Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
For all of you who are considering moving over NZ ...

You are living in NZ, a country with a poor present and a bleak future, and it is in your interest to talk it up - the presence of others will make you feel better about your own mistake.

I am trying to stop people making a mistake. You do not care and would rather use them to reassure yourself than help them with the truth because that truth is hard for you to face.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't think he should comment on Australia either as I'm not conviced he even lives here, his comments are too general and he won't state where he's living, which would make it easy to prove him genuine or not.
I have seen personal info used against people here so do not give it away myself on a public internet forum. My advice is based on more years in Oz than just about anyone else on the forum and if some choose to ignore it then that is their right.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
You are living in NZ, a country with a poor present and a bleak future, and it is in your interest to talk it up - the presence of others will make you feel better about your own mistake.

I am trying to stop people making a mistake. You do not care and would rather use them to reassure yourself than help them with the truth because that truth is hard for you to face.
You're missing the point of this forum. I'm trying to share my experiences not tyrying to encourage people to come here.

Confused as to why you think I've made a mistake. I've been fortunate with property investment in the UK and can come to NZ with a few pounds in my pocket that means I can enjoy a good lifestyle here.

Why is this a mistake?
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

You're missing the point of this forum. I'm trying to share my experiences not tyrying to encourage people to come here.

Confused as to why you think I've made a mistake. I've been fortunate with property investment in the UK and can come to NZ with a few pounds in my pocket that means I can enjoy a good lifestyle here.

Why is this a mistake?
I know the point of this forum, and I, too, am sharing my experience. It is different to some others experience but nonetheless true. It is not what people want to hear so I am a "troll". If I started to spout bull about how great Oz and NZ are then I would get "great post", etc. It is no more complex than that. The forum is full of kids who do not like to be told the truth because it spoils the dream. There are even people on the forum making money from the dreams and they are thought of as "helpful". Funny, no?

You have made money from the UK, as have nearly all the people who say how much of a dump it is here, because the UK has a healthy economy and a very strong future. People on the forum are so used to being able to get OK jobs that they no longer value what they have got. They will learn to if they leave it behind. The downside of the UK is that it is densely populated and a harder place to live in, in some ways, than the semi-rural NZ - these factors will necessarily accompany the strong economy because such an economy needs lots of people to make it all work - but at least long term unemployment is unlikely in the UK and there are many good opportunities. NZ, on the other hand, is in decline. It is a desperately low wage economy (average is about NZ$27,000 and many are genuinely earning that and it is a patehtic wage to earn, even in NZ, where the average house in the big cities, where the work is, is about 10 times that) and is going to end up all being based around Auckland where the famous "quality of life" that, in reality, is very like duller cities in the UK, is not there as people imagine it. The reality is that NZ is increasingly equal to Auckland and Auckland is a very undesirable place to live - not at all what people hope for when they talk of NZ. Think Birmingham but made of wood and you have it.

If you wish to get off the rat race, move to a slower part of the UK, rather than to NZ. You will find much the same situation - emptier streets, slower pace, few jobs beyond very basic ones. The crime rates per person are very similar (you will not believe, I bet, that NZ sex offence statistics are reckoned worse than the UK will you, but it is so - why not? Because it is perfect NZ, people say - there is no balance in the thinking, just propaganda). Ok, believe that NZ will improve your life beyond that achieved in the UK, it matters not to me. I just seem to have got caught up in this thread and do not like to ignore questions, digs, etc.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Probably best that you stick to the Ozzie threads in future as your view of NZ and Auckland in particular, are so far off the mark.

I won't ask you another question as it will encourage you to post further on NZ which, unless you live here and have first hand expereince you're not qualified to do.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably best that you stick to the Ozzie threads in future as your view of NZ and Auckland in particular, are so far off the mark.

I won't ask you another question as it will encourage you to post further on NZ which, unless you live here and have first hand expereince you're not qualified to do.
Auckland, which already has over 30% of NZ's population in it, and the majority of the country's crime, is a dull, sprawling suburb of a city with very, very few places of interest by international standards. It is, as I say, a low-level, wooden version of gtr birmingham, or somewhere similar. More and more firms are moving to Auck from the other parts of NZ, as every NZer including many freinds and family of mine knows, and along with them the jobs. I predict that NZ will end up home to about 50% of the population, within 20 years or so, and will offer no more "quality of life" than any other suburban sprawl. The work options outside of Auck will be so limited that that will offer no alternative and so in Auck you will be stuck.

Once word gets out just how ordinary NZ is, you will not find your old friends and family being jealous of you at all, but somewhat sympathetic. NZ's good days were something like 1950 - 1980. You are far, far too late, and have made a mistake that I hope others do not make.

Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

I'm clearly living in different country. The Auckland you describe bears no resemblance to the one I live in. Comparing Auckland to Birmingham is laughable and you're clearly not upto speed with the latest immigration changes which are encouraging people not to come to Auckland.

