Park. Like Nerine said it is a great place and go get to go round and see the animals being fed and some of them you can join in feeding them too! Like the giraffes, that was really cool. And you can go in the cage on the back of the lorry that drives into the lion enclosure when they feed the lions so you're up close to the lions. One even climbs up on top of the cage!
And there's a Kiwi house too where you can see Kiwi birds, and the cheetah run and African wild dogs and rhinos and tigers. There's just heaps there and it is mostly run by volunteers and they're always looking for people just like you who are interested in helping wildlife and conservation to carry on their good work. It's an awesome place to visit.

Also on the beach near us you can sometimes see the little blue penguins unique to, well, here! and sometimes seals. Further along the coast, either north towards Kaikoura and south to Akaroa you can see whales, seals, penguins and dolphins. There are boat trips and swimming trips or if you're dad gets his own boat you can just go right out there and see them for free! (sorry dad!)

NZ is certainly a beautiful country with lots of excellent tramping (walking) places, rivers, coastline etc and natural beuty to explore. Over the west coast you can go and see the glacier!

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jan 26th 2008 at 9:12 am. Reason: Added a bit
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hi Sam,
We live just outside Christchurch and took our kids (11 and 13) to Orana Wildlife Park. Like Nerine said it is a great place and go get to go round and see the animals being fed and some of them you can join in feeding them too! Like the giraffes, that was really cool. And you can go in the cage on the back of the lorry that drives into the lion enclosure when they feed the lions so you're up close to the lions. One even climbs up on top of the cage!
And there's a Kiwi house too where you can see Kiwi birds, and the cheetah run and African wild dogs and rhinos and tigers. There's just heaps there and it is mostly run by volunteers and they're always looking for people just like you who are interested in helping wildlife and conservation to carry on their good work. It's an awesome place to visit.

Also on the beach near us you can sometimes see the little blue penguins unique to, well, here! and sometimes seals. Further along the coast, either north towards Kaikoura and south to Akaroa you can see whales, seals, penguins and dolphins. There are boat trips and swimming trips or if you're dad gets his own boat you can just go right out there and see them for free! (sorry dad!)

NZ is certainly a beautiful country with lots of excellent tramping (walking) places, rivers, coastline etc and natural beuty to explore. Over the west coast you can go and see the glacier!
Hi Sam, took my kids (8 and 10) to Hamilton zoo (again) they love it there. Not an enormous place but loads of room for the animals. Certainly plenty of wildlife in NZ. Have done the swimming with dolphin thing in The Bay of Islands and seen the seals and whales in Kaikoura.And there's Goat Island Marine Reserve too.
You'll kick yourself mate if you miss it. Look on it as an adventure first and house move second.Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hi Sam,

Hi,
Thanks for information, my dad's got a boat in uk (camping in cornwall last year had dolpins swiming next to boat cool) he can't wait to get out there and buy a boat in nz.
SAM
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Hi Sam - as well as all the 'big' animals there are loads of new mini beasts - our garden is literally alive with them!! Our swan plant is being eaten by loads of monach butterfly caterpillars (they are yellow and white stripes with black antennae at each end!!) and they seem to grow bigger by the second!! We have seen stick insects, huhu beetles, wetas and loads of birds that don't live in the UK, like silvereyes and tui's. My boys - who are 9, 7 and 3, love it!! As other people have said, there are loads of conservation/restoration projects that volunteers are needed for so I'm sure you would be able to find something to interest you!!
Good luck, Alison.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjthefridge
Thank you for the message. I'm going to look at the links now.Whot do you think the best zoo is?
SAM
Orana Park, without a doubt. I think that if we'd lived down that way I would've volunteered to help out like a shot - I was so impressed with it.