Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Take it or Leave it????

Take it or Leave it????

Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:59 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Take it or Leave it????

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We left 14 radiators run off an Aga back in the UK and moved into our pretty newly biult home here last June (Autumn/Winter) We had a gas fireplace in the living room, a gas fireplace in the outside/dogs' room and under floor heating (coz we're dead posh) in both bathrooms. And we froze!!! My Hubby and I "won" the bidding on 2 gas heaters on TradeMe and were a whooping and a hollering round the kitchen high 5'ing each other with excitement! It takes the chill off. We also have an electric radiator on the upstairs landing which does the same thing. The kids have electric blankets on their beds that they haven't used yet. We don't run the underfloor heating as it just seems to turn the bathrooms into a sauna!

Buy here on TradeMe, I think one of our very attractive portable gas heaters was $70 and the other $60!
Hey

Thanks for the advice, we are looking at a new build too.... maybe i'm just posh like you hahaha

No seriously lol with central heating in the UK it makes your home nice and cosy even if its -10 outside lol But not sure it would be the same there. Cool thats not bad for a gas heater.

Also is there no scope to get central heating in NZ. My dads a retired plumber/gas engineer.... i'll get him over to sort it out lol

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:04 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Hey

Thanks for the advice, we are looking at a new build too.... maybe i'm just posh like you hahaha

No seriously lol with central heating in the UK it makes your home nice and cosy even if its -10 outside lol But not sure it would be the same there. Cool thats not bad for a gas heater.

Also is there no scope to get central heating in NZ. My dads a retired plumber/gas engineer.... i'll get him over to sort it out lol

Cheers
A new, new build since March this year must have double glazing from what I understand, so that will help to an extent. We don't have that (clearly not posh enough!)

You can get various different forms of heating put in, they favour heatpumps here which are pretty effective and can double up as air conditioning units - which we could have done with over the summer. Will depend where you're headed? They are just starting to get into solar heating as an option.

SarahB who is in Browns Bay, Auckland, got central heating installed and they worked out it was cheaper to get it imported from Italy!

Where are you looking to settle?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:28 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

A new, new build since March this year must have double glazing from what I understand, so that will help to an extent. We don't have that (clearly not posh enough!)

You can get various different forms of heating put in, they favour heatpumps here which are pretty effective and can double up as air conditioning units - which we could have done with over the summer. Will depend where you're headed? They are just starting to get into solar heating as an option.

SarahB who is in Browns Bay, Auckland, got central heating installed and they worked out it was cheaper to get it imported from Italy!

Where are you looking to settle?
Well we were looking into various places, mainly for work reasons. Auckland seems to have a large proportion of the jobs in IT and hubby has a contact there. I loved Tauranga, but its difficult to get work.. or so i believe.

We looked at wellingon also, but not sure. They also have some good employment opportunities.

There are some nice suburbs about 30mins to 1 hour away from the city, and we would choose somewhere further out, mainly for the kids.

Yeah i heard the heat pumps are ok, still favour the central heating option tho.

Can i ask, did u build you own? we were looking at buying land and then building on it, but not sure.

But anyway, we are gonna have to rent until we get settled, so i just hope we can get a decent rental thats cosy lol

xxx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we were looking into various places, mainly for work reasons. Auckland seems to have a large proportion of the jobs in IT and hubby has a contact there. I loved Tauranga, but its difficult to get work.. or so i believe.

We looked at wellingon also, but not sure. They also have some good employment opportunities.

There are some nice suburbs about 30mins to 1 hour away from the city, and we would choose somewhere further out, mainly for the kids.

Yeah i heard the heat pumps are ok, still favour the central heating option tho.

Can i ask, did u build you own? we were looking at buying land and then building on it, but not sure.

But anyway, we are gonna have to rent until we get settled, so i just hope we can get a decent rental thats cosy lol

xxx
We found a fully furnished holiday let on www.bookabatch.co.nz which would also take our 2 dogs and paid an extortionate amount of money to rent that for the first 6 weeks, with an option to extend on a week by week basis. I think it was absolutely the right thing for us to do with 4 kids and 2 dogs. We then upped our initial budget to buy as we were getting desperate, and purchased a 5ish (can't remember ) year old home for way more omeny than we had intended to spend.