Enough said on this as neither your nor my comments are helping anyone.

We'll agree to differ. You clearly know more about Auckland than I do.

What do I know - I only live here.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm clearly living in different country. The Auckland you describe bears no resemblance to the one I live in. Comparing Auckland to Birmingham is laughable and you're clearly not upto speed with the latest immigration changes which are encouraging people not to come to Auckland.

Enough said on this as neither your nor my comments are helping anyone.

We'll agree to differ. You clearly know more about Auckland than I do.

What do I know - I only live here.
People will go to Auck, even if they initially arrive elsewhere, to follow the work, in just the same way that people from Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, etc, were forced to go to the SE of England in the 1980s because of local unemployment in their areas. You will not be able to keep people away from your new home just because you want to - sorry, son, that is just the way it is. You have made your poorly-feathered nest in NZ and that is what you are going to have to lie in. The future is bleak for all NZers and you will probably end up in Oz, with all the kiwis who are still young enough to escape.

Of course, to the new off the boat eye such as you may be, there are many superficial differences between somewhere like Birmingham and Auck, but the comparison is valid, and, if you were interested enough to bother, you might reflect on it a bit before dismissing it. You know Birmingham? You have been there?

Tell me which particular suburb of Auck you live in and I will show you how much I do know about the place, because from the sounds of it you are still in holiday mode (been there less than 2 years) and have yet to appreciate what is going on in NZ enough to make a good assessment of its future. I have family who have lived in Auck - Howick and Grey Lynn - for something like 45 years, and so my information is based on those who know, not some starry eyed just off the boat who has yet to see beyond the whitepainted weather boards.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Enough said on this son. I don't want to encourage you further on this thread. Move on to something else as I've got nothing further to contribute on this. Come and live and here and then I'll listen but until then your views are second hand and carry little weight.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Enough said on this son. I don't want to encourage you further on this thread. Move on to something else as I've got nothing further to contribute on this. Come and live and here and then I'll listen but until then your views are second hand and carry little weight.
Do not mind the 'son', son, it is a privilege that comes with age. We have to have some compensation for losing teeth and eyesight you know - well, you will know, anyway.

I am happy for you to stop posting on the topic, but you do not so I figure we are a real double act and you must be getting something out of it?

I would not come and live in Auckland if you bought me a house there and got me a free car. I do not want to upset you more, but Auck is no place to be for a happy future.

As I say, NZ is a bleak place with poor prospects, a small economy, too many unattended social problems, too many unemployed young kids (and those maori and islander boys are scary when angered or on the drug P, which is all the rage in NZ these days), and I aim to last longer than Auck will as an OK place to live. My investments, small as they are, would not be safe in NZ, whose economy is like a cork in an ocean, bobbling up and down on the winds coming out of Oz's backside and George W's pretzel hiccoughs.

Rather you than me mate and I hope no-one makes the same mistakes you have because it would be a real shame to get on top of things and get some money and then let NZ ruin it all for you.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
You are one of the hangers on?

Get your own material and don't hang on others coat tails - it is not a dignified place to be for a grown person.

In going to NZ, you are, indeed, in an exclusive club. You will wonder why so exclusive? No, probably not.
Hanger on am I,not as big a clinker on PB a*$" as you are wilf.
I look at this site for info not for the mindless drivel you spout.
I'm ashamed of myself to even have got involved in the piontless ramblings ,becuase I know it feeds you.Is you life that dull
As for originality your postings are just same old stuff rehashed time after time
I'm willing to listen to any worth while info but you remind me of Arthur Scargill Mr mono opinion
Feeding time over or are you still hungry(actualy this is fun,oh no I,m turning into a Wilfete)
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of
Default Re: is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Originally posted by richard aa
hi anybody out there,we are a familly from the uk who have just got our residence visas through ,before you all go bananas i know we are lucky people i just wish we felt it , are these feelings normal or are we just odd ! we have waited so long for the all clear and now its here we are having major 2nd thoughts ,please is there anyone in the same boat as us if so would be really greatfull for any input you may have , please save our sanity !!!!! also if you are in nz that would be great , good or bad we want to hear it.
Hiya Richard,

get on the damn plane! you've wanted this for years and you cant back out now, you would always wonder 'what if......'
Anyway who could we swop houses with if you dont go?
Look on it as a really long holiday, you've sold your house - cash in your equity, buy a big house & a new paraglider and start enjoying your new life with the family.
See you soon

Fred
Old Jul 25th 2003, 8:23 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm,

This is what I've noticed spouting from the bitter, twisted old git...Wilf's comment in " ".......

"You know nothing about NZ's history, son. Traditionally, NZ has been a land of house owners, not renters, and that, as I was trying to explain, is why the increasing proportion of renters is an indicator of NZ's poor economic present and even poorer economic future"

I think if you'll take a good look at the UK, with property prices spiralling upwards, most first time buyers cannot afford to get on the property ladder, thus are renting, turning the UK into a country with a poor economic present & future by your reckoning Wilf.

