Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

tanker driving in NZ

tanker driving in NZ

Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Tanker mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tanker driving in NZ

as an experienced petrol tanker driver since 2003, id like to relocate to NZ, does anyone know of which transport companies deal with ADR/HAZMAT/DANGEROPUS GOODS.

how easy is it to try to obtain a sponser to acheive this, i already have short term accomadation i can use in the first few months if i did get over there, so halve the battle.

any, and all info recieved would be great, good or bad.

Mac
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tanker driving in NZ

Check on here, might be some help

Truck driver is on the Immediate skill shortage list so I guess the first step is submit an EOI

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 10th 2012 at 9:34 am.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

there are plenty of general truck driving jobs here and i have seen the odd advert for tanker drivers BUT, everybody does bang on about driving experience on Kiwi roads i dont know why it,s a piece of piss driving round here compared to any city centre in the UK

Neil
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

Be careful with the EOI as I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, Truck Driver is on the ISSL but is NOT on the skilled list for residency. Therefore you can get a work visa easily and you could get WTR with an accredited company but you can't apply for residency based on that job?

Looking forward to seeing the answers as we have been here nearly 2 years on various temp. visas, and have just had the residency declined as my teaching job is not permanent, yet my partner works for CityCare as a Truck Driver (not enough basic pay for WTR with an accredited company).
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rossojo
Be careful with the EOI as I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, Truck Driver is on the ISSL but is NOT on the skilled list for residency. Therefore you can get a work visa easily and you could get WTR with an accredited company but you can't apply for residency based on that job?

Looking forward to seeing the answers as we have been here nearly 2 years on various temp. visas, and have just had the residency declined as my teaching job is not permanent, yet my partner works for CityCare as a Truck Driver (not enough basic pay for WTR with an accredited company).
Correct.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:13 pm
`

Hi to Tanker Mac.

You wouldn't be getting 'sponsored' by an NZ employer as such. What you would do is try for a job offer here. You would need to convert your UK license to an NZ one of course.

This occupation isn't seen as skilled , so you couldn't apply to remain in Nz using that option.

The occupation always appears on the immediate shortage list though which means that an NZ employer is able to offer you work. It is a list to help NZ employers.

You apply for a temporary work visa. This ties you to the employer and is valid for the length of time stated on your contract. I think it can be up to 3 years at a time. ( Someone correct this if it;s 2 years or summat)

You would remain working on a temporary visa unless yo happen upon a driving job offering you $55K NZD pa for a 40 hour week. This would probably be through what is called an 'accredited ' employer. If you could gain that , then you could apply for a Work to Residence visa. This would mean that you need to keep that job and that rate of pay ( unless the rules change) for 2 years , after which you could apply for residency.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:57 pm
`

Originally Posted by rossojo

Looking forward to seeing the answers as we have been here nearly 2 years on various temp. visas, and have just had the residency declined as my teaching job is not permanent, .
Rats ! Any chance of a perm contract?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Hooker Pacific employ fuel tanker drivers. Fonterra have just recruited and do this time every year for milk tanker drivers.

Both are accredited for WTR visa if you are under 55years old
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BEVS
Rats ! Any chance of a perm contract?
Not at the minute, will start applying for every permanent English teacher job when they start appearing in the Edgazette