Reload this Page >

Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros

Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros

Old May 23rd 2008, 7:45 am
Just Joined

LotusEater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros

Originally Posted by lotuseater
Hi. My name is Aida and my family and I decided to relocate to NZ around April. I got the ball rolling and started sending off my CV to various district health boards two weeks ago (I am a midwife) and as of yesterday, following two interviews, I have received two conditional offers, pending my references and NZ immigration and Midwifery council clearance. One of the positions is in Central Auckland and the pay they are offering is in the region of $80k per annum and the other one is in Taranaki and the pay will be around $60k per annum, the two positions are different - one will involve caseloading (Auckland)and the the other is shift rostered (Taranaki). I have two more interviews lined up with Middlemore Hospital and Blenheim but to be honest, am feeling really confused as I can't seem to make up my mind about which offer to accept. It has been made worse by reading what some people are saying on here that they are living on an income of >$100k and still struggling. We will be living on one income and we have 6 children under 13 and I do wonder if we will cope financially.
Originally Posted by hjmilligan
i Aida and family weather you will cope all depends on; Will you need a mortgage,a car,holidays abroad(if that what you are used to). Everyone's different. Good luck with your plans

hmmm, no, we will not be needing holidays abroad as we can't even afford that now in England, even holiday in England, what with 6 children - our holildays involve camping and visiting friends who can accommodate us

I will most certainly need a car, even two really as my job stipulates that I have one and I get the feeling that paying for six children on public transportation might cost more than having a car, of course I am guessing here.

At the end of the day though, it isn't all about the money, we want a different pace of life. It's just a little unsettling to read some posts commenting on how much people struggle on salaries of $100+.

Last edited by BEVS; May 23rd 2008 at 10:53 pm. Reason: to add in info from Intro post.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:52 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the forum

I have no kids and the total budgetary experience i have to manage is whether i can afford a train pass each month-So take this with a grain of salt- but I am guessing that with 6 children you are probably already good at budgeting. Possibly more so than many people (unless you are on a particularly high income currently!) due to the sheer number of children you have. So maybe it would help to give your expectations of NZ? Do you want a bedroom for each child? Or is a 4 bedroom house in the burbs ok? I assume public schooling is ok...stuff like that. Since you say that you are happy to camp and do budget holidays this would certainly help. Someone once told me that most people live to their income. Therefore if they earn $100,000 they spend that. If they earn $50,000 then they spend that.

Sorry I can't actually help you. Someone with children no doubt could, and someone who is eligible for the working for families $ may well have a better idea (i have no idea about eligibility). I know of many families who earn much less than $100,000 and are certainly *not* struggling. They travel overseas (ok Australia mostly) but they do also manage their money. But, some no doubt are struggling. So i guess it is about expenses and what you consider necessary... Like I said though, i have no children so can't make an honest judgement. Someone else can do that.

ps check the contract with the car. If it is not a pool car then a certain amount of private usage is often included (eg 50km a week, 20% travel etc etc). For practical reasons it is often quite difficult for employers to be very strict with the travel.
Good luck.

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; May 23rd 2008 at 7:58 am.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Hi. Thanks for replying. No, we're not living on high income here - only I work as we decided that we would like for the children to be raised by one parent being a constant all the time so we've pretty much done without 'extras'. I find that it is difficult to find people in the UK who are understanding of our parenting style and family values. Like I said, we don't take holidays abroad and our last holiday was last August to a Big Green Gathering festival where I managed to get free tickets by offering to be the midwife on site. We don't drive new cars ((have never been able to afford them) and the children are home educated. The house we are currently in is a four bedroomed house, it isn't spacious and the garden is of modest proportions.

The impression that I got of New Zealand, talking to friends who are midwives there is that there does appear to be strong family values, and children appear to have a freer existence with the luxury of being able to stay children for longer. We would like to eventually be somewhere where is open space for the children to roam. The optimist in me feel that we will be fine because we don't feel the need to own everything new, or drive new cars, or have Sky (we don't even have that here out of choice), or have holidays abroad - in fact we don't even drink alcohol. Surely all these will help our finances?

