Reload this Page >

New Zealand Salaries

New Zealand Salaries

Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

ianrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand Salaries

Hi all

I have been offered a job based in Picton at a salary of NZ$75000 which is a lot less than I am currently earning in the UK.

So before I take the plunge and accept could anyone give me an indication of what standard of living this would afford us - just me and my wife.

Thanks Ian
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:56 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Salaries

Originally Posted by ianrob
Hi all

I have been offered a job based in Picton at a salary of NZ$75000 which is a lot less than I am currently earning in the UK.

So before I take the plunge and accept could anyone give me an indication of what standard of living this would afford us - just me and my wife.

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian

Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz for an idea on house prices in the area.

Although your job is in Picton, you would probably be better off living in Blenheim. Picton is lovely to visit 9 going tomorrow!) but not that much there in the way of shopping and limited entertainment.

If your heart is set on living in Picton, then I would actually look 5 minutes round the bay at Waikawa

As for standard of living, there's 5 of us on a similar salary and we manage although I do have to 'budget'

HTH
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to be able to live in Picton, although I think you'd have to be in to boating (as I am) and/or fishing to enjoy it there. I imagine houses are quite reasonably priced. Standard of living will depend on your outgoings; if you're mortgage-free you'll be quite well off; any more than $150k mortgage could be a struggle
Could I ask what you're going to be doing there?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:56 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks Ian
The same as you have in the UK?

If money is important then New Zealand probably shouldn't be your first choice...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:26 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Hi all

Thanks Ian
Will the missus be working
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:28 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Avid
If money is important then New Zealand probably shouldn't be your first choice...
It would be helpful to know if you are going to be living on the bones of your arse though but
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matey
I'd have a shufty through the zillions of other threads on the subject in here and get hold of the linkies that do the budgeting calcs for NZ (in the Wiki or Really Useful thread as I recall) then have a bash at what your expenses are going to be and decide what sort of housing you want - renting/buy outright/mortgaged and that should start you in the direction of estimating how well off you will be. Remember that us forumites have lots of different priorities on spending our dough.
Also bear in mind that the benefits you get from your NZ employer are very likely to be less than you got in Uk, apart from the absence of Company Car/Fuel tax and a better allowance for bereavement leave. Holidays, pension, work-based insurances, etc, etc are likely to be worse in NZ so you might want to factor in private health cover and some life insurance to replace any death-in-service you had in the UK.
Overall my NZ income came in at about 45% of UK, hence I am just about to start my own business......
Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:40 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
It would be helpful to know if you are going to be living on the bones of your arse though but
True, but these types of questions are impossible to answer anyway.

For some people 75 grand would be enough to retire on, for others (ahem) it barely covers the drinks budget.

Two people should easily be able to live on 75 grand in Picton
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:45 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Picton it is then
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
I am just about to start my own business......
That is, as far as I can see, the only realistic way of making any decent money out here.

Any hint as to what type of business?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

That is, as far as I can see, the only realistic way of making any decent money out here.

hey my old friend. How are you? You been let in that 'special' club again??? '
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lexylou
hey my old friend. How are you? You been let in that 'special' club again??? '
Nope.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.
Ha,..... didnt think you would be! Well good to know i am in good company.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

ianrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I'd love to be able to live in Picton, although I think you'd have to be in to boating (as I am) and/or fishing to enjoy it there. I imagine houses are quite reasonably priced. Standard of living will depend on your outgoings; if you're mortgage-free you'll be quite well off; any more than $150k mortgage could be a struggle
Could I ask what you're going to be doing there?
Thanks for all the comments - All going well we will be mortgage free.
The job offer is with an aquaculture company and I am very tempted to take it.

The salary to be honest is not as important to us as I probably made it seem. We are more concerned with getting away from the UK to somewere a bit more relaxed and friendly.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

well, as an employee in NZ I did not make quite as much dough as Ian's offer, whereas in the UK I made about 2.5 times that much.
If I had my own Co. in UK I sould have made about 6-10 times as much as I was as an employee in NZ.
it's a service company, very speciaised and relies on other people's mis-fortune.....

......no I'm not getting into undertaking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.