Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:39 pm
richard aa

Unhappy is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

hi anybody out there,we are a familly from the uk who have just got our residence visas through ,before you all go bananas i know we are lucky people i just wish we felt it , are these feelings normal or are we just odd ! we have waited so long for the all clear and now its here we are having major 2nd thoughts ,please is there anyone in the same boat as us if so would be really greatfull for any input you may have , please save our sanity !!!!! also if you are in nz that would be great , good or bad we want to hear it.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Look upon the experience as an temporary overseas posting.

If you don't like it you can always return.

If you don't go through with it, then you'll always think "what if".

Good luck.

Its an absolutely beautiful moring in Auckland today. Not a cloud in the sky and temperatures pushing 15 degrees. Not bad for the middle of winter
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is an exciting time waiting for the visas. A bit like waiting for a surprise Birthday present. When you get it the feeling is never as good as you expect. Anticipation and waiting to hear makes you want it even more.

When they finally arrive and you are actually given the permission to go you are bound to wonder whether you are doing the right thing. After all what is going to stop you from going now? Only yourself!

I felt similarly once the novelty had worn off of getting our visas to Oz. I decided to think about why I wanted to leave in the first place and how I would feel if I didn't go. I soon decided that however scarey it was, that deep down I knew we had to give it a try.

It is very hard to change your life when things are going well for you over here and the sun is shining. What were your main reasons for wanting to emigrate and do they still exist?

I really hope you come to the right decision. There are some major decisions to make and I for one am petrified of doing some of them- selling my lovely house and handing in my notice- for a start.

Will you regret not going, after all you can always come back. If you don't go would you be able to live happily with that decision?

I wish you all the best, it is a difficult thing to decide.

Tina
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:12 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

we had residency before we decided to come here and did'nt know if we could be bothered with the work involved with moving.Its only now we are here we realised that for us it was a great move.The one thing to bear in mind is like what most people think,if you want you can always go back to the UK.If you don't try it its hard sitting there thinking what if we'd gone?
good luck
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

We cannot advise you on whats best for your family, it's an individual decision, and your whole family needs to make it. Read this site and find the good and the bad side of moving out here. Some people love it, some hate it and cannot wait to get back to Blighty.

If you've got a great lifestyle in the UK stay put, because moving is going to cause you a LOT of finiancial, emotional and job stress. Both Oz and NZ have alot of things in common with the UK, but also a lot of differences.

You've got to take this country as you find it and not try and turn it into a downunder version of the UK. I've lived in both NZ and Oz and love it and don't consider I'll ever return to the UK, but thats me and everyones different, so only you and your family can decide after weighting up all the pros and cons.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

My view of the Major Cons about New Zealand

Far away from friends and family
Financially worse off
Not a great career move
Poor shopping (according to my wife)

The upsides

Much better quality of life
More relaxed way of life
Less stress
Beautiful country
Hardly any people here
Great place to bring up kids

As Kiwipaul says its a very personal thing and depends on your motivation for moving here.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:48 pm
IJS
Just Joined

IJS is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's any consolation then I know you're not the only ones feeling like this. We are getting our passports back soon with the residency visas and what with all of the 'finer' details to sort out, we go through ups and downs (luckily when one is down then the other is up!). Ultimately we know we are going to do it and it will be worth doing it - as the others have said, you can always come back if it doesn't work out. You've got nothing to lose but lots to gain. Our friends in Auckland send us emails about how they have been to the beach this week and are so not stressed out like us!

Really interested to read smithone's pros and cons. The 4 cons are exactly what we are anticipating (particularly the lack of decent shops!), so it's good to hear that we haven't missed anything else. To us, the pros are worth taking the risk for. After all, you only live once - make the most of it.

All the best
IJS
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:41 pm
richard aa

Originally posted by smithone
Look upon the experience as an temporary overseas posting.

If you don't like it you can always return.

If you don't go through with it, then you'll always think "what if".

Good luck.

Its an absolutely beautiful moring in Auckland today. Not a cloud in the sky and temperatures pushing 15 degrees. Not bad for the middle of winter
thanks for your reply its nice to know people are out there willing to help, you are right in what you say 3 years doesnt sound the same as forever , thanks

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:44 pm
richard aa

Originally posted by IJS
If it's any consolation then I know you're not the only ones feeling like this. We are getting our passports back soon with the residency visas and what with all of the 'finer' details to sort out, we go through ups and downs (luckily when one is down then the other is up!). Ultimately we know we are going to do it and it will be worth doing it - as the others have said, you can always come back if it doesn't work out. You've got nothing to lose but lots to gain. Our friends in Auckland send us emails about how they have been to the beach this week and are so not stressed out like us!