So in short, an old car, 2nd hand home goods, 4 bedroom and camping holidays will be fine with us. The biggest drive for me to be in NZ is that I feel the maternity system is better than the UK and there is higher job satisfaction involved.

P.S. my only luxury is Oreo cookies - Goddess help us if we have to get them shipped from abroad.
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotusEater
Hi. Thanks for replying. No, we're not living on high income here - only I work as we decided that we would like for the children to be raised by one parent being a constant all the time so we've pretty much done without 'extras'. I find that it is difficult to find people in the UK who are understanding of our parenting style and family values. Like I said, we don't take holidays abroad and our last holiday was last August to a Big Green Gathering festival where I managed to get free tickets by offering to be the midwife on site. We don't drive new cars ((have never been able to afford them) and the children are home educated. The house we are currently in is a four bedroomed house, it isn't spacious and the garden is of modest proportions.

The impression that I got of New Zealand, talking to friends who are midwives there is that there does appear to be strong family values, and children appear to have a freer existence with the luxury of being able to stay children for longer. We would like to eventually be somewhere where is open space for the children to roam. The optimist in me feel that we will be fine because we don't feel the need to own everything new, or drive new cars, or have Sky (we don't even have that here out of choice), or have holidays abroad - in fact we don't even drink alcohol. Surely all these will help our finances?

So in short, an old car, 2nd hand home goods, 4 bedroom and camping holidays will be fine with us. The biggest drive for me to be in NZ is that I feel the maternity system is better than the UK and there is higher job satisfaction involved.

P.S. my only luxury is Oreo cookies - Goddess help us if we have to get them shipped from abroad.
Ok I will deal with the important question. Oreos can be purchased at New World and Woolworths Supermarkets (two of the biggies). I have no clue, however, if they can be purchased at Pak n Save or Countdown (the cheaper ones). So you may have to buy a special purchase at woolies.

If you are considering homeschooling your children then you may want to contact the home schooling association.

One site:
http://www.home.school.nz/

I have no idea about homeschooling - though I understand financial support is very limited - but I know the Home school association goes on a trip to Mt Ruapehu every year for some skiing (of all the random things to know).
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Ok I will deal with the important question. Oreos can be purchased at New World and Woolworths Supermarkets (two of the biggies). I have no clue, however, if they can be purchased at Pak n Save or Countdown (the cheaper ones). So you may have to buy a special purchase at woolies.

Sorted!!!!
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi Aida, welcome! I am an Active Birth teacher in Birmingham, moving to Auckland next year with my husband dennis (a builder) and 3 kids (14, 17 and 19).

All I can say from my research is that the wages are higher in Auckland and I know property prices can be higher but you can still find good properties much cheaper than here for a 4 bedroom. Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz for properties for rent or to buy. if you get one that needs work doing give us a shout next year and I will send Dennis over for a quote!! Good luck. Also write a post on the main forum page as more people will read it.

Lindsay
Old May 24th 2008, 8:54 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife new to forum - split from New to the Forum in Intros

hmmm, no, we will not be needing holidays abroad as we can't even afford that now in England, even holiday in England, what with 6 children - our holildays involve camping and visiting friends who can accommodate us

I will most certainly need a car, even two really as my job stipulates that I have one and I get the feeling that paying for six children on public transportation might cost more than having a car, of course I am guessing here.

At the end of the day though, it isn't all about the money, we want a different pace of life. It's just a little unsettling to read some posts commenting on how much people struggle on salaries of $100+.
Hello and welcome to the forum,

NZ certainly needs more midwives! You'll be very busy!

