Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking everything with you ?!

Taking everything with you ?!

Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:08 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking everything with you ?!

Originally Posted by leedge
But don't try to bring any wicker stuff (sorry Sky!) it's one of the few types of furniture that MAF won't allow in - too easy to hide nasty bugs it seems.

Laurence
Is it , thank goodness they didn't find the few wicker and seagrass things the packers wrapped before I had time to stop them then
Are you certain though, I mean how do folk manage to import so many wicker conservatory suites and basket ware from china and such likes if that's the case?
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sky
Is it , thank goodness they didn't find the few wicker and seagrass things the packers wrapped before I had time to stop them then
Are you certain though, I mean how do folk manage to import so many wicker conservatory suites and basket ware from china and such likes if that's the case?
Seems like it's not banned, but you can expect to pay $200 or so for a MAF inspection (see http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/pl...ucts/index.htm) so maybe OK for fancy 3 piece suite but not worth it for a linen basket
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:28 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedge
Seems like it's not banned, but you can expect to pay $200 or so for a MAF inspection (see http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/pl...ucts/index.htm) so maybe OK for fancy 3 piece suite but not worth it for a linen basket
True, you'd be well gutted wouldn't you for a fruit bowl or something.
We had MAF come to us to inspect a few things and she spent a micro amount of minutes looking at them and said thanks no probs at all and goodbye
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:44 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

We are planning on bringing as much as possible

Just how much can you get in a 20ft container and how much more is a 40ft one? Are they double or do you get twice as much space for half as much.

May have some spare space in a 40footer later this year - If anyone needs stuff shipping to Christchurch....toiletries, chocolate etc....

just need to sell my house!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GowHow
We are planning on bringing as much as possible

Just how much can you get in a 20ft container and how much more is a 40ft one? Are they double or do you get twice as much space for half as much.

May have some spare space in a 40footer later this year - If anyone needs stuff shipping to Christchurch....toiletries, chocolate etc....

just need to sell my house!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got contents of 3 bed house & we have quite a bit of furniture
i'll pm you if it helps
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:49 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I so wish we'd brought ours too, the top loaders here seem very american and cool when you first get here but our clothes get ripped to shreds in our washer and it doesn't even have one of those middle agitator things to blame it on. You should see our towels :scared: poor things are in tatters and T shirts have little pin holes in them in a matter of washes. Maybe it's a combination of harsh machine, harsh minerals in the water, harsh washing powder and harsh sun
Yeah we paid $1600 for ours at the exchange of 2.4 so it cost roughly £666. If I had got one in the Uk for that it would have been a really good machine. My daughters white socks come out looking like they have been dipped in cold water and spun... When we bought ours I thought 'oh great a big machine that I can wash loads of stuff in', reality is that I still put the same amount in because they just dont get clean. Hey ho...
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Yeah we paid $1600 for ours at the exchange of 2.4 so it cost roughly £666. If I had got one in the Uk for that it would have been a really good machine. My daughters white socks come out looking like they have been dipped in cold water and spun... When we bought ours I thought 'oh great a big machine that I can wash loads of stuff in', reality is that I still put the same amount in because they just dont get clean. Hey ho...

Mine too. And the quickest wash takes an hour and 18 mins. My old machine in UK the quick wash was 32 mins! I still prefer it to a top loader though.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:49 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
ha ha same thing happened to us with wicker laundry basket too Sky. We gave all our tools away too because it was the height of foot and mouth when we left and we just didn't want the bill for them being cleaned - but they ended up cleaning all my horse stuff anyway -even though I'd had it profesionally cleaned in the UK by MAFF before!! :scared:
Old Oct 5th 2006, 10:02 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by mumomonty
ha ha same thing happened to us with wicker laundry basket too Sky. We gave all our tools away too because it was the height of foot and mouth when we left and we just didn't want the bill for them being cleaned - but they ended up cleaning all my horse stuff anyway -even though I'd had it profesionally cleaned in the UK by MAFF before!! :scared:
I declared my riding boots and hat and stuff too (way too honest me) but they weren't bothered about it when we came over and the only thing they wanted to look at was a few bikes and a stihl saw that the shippers had mistakenly put down as a chain saw.
I regret leaving our chimenea it was far, far better than the rubbish that's starting to come into the shops here. Thicker metal and you could get a fire going in it and the whole thing would glow red hot lol then as the fire died down it would keep us warm out on the patio into the early hours
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
I declared my riding boots and hat and stuff too (way too honest me) but they weren't bothered about it when we came over and the only thing they wanted to look at was a few bikes and a stihl saw that the shippers had mistakenly put down as a chain saw.
I regret leaving our chimenea it was far, far better than the rubbish that's starting to come into the shops here. Thicker metal and you could get a fire going in it and the whole thing would glow red hot lol then as the fire died down it would keep us warm out on the patio into the early hours
We seem to be in the minority, only travelling with 4 suitcases , with a slight luggage upgrade from Singapore Airlines. It seems that 3-4 thousand pounds can buy a lot of stuff and avoids loads of hassle.