Really interested to read smithone's pros and cons. The 4 cons are exactly what we are anticipating (particularly the lack of decent shops!), so it's good to hear that we haven't missed anything else. To us, the pros are worth taking the risk for. After all, you only live once - make the most of it.

All the best
IJS
many thanks ijs all these words of wisdom do make a difference, good luck to you to.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Another beautiful morning in Auckland today.

I'm taking a long lunch today and playing tennis for a couple of hours.

Don't remember ever doing this in London.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:47 pm
richard aa

My view of the Major Cons about New Zealand

Far away from friends and family
Financially worse off
Not a great career move
Poor shopping (according to my wife)

The upsides

Much better quality of life
More relaxed way of life
Less stress
Beautiful country
Hardly any people here
Great place to bring up kids

As Kiwipaul says its a very personal thing and depends on your motivation for moving here.
tell me smithone how long have you been in auckland ? was it right for you , cheers

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:50 pm
richard aa

Originally posted by deedee
we had residency before we decided to come here and did'nt know if we could be bothered with the work involved with moving.Its only now we are here we realised that for us it was a great move.The one thing to bear in mind is like what most people think,if you want you can always go back to the UK.If you don't try it its hard sitting there thinking what if we'd gone?
good luck

cheers deedee i think we have decided to give it a go , hey whats the worst that could happen!! thanks

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:55 pm
richard aa

Originally posted by tinaj
It is an exciting time waiting for the visas. A bit like waiting for a surprise Birthday present. When you get it the feeling is never as good as you expect. Anticipation and waiting to hear makes you want it even more.

When they finally arrive and you are actually given the permission to go you are bound to wonder whether you are doing the right thing. After all what is going to stop you from going now? Only yourself!

I felt similarly once the novelty had worn off of getting our visas to Oz. I decided to think about why I wanted to leave in the first place and how I would feel if I didn't go. I soon decided that however scarey it was, that deep down I knew we had to give it a try.

It is very hard to change your life when things are going well for you over here and the sun is shining. What were your main reasons for wanting to emigrate and do they still exist?

I really hope you come to the right decision. There are some major decisions to make and I for one am petrified of doing some of them- selling my lovely house and handing in my notice- for a start.

Will you regret not going, after all you can always come back. If you don't go would you be able to live happily with that decision?

I wish you all the best, it is a difficult thing to decide.

Tina
many thanks tinaj its nice to know were not the only ones, and yes you are right things are pretty good for us here so why upset the applecart but i suppose thats not the attitude that sent man to the moon or columbus to america!!! all the best to you to

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by richard aa
tell me smithone how long have you been in auckland ? was it right for you , cheers
I have been here since April 2002 with my wife and no kids. We are both early 30's no kids and were a bit disillutioned with life in London so fancied a change.

Life over here is good but too early to say whether we'll be here for ever. The main downside is missing our friends. We have met some great people over here but it takes a long time to develop friendships that are comparable with the ones you leave behind. You go through up and downs and during the downs you think about all the reasons why you left the UK in the first place.

Our plan is to stay for a minimum of 3 years which will give us NZ citizenship and the right to come and go as we please. There's also the British Lions tour in 2005 which I have to see. We may return to the UK for a few years to earn pounds and then possibly return later.

I think the first year is the hardest, we are over that know and are enjoying the kiwi way of life.

If you come here with an open mind and your eyes open to the downsides of life over here then you'll be OK.

Good luck with it all and if there's anything that we can do to help then let us know.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:22 pm
richard aa

I have been here since April 2002 with my wife and no kids. We are both early 30's no kids and were a bit disillutioned with life in London so fancied a change.

Life over here is good but too early to say whether we'll be here for ever. The main downside is missing our friends. We have met some great people over here but it takes a long time to develop friendships that are comparable with the ones you leave behind. You go through up and downs and during the downs you think about all the reasons why you left the UK in the first place.

Our plan is to stay for a minimum of 3 years which will give us NZ citizenship and the right to come and go as we please. There's also the British Lions tour in 2005 which I have to see. We may return to the UK for a few years to earn pounds and then possibly return later.

I think the first year is the hardest, we are over that know and are enjoying the kiwi way of life.

If you come here with an open mind and your eyes open to the downsides of life over here then you'll be OK.

Good luck with it all and if there's anything that we can do to help then let us know.

hi smitone thanks for your reply, it seems most people talk about this 3 year period for obvious reasons, we have children which is our main concern , the decisions we make now could be with them forever ! als we worry financialy that we will not be able to provide as we should daft i know but still valid, we will probably be able to purchase a freehold property , a car , and maybe a few grand left and then thats it dollars only im afraid!!!! the current exchange rate means coming back with a lot less than we went with , im only average joe in a trade so big money is out of the question !! who knows many thanks and kind regards .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.