Having said that, after the initial "Buyer Regret" we couldn't have bought better. Location, layout, size etc.

My Hubby (Kiwi) would love to ultimately build his own home, but it doesn't stack up in the current market. (I'm in Real estate! Sorry)
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:49 pm
Chocoholic

We found a fully furnished holiday let on www.bookabatch.co.nz which would also take our 2 dogs and paid an extortionate amount of money to rent that for the first 6 weeks, with an option to extend on a week by week basis. I think it was absolutely the right thing for us to do with 4 kids and 2 dogs. We then upped our initial budget to buy as we were getting desperate, and purchased a 5ish (can't remember ) year old home for way more omeny than we had intended to spend.

Having said that, after the initial "Buyer Regret" we couldn't have bought better. Location, layout, size etc.

My Hubby (Kiwi) would love to ultimately build his own home, but it doesn't stack up in the current market. (I'm in Real estate! Sorry)
Yeah i've had a wee look at the site, but like u say its very expensive! I think we will do the same, maybe 8 weeks or so. It will give us a good chance to look around and decide where we want to go.

I think we all do that - go over budget a wee bit. But at least its what you wanted, nothing worse than buying a nightmare. I've been there before.. it just feels like there is always another BIG job to be done, kitchen, bathroom, loft etc.

xxx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

There ain't an alternative to IKEA! That's why I'd say bring, bring, bring. You won't regret it. But, you might regret not bringing all those little things which you thought you'd pick up easily here and are just not available.

The beauty of IKEA stuff is that it fits in most places unlike much of the heavier furniture around. Also, If you've got good quality electrical goods and good tools bring these because quality is lacking here in many areas.

Also, bring lot of shoes and medium priced slacks. Decent shoes cost an arm and a leg here and you get tired of the horrid plastic smell of many shoe shops here.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:57 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Treats in the packing are the best! I packed lots of yummy toiletries and stuff, almost three years on I'm still using some of them, probably off by now
When I packed our bed linen I put it in a big trunk and put lavender scented tissues in with it in layers, when we opened it it was lovely.

As for taking everything, I think yes. But if you decide not to I would definitely consider taking some favourite things. I remember when I was unpacking everything being absolutely over the moon ( and a little tearful) when I came across my tea mugs. They just felt like home.
I found it was the small things that made all the difference, doesn't matter how desperate you are to make the move, when you arrive you are very far away from all that you've known, especially, if like me, you'd not been here before getting PR and if there's a wee thing to make you feel better then take it, whether it's some photos, or a special ornament or a tea cup!

We also packed one set of our own bed linen in our luggage, I know it was heavy and took up room, but it was the nicest thing to sleep on your own sheets.

If you don't feel the need to take your furniture there are lots of places here to get things, but remember if you choose to live rurally there is way less choice. There are some ace secondhand places though, I got all our mixed dining chairs and recovered and painted then up and they look brilliant (to me!)

You mentioned that your beds need to be taken apart, with our shippers it was part of the deal that they dismantled them and put them together at the other end, it was no problem.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:01 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i've had a wee look at the site, but like u say its very expensive! I think we will do the same, maybe 8 weeks or so. It will give us a good chance to look around and decide where we want to go.

xxx
Sorry, I don't know when you're planning on coming over, but if you go off season lots of the baches cost way less, I have ours advertised on this site and there's a difference of $200 per week inbetween high and low season.
Another thing, a fair amount of the normal rentals arent furnished so therefor are cheaper.
That being said, we had no furniture for 12 weeks! Kind people lent us some stuff though and really you get totally used to having nothing.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:02 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Originally Posted by whitesand
There ain't an alternative to IKEA! That's why I'd say bring, bring, bring. You won't regret it. But, you might regret not bringing all those little things which you thought you'd pick up easily here and are just not available.

The beauty of IKEA stuff is that it fits in most places unlike much of the heavier furniture around. Also, If you've got good quality electrical goods and good tools bring these because quality is lacking here in many areas.