I think most people struggle with a budget because they didn't expect to, if you see what I mean. People don't realise how expensive life is in NZ until you get in here and start living. My husband and I always joke about how we don't understand how anyone can live on less than 100k. But my husband and I are silly with money and want to buy lots of over priced things. People that take the time to budget do manage to successfully own homes, have cars and afford food for the family. I don't know how but they do and with six kids you'll obviously be very good at budgeting and planning for the future. NZ is a lifestyle change, its not the first place that springs to mind if you want to earn loads of money and live the high life. My husband and I recently trialed life on a budget, we took a lot of care and consideration in shopping, paying bills, we ate a lot less take out, drove in such a way as to conserve petrol, watched the electricity we used and didn't take 'day trips' (which for us is usually a four hour drive at least, lunch/dinner out). The difference was HUGE!! Although we didn't resort to buying 'budget' goods from the supermarkets, we did monitor what we needed. It was a very interesting experience and gave me a greater appreciation of where money gets wasted so quickly. Its certainly more than possible to get the nessecities and make it through the month. Good luck with your move!
Old May 24th 2008, 8:57 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say from my research is that the wages are higher in Auckland and I know property prices can be higher but you can still find good properties much cheaper than here for a 4 bedroom. Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz for properties for rent or to buy.

<gasps> That's my line! Yeah, trademe is good! And you can get a good reasonably priced car - but its best to buy out of Auckland if you can - big difference.
Old May 24th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

If it is between Auckland and Taranaki - Take the job in Taranaki.

It is all fine and well comparing salaries and costs of living, but you have to remember that it's all relative. In Auckland you will see nicer houses, nicer cars, yachts, etc. Even on higher salaries this makes people feel poorer relative to living and working elsewhere. On top of that, you will have to put up with Aucklanders and all the problems they create!!

No doubt about it, I would live in Taranaki!
Old May 24th 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

hahhahah, thanks for that. I've pretty much set my mind on Taranaki too, I have another interview with South Auckland but not sure if they will manage to sway me.

And anyway, what is money in the grand scheme of things, eh?
Old May 24th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

hahhahah, thanks for that. I've pretty much set my mind on Taranaki too, I have another interview with South Auckland but not sure if they will manage to sway me.

And anyway, what is money in the grand scheme of things, eh?
Have you done a recce yet?

Middlemore is a disgusting place - it is in one of the worst parts of the country. You wouldn't want to live there, so your commute time would be significant. The commute would not be a pretty one either!

On the other hand, New Plymouth is a nice little town near the coast with only a short drive to skiing, hiking, countryside, the central plateau and loads of other things. Things that would be important for a family with 6 kids! Also, if you do want to go for a holiday in another country, only a short drive to New Zealand's closest neighbour, Whangamomona!
Old May 24th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Have you done a recce yet?

Middlemore is a disgusting place - it is in one of the worst parts of the country.
No wonder I didn't find many pretty pictures of it when I googled.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Tapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really nice

[QUOTE=LotusEater;6383610]... The biggest drive for me to be in NZ is that I feel the maternity system is better than the UK and there is higher job satisfaction involved. QUOTE]

Hi Lotus Eater,

You say that it is the job satisfaction that is the key, surely you would get that in South Auckland. The demography would certainly allow for that considering the high rate of normal vaginal deliveries.

We are moving to Auckland next year and have a job offer at Middlemore Hospital as a Midwife. It is true that Southern Auckland might not be the best area to relocate to especially with a family, but, there are many nice areas to the east and a bit further south. I think we would all like to live close to where we work but sometimes you can't and like you i am after job satisfaction which I feel i can achieve at Middlemore.

Good luck wherever you decide to end up

Tapuhi
Old May 25th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Hi

I know very little about the normal birth rate in Middlemore, can you expand a little? I know Taranaki has a 10% homebirth rate and I am afterall a homebirth midwife and plan to go independent as soon as possible. Have you gone for a hospital based position or a domino one? I am being interviewed for a domino midwife position in Middlemore.
Old May 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really niceTapuhi is just really nice

I was informed that Middlemore has the highest rate of births in NZ.

I am unsure as to the homebirth rate around Manukau but would guess that it was quite low.

I have gone for a hospital based position as I have only been qualified for just over a year, but would be looking to end up as an Independant once I have gained enough experience.

Good luck for your interview, when is it?

Last edited by Tapuhi; May 25th 2008 at 7:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.