To anyone shipping a TV
Did you know that English TVs don´t work in NZ ? you will have no sound !
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:54 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
We seem to be in the minority, only travelling with 4 suitcases , with a slight luggage upgrade from Singapore Airlines. It seems that 3-4 thousand pounds can buy a lot of stuff and avoids loads of hassle.

To anyone shipping a TV
Did you know that English TVs don´t work in NZ ? you will have no sound !
is that really the case if you buy a cheapie VCR and use it as the tuner - then you can easily connect it to a modern TV with SCART / phono leads - did the same with my old monitor for a commodore amiga in 1993 when our TV broke!!!!!
so we're taking our monster tosh.....if we go that is??????
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
is that really the case if you buy a cheapie VCR and use it as the tuner - then you can easily connect it to a modern TV with SCART / phono leads - did the same with my old monitor for a commodore amiga in 1993 when our TV broke!!!!!
so we're taking our monster tosh.....if we go that is??????
why might you not go lardyl ? is it your OH who is not keen ?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi

I'm in the middle of trying to convince my DH that we should take everything we own with us (within reason - not taking the chintz). I only want to take necessities - beds, kids toys, extra toiletries and kids medicines (Calpol,Nurofen etc), TVs, kids bedroom stuff (can't get it over there for love nor money!) and make-up lol.

Is there any reason I should leave it - ie: expensive to ship, inexpensive to buy furniture in NZ ??? I'm really stuck !! I am definately shipping photo's and toys over anyway but can stick them in a couple of boxes and wait at the other end for them ... decisions, decisions !!!

What did you do ?? What would you do ?? Ship or Dump ...

Michelle & Carl
Hi there, We are going through the same here. I have been given a quote for £1063 for the bear essentials and personal effects or £2360 for just about everything except our three piece suite. Just need to work out the cost of replacing the furniture over there as a comparison. I have a feeling that it will be 50/50 cost wise. Maybe keep each other informed of costs and what we both decide in the end.
All the best
Steve
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Hi there, We are going through the same here. I have been given a quote for £1063 for the bear essentials and personal effects or £2360 for just about everything except our three piece suite. Just need to work out the cost of replacing the furniture over there as a comparison. I have a feeling that it will be 50/50 cost wise. Maybe keep each other informed of costs and what we both decide in the end.
All the best
Steve

Hi Steve,

If you don't mind, who gave you the quote of £2360 ??
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi Steve,

If you don't mind, who gave you the quote of £2360 ??
Hi there, I received the quote from First move http://www.shipit.co.uk/
The actual total was £2161.50 for 10.5 cubic meters. They have a clever estimating feature on their site that provides a detailed inventory of the average house contents. You just simply enter the quantity of each item you wish to send on their list and it gives you an estimated total at the end. I over estimated just to be on the safe side so hopefully it wont be quite so much. This price includes them collecting our effects from our house, papalleting it all up and customs sealing it all. It also includes any customs charges incurred from the UK but not the possible NZ charges. They do offer a packaging service as well but we are going to save money and do that ourselves. This quote does not include transit insurance though. That is another 4% of the total value of your goods on top.
I have seen them recommended in this forum as one of the better companies. certainly worth taking a look at their web site and getting a quote. They are very efficient and friendly with their replies to.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.