Also, bring lot of shoes and medium priced slacks. Decent shoes cost an arm and a leg here and you get tired of the horrid plastic smell of many shoe shops here.
Good advice the kids shoes are terrible.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

ldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant futureldwilliams has a brilliant future

I second the "kids shoes are terrible" comment. We bought new shoes from Clarks for our two in London just before we left so at least they had one season in decent shoes. There are no shops that actually professionally measure the children's feet - just spotty teenagers guessing at the size. There is nothing like Clarks at all over here. Shoes are generally cheap and nasty or very expensive - my daughter's leather sandals for school cost $80.00 and she's only 5 years old!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but couldnt really find anything related.

My question is this?? Should we ship our household goods or buy new when we get there?

My reasons to decide if we should take the stuff or leave it are:

1. We have a small 2 bedroom house
2. Most of our furniture will be due to get replaced soon, (next few years) apart from the new kitchen (which we cant take anyway) and our bedroom furniture (mainly consists of large Fitted wardrobes!
3. The value of the remaining contents isnt great!
4. The cost of shipping would be approx £3000

I think we could get essentials for a house on about £6000, if we didnt go mad!

Any advice appreciated!

Also anyone in NZ, what furniture retaillers are there? I love IKEA but i know there isnt one there, so whats the alternative?

Thanks xxx
TAKE TAKE TAKE...............................everything!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will regret it if you dont. I am afraid that NZ furniture is overpriced and appears shoddily made in my opinion. It cost us $9k to buy back all the white goods we gave away!!!!!!!! Pack your container with non perishables (that you are allowed by MAF) that you are likely to miss and that will comfort you in the early days!!!!

It cost us about £7.5k to bring a 40 footer over in 2005..best £7k I ever spent!!!!! All my stuff from the UK made me really feel at home here!!! Good luck!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
TAKE TAKE TAKE...............................everything!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will regret it if you dont. I am afraid that NZ furniture is overpriced and appears shoddily made in my opinion. It cost us $9k to buy back all the white goods we gave away!!!!!!!! Pack your container with non perishables (that you are allowed by MAF) that you are likely to miss and that will comfort you in the early days!!!!

It cost us about £7.5k to bring a 40 footer over in 2005..best £7k I ever spent!!!!! All my stuff from the UK made me really feel at home here!!! Good luck!!

OR..buy a load of flat packed IKEA stuff...only problem is if customs get wind its brand new I think you need to pay tax...sod it, buy it build it and use it afore ye go, thus its second hand and then won't attract tax?? Alas IKEA aint coming here. You couldn't pack one of those wee chalets they do now at IKEA ..those 5 room 'houses'...bargain I thought at £13k..and probably built better than most kiwi homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:20 am
Chocoholic

Well after what i have read here i think i will be

1. Bringing everything.
2. Buying stuff that needs replaced and bringing it.
3. Ordering much of the Next Directory and bringing that too.
4. Bringing many pairs of good shoes for the kids in both their current size and sizes up!
5. Bringing loads of decent linen, kitchen electrical stuff and anything else in my cupboards

Oh a question.... The phones over there.
We currently have a BT DECT phone, we bought it not that long ago and its really good. Will it work?

I think my treats will include nice toiletries from marks and the body shop. Luv the smell of the coconut and strawberry ranges

Oh i heard the bras are crap too.... so a mega spend in la senza too lol

xxx
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Not really, in fact both NZ and Oz have much better underwear than many places in the UK - especially in the department stores. Perhaps it's the American influence?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:51 pm
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by whitesand
Not really, in fact both NZ and Oz have much better underwear than many places in the UK - especially in the department stores. Perhaps it's the American influence?
Really? Oh well there goes that idea.... Cant make that excuse to hubby now lol

Unless i say "hunni they dont sell bras in my size there"

Problem sorted!!!

xxx

Oh so anything else anyone can recommend bringing??? Just while we are at it?

Gonna compile a list haha (Just so i dont forget... being blonde and all)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.