Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tax Scam but I don't see what the scam is?

Tax Scam but I don't see what the scam is?

Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tax Scam but I don't see what the scam is?

I don't understand the bizzare nature of this scam:
Mr Liu created fictitious sales and expenses for each of the companies and then filed GST returns from an internet cafe. This was calculated to avoid detection, he knew very well what he was doing was wrong and now he’s paying the price.
Linky: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...home-detention

So is it illegal to falsify business transactions and overpay your taxes?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Scam but I don't see what the scam is?

He was claiming losses and refunds of GST i.e. more expenses than sales.

The only transactions in the accounts were Inland Revenue refund cheques and withdrawals of those refunds in lump sums. No other business activity was recorded.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

So easy to do as everything is online now. I don't see that 5 months home detention and paying back $30k when he nicked $45k "sends a strong message to others trying to cheat the system" - unless it's the wrong message!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:34 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
So easy to do as everything is online now. I don't see that 5 months home detention and paying back $30k when he nicked $45k "sends a strong message to others trying to cheat the system" - unless it's the wrong message!!
Yeah, now he gets to go on whatever jobseekers is round here and play on the wii for 5 months.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
:yep: Short sighted as well, should have registered the company under someone else’s name and had an offshore anonymous account to collect his fraudulent tax “refunds”.

It would be great to write a blog about scams that probe big companies and tax departments for weaknesses to exploit, if only you could do it without fear of prosecution. Alas people don't take kindly to being made to look like fools .