"It is increasingly not being taken seriously as a first world country - "developing" would be more appropriate, except it is probably undeveloping - and if that is where you want to put your future then that is not something that anyone can save you from"

A country cannot develop without attracting new skills, workers and industries........british economy has worked in the same fashion for years, or do you know something the economists don't Wilf? Sounds like you want NZ to suffer.......or more likely you want prospective migrants to think it's doomed so they stay away.

"Pro-active people" like SimonC - who is just taking out a loan and charging poor people for rent [and money is made by charging more than they are worth - that is what profit is, son] - is doing NZ and NZers no favours at all."

Forgive me, but isn't all business about charging what the market will allow - if someone wants to pay £100 for something you are selling on ebay for £20, then that's up to them isn't it? Are you guilty of exploitation, or is the buyer guilty of stupidity? At then end of the day, if you price something out of the market, it won't sell. If it's priced correctly, then you'll have buyers beating down the door.........Now how many enquiries did you have Simon C? Seems you know nothing about business........I think your real gripe is that Simon isn't NZ born, if he was you'd have no trouble with him renting out properties fro whatever rent he charged.....

"I am trying to stop people making a mistake. "

Hmmm, Isn't life about learning from mistakes? No? I guess I might try to stick my hand in a fire to see if it hurts then......or did my ancestors already figure that one out?

"I know the point of this forum, and I, too, am sharing my experience. It is different to some others experience but nonetheless true."

Everyone's experience of something differs - for instance, I don't particularly find bungy jumping (tenuous NZ link) exciting.....many others think it's the greatest rush in the world. I'll happily do 170mph round a track on a motorcycle..others would find this horrifying. The point is experiences of the same thing differ from person to person...so you have a different experience of NZ or Oz or Bognor....wherever you really come from....so what, it will not be the same for the majority of others. If we wanted to know your experience of a place, we'd ask. Hmmm - I'll just see if people are queueing to speak to you..........anyone??

"You have made money from the UK, as have nearly all the people who say how much of a dump it is here, because the UK has a healthy economy and a very strong future."

Hmmm, Unless you live in the UK, again your information is second hand. I for one know that the economy is heading for a boom/bust any time now. The housing index is up over 5.0 (higher than in the eighties), and the potential impact of overcrowding is going to force the economy into a slump. Every figure from performance of schools to unemployment to hospital waiting lists is doctored (pun!!) by the spinners. Nothing is as it seems......We are due much higher taxes in the very near future to cope with the stress on the system, thus we'll have less to spend, so the economy suffers etc etc. You understand this obviously as you so well inform us....Those who get out with the cash are the enlightened ones..

"you will not believe, I bet, that NZ sex offence statistics are reckoned worse than the UK will you, but it is so - why not?"

UK Crime figures also spin doctored........so unless you physically live in an area, all you are doing is quoting someone else....

" Auckland is a very undesirable place to live - not at all what people hope for when they talk of NZ. Think Birmingham but made of wood and you have it.
As I say, NZ is a bleak place with poor prospects, a small economy, too many unattended social problems, too many unemployed young kids (and those maori and islander boys are scary when angered or on the drug P,"

Forgive me, but I presumed all countries had similar problems? As you like the comparison.....Birmingham is currently suffering from a spate of drug gang related incidents. The deaths of 2 innocent teenagers over the New Year were thought to be due to their being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The girls were gunned down by machine gun fire outside a local hairdressers..........(much more goes on, but this was high profile...hence the mention). This week in my local town, a 14 year old was arrested and charged with the rape of 4 old age pensioners........ahhh what a wonderful world we live in. Seems to me that socio-economic problems are prevalent wherever you end up.....sorry that's not enough to stop me moving to Wellington....Go on mention the weather and that Wellington is due a big earthquake Wilf..it might scare me and I'll stay away, just like you want.....NOT !!

"I would not come and live in Auckland if you bought me a house there and got me a free car. I do not want to upset you more, but Auck is no place to be for a happy future."

I don't think anyone will be inviting you to Auckland......by your reckoning it has enough problems without some bitter, twisted old man bleating on about "when I were a lad........this place was much nicer"....yup, "when I were a lad, we used to get up 3 hours before we went to bed, we worked 27 hours in't mill, we had to pay the farmer to work there, we lived in a big hole in't middle of the road and ate gravel for our supper, and when Dad came home he used to shoot us and dance on our graves"........but tell that to youngsters today and they won't believe you...

Come on Wilf, I enjoy a bit of banter.......
Old Jul 25th 2003, 10:38 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to say, I can't think of one single reason to go to NZ. Why not just to Australia? It is like NZ but less of the problems and "more features".
Old Jul 25th 2003, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gOD In what way goD ? I have been lving in the ( ? ) godawfull place called Auckland for the last 2 years and ....have no problem with it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.