Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

taking shotguns to N.Z.

taking shotguns to N.Z.

Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:37 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking shotguns to N.Z.

I shoot Clay Pigeons here in the U.K. I would like to take my gun to N.Z. when we go in Nov this year. We will have our Permanent Residency. Has anyone had experience of taking a gun to N.Z. and were there any pitfalls.Cheers guys.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:40 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking shotguns to N.Z.

This might be helpful:

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/fi...importing.html
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedsy
I shoot Clay Pigeons here in the U.K. I would like to take my gun to N.Z. when we go in Nov this year. We will have our Permanent Residency. Has anyone had experience of taking a gun to N.Z. and were there any pitfalls.Cheers guys.
I have never owned a gun so not too sure of pricing but might be worth a look at
http://www.guncity.co.nz/xurl/functi...0/content.html

or

http://www.guncity.co.nz/xurl/functi...0/content.html

Prices to me seem pretty good but having never bought one i dont know
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Hi my husband brought his guns with us when we came here from uk.

there were a couple he couldnt bring i will ask and re-post tonight.
As far as im aware they had to be packed individually and declared they were held at maff for a couple of days and then delivered to us. I assume it was so they could be checked. You will need to get a fire arms license and go through some interviews with the fire arms department and sit a safety test and make sure you have a gun safe to lock it away. Contact the fire arms department in NZ for more info to be sure you will find them on the net. I believe thats what my hubby done before he considered bringing his.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

PM Me... it is easy...
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Hi my husband brought his guns with us when we came here from uk.

there were a couple he couldnt bring i will ask and re-post tonight.
As far as im aware they had to be packed individually and declared they were held at maff for a couple of days and then delivered to us. I assume it was so they could be checked. You will need to get a fire arms license and go through some interviews with the fire arms department and sit a safety test and make sure you have a gun safe to lock it away. Contact the fire arms department in NZ for more info to be sure you will find them on the net. I believe thats what my hubby done before he considered bringing his.
and people from Bellshill passed the interviews with the fire arm dept ........
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

The only people i knew in the Toon with shot guns were people who had felt the need to make the barrels shorter, something to do with making them easier to carry, or thats what they told me...
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alanmacc

Hahaha we did indeed, must look honest which we are btw
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:43 pm
Banned

Hi
Did your husband check his gun in at the U.K. airport as baggage. Then apply for a visitor's license at the N.Z. end. I've been told you can do that but i'm just checking it out. Cheers for your reply.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Did your husband check his gun in at the U.K. airport as baggage. Then apply for a visitor's license at the N.Z. end. I've been told you can do that but i'm just checking it out. Cheers for your reply.
Spoke to hubby and yes apparently you can d as you said, he told me to tell you to contact the the NZ police department there is a link that takes you to fire arms deartment. Let me now how it goes !
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:35 pm
Banned

Hi
I contacted the Police and they said i had to leave my gun in the ' country of origin' in my case the U.K. and when i obtained my N.Z. license i have to get a Permit to Import. The thing is i need my Permanent Residency to get a licence and that will take 2 years so to continue shooting i'll have to find a decent club and use their guns. Still, after 2 years i'll have saved up enough to replace all my firearms i sold here. Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

If they're from Bellshill they were probably conducting the interview

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Hahaha we did indeed, must look honest which we are btw
Only joshing in the above post...honest.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
I contacted the Police and they said i had to leave my gun in the ' country of origin' in my case the U.K. and when i obtained my N.Z. license i have to get a Permit to Import. The thing is i need my Permanent Residency to get a licence and that will take 2 years so to continue shooting i'll have to find a decent club and use their guns. Still, after 2 years i'll have saved up enough to replace all my firearms i sold here. Cheers
Hiya, ah yes maybe thats the difference we had permanent residency before we came here. Lots of good clubs though that will welcome you.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leither
If they're from Bellshill they were probably conducting the interview

Only joshing in the above post...honest.

Haha guys not from Bellshill, just lived there for a while, and it wasnt that bad as long as you stayed at home after dark lol