Teaching in NZ

Old May 27th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

markandlinds is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Teaching in NZ

HI

Does anyone have any useful information on teachers salaries? It's a little confusing and I would like to know what I, as a Secondary school maths teacher, could hope to earn in NZ and how easy is it to live on as I have noticed that the lower end salary of NZ$30,000 equates to only £14,000. Is the cost of living also comparitively small or would I not start at this low end? My wife, who intends to be an ODP in hospitals, and two boys will be moving with me so there will be a second salary coming in.

thanks
Mark, Lindsey
Old May 27th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in NZ

You might find this link useful for cost of living.

Tax is different in NZ, in that there is no tax free allowance. All of your money is subject to tax.

Most people that have made the move seem to be saying that cost of living is same or higher than in UK but that you don't move to NZ for financial reasons - it's for the open spaces and what else is on offer for you and your family. Take a good look through the forum - there are a lot that say they are struggling but that are still glad they made the move.

What area are you looking at?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=509547&page=2
Old May 27th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Fogot to say, this is the website showing secondary school teachers salaries. You need to look at page 23/24. The lower level of 30,000 says it is for unqualified teachers. Those with a degree, I believe are level 7 and possibly the rate you would therefore start on is G3E or G3+E. This is just how I am reading it so may be hopelessly wrong!

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=1013
Old May 27th 2008, 10:28 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Ministry notes on overseas trained teachers:

http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-...yment/salaries

I was going to post another link then realised that it was the same one as chippys!

To be honest, I know quite a few teachers (though primary - not secondary) and very few of them have started on the base rate if the school was able to offer some sort of top up scale. Not quite sure how this actually worked with a collective agreement though??
Old May 28th 2008, 6:27 am
Just Joined

markandlinds is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.. looks to look into and think about...
Old May 28th 2008, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Richard H is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate

I'm a teacher too and have done some research into salaries. The top end ie MPS 6 in uk is approximately $NZ 65,000. Obviously HOD or management positions will be higher. Interestingly and disappointingly they do not recognise UPS ! So the max earning for a regular teacher is 65.

good luck

Richard
Old May 28th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really nice

Ah, no UPS, shame, I get there this sept. $66K it is then.

Surprising that they can't fill teaching positions, no progression.

I was interviewed (very informally, nice chat type interview) in two schools last year and was offered both jobs, I think they were desperate, head mentioned that the examination board was changing and many teaschers didnt agree, or was it that they couldnt be bothered to re write the new sow's.
Anyhow he said that many were returning to industry.
Dont know if its true, maybe someone else knows.