Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Old May 15th 2009, 12:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
"After the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, there was an influx of settlers who rapidly began clearing land for gardens and farms and using the wood for construction. As the rate of settlement increased, large areas of felled forest were simply burnt and much good timber was wasted. In 1869 a fire on the Banks Peninsula is said to have burned 25,000 acres of forest and a fire in 1887 near Puhipuhi in Northland destroyed more than 17,000 acres of mature kauri in just a few days."
And what citizen would prefer an island inhabited by a few thousand savages to ours furnished with its various improvements?
Old May 15th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellington Will
I'm sure that's true of forestry as an industry, but official histories and figures are skewed towards what was traded and accounted. Huge tracts were simply burned to make pasture, and there are few records since the wood was a waste product. Here's a quote from the very good Forestry Insights website:

"After the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, there was an influx of settlers who rapidly began clearing land for gardens and farms and using the wood for construction. As the rate of settlement increased, large areas of felled forest were simply burnt and much good timber was wasted. In 1869 a fire on the Banks Peninsula is said to have burned 25,000 acres of forest and a fire in 1887 near Puhipuhi in Northland destroyed more than 17,000 acres of mature kauri in just a few days."

We'll never know the true extent of the slash and burn phase of NZ history, but the Encyclopedia of NZ says, "Between 1840 and 2000, another 8 million hectares were cleared, mostly lowland or easily accessible conifer–broadleaf forest.

"By 2000 New Zealand had only 6.2 million hectares of native forest. Most of it was on mountainous land and was dominated by southern beech."

There's a really good graphic here
It was the Puhipuhi forest that four generations of my family worked in. I was born well after Mum and Dad left the forest but I have some great old black and white photos of the little hut in the forest they lived in. My eldest sister told me about her cot when she was a child which Dad made for her that consisted of a frame nailed to the wall and sacking hung over it for her mattress. Most comfortable bed she ever slept in she said.
I have a great photo of Mum and Dad dressed up to their whites going off to play tennis with this grotty looking little hut in the background surrounded by Kauri trees.
Our family still own quite a bit of land at Puhipuhi that is leased out to local farmers.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
..... but I have some great old black and white photos of the little hut in the forest they lived in. .......
I have a great photo of Mum and Dad dressed up to their whites going off to play tennis with this grotty looking little hut in the background surrounded by Kauri trees.......
I think that's wonderful that you have these. I have some old photos of my
Irish family outside of their tiny house in Waterford. Treasure to me.

I'm into family history and that sorta stuff and if you feel you could share I would love to see the photos. I understand if you would prefer not to on an open forum though.
The only one I could share in return would be the irish one I spoke about earlier.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I think that's wonderful that you have these. I have some old photos of my
Irish family outside of their tiny house in Waterford. Treasure to me.

I'm into family history and that sorta stuff and if you feel you could share I would love to see the photos. I understand if you would prefer not to on an open forum though.
The only one I could share in return would be the irish one I spoke about earlier.
I would love to share them if anyone is interested BEVS but I need to get my IT son to sort out our scanner first.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I would love to share them if anyone is interested BEVS but I need to get my IT son to sort out our scanner first.
Me too, I'd love to see some NZ history!

When your son has uploaded them tho, start them on a "Historic NZ Photos Thread" or some such so they don't take so long to load for others. Sorry, that sounds bossy - don't mean it to!

Last edited by Am Loolah; May 15th 2009 at 6:54 am. Reason: Start new thread please!
Old May 15th 2009, 10:09 am
`

I'm very interested & I am someone IMHO.

I'll be good as my word and put up the Irish pic although it won't be meaningful to many folks but me probably.

When your son has uploaded them tho, start them on a "Historic NZ Photos Thread
OMG I first read this as histronics .
Old May 15th 2009, 10:24 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm into family history
haha that's mad! I'd only just decided tonight to start looking into my family history and I found this

Lastname:
DEAY
Firstname:
JOHN
Sex:
M
Trial place:
Co. Kilkenny
Trial date:
30/06/1847
Crime desc:
Killing horse with intent to steal skin
Sentence:
Transportation 7 years
Document ref1:
TR 6, p 114

We're the only family in the country with this name and as my grandfather was John and I also have a brother John and the family comes from Kildare....... it's fascinating

I'd be interested in seeing Bellasmum's photos too - I was doing something in work yesterday and had to look up the history of Remuera and found some really interesting stories about the first Maori there in the 1300s and I watched Graham Norton last week on who do you think you are and it feels like I'm being bombarded by 'roots' (not the Kiwi interpretation ) at the moment - it's just set me off
Old May 16th 2009, 1:56 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Batty - you mentioned that you are the only ones in the country with the name Deay. Are the names which are similar spelling any relation? Because there's a number of Day's and O'Dea's???

I have no clue how names work so just thought I would suggest that
Old May 17th 2009, 5:55 am
`

It is interesting. Well I think so anyways.
On one small part of my family tree the name is Blackmore , however go back 20/30 years and the family name is recorded as Blackam.

Transportation 7 years

Now see Batty. You could be closer geographically to kith and kin than you know.

I believe some of my lot were missionaries but have yet to find this for certain. Irish records are fragmented as you know.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:20 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

you know, the really funny thing about this is that my mother was always insistent that we had nobody transported

The Dea and O'Dea could very well be related - I've found a load of Deays in the 1901 census and all around the same area - I just have to delve deeper now - I've been trying to do it without spending any money but that's a no no

It's really good fun though
Old May 17th 2009, 8:22 pm
By name and by nature

I believe some of my lot were missionaries but have yet to find this for certain. Irish records are fragmented as you know.
Yeah, it was because of the 'great fire' in the Four Courts in 1922 - so much was destroyed then
Old May 17th 2009, 11:03 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that a taboo-subject in NZ to ask what your great-great-grandfather was sentenced for to be shipped to NZ?
Old May 17th 2009, 11:07 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Is that a taboo-subject in NZ to ask what your great-great-grandfather was sentenced for to be shipped to NZ?
NZ wasn't ever a penal colony so they weren't shipped here directly.

They could well have (and did) kidnapped and married their 13 year old cousins and the family decide to send them on over though!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

bwhahaha what a dag this thread is.

As a born and bred kiwi, I don't believe there are any real taboo subjects (just going back to the OP). All the kiwis I know, love a good debate about whatever topic is going.

For the sexual abuse statistics, is it 1 in 3 girls, or 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 6 boys or 1 in 10 boys? I mean, there is quite a difference in 1 in 6 boys being molested compared to 1 in 10.

The AB's suck....just a bunch of bloody islanders running round grabbing each others nutsacks. However, good on NZ for being proud of their team....NZ is a pretty small country and to consistently place in the top few rugby teams with such a small pool of rugby players is quite an acheivement I think.

ANZAC....I think it's fab some kiwis jumped up and helped out - just shows what a nice little country we are taking up the slack from the bigger countries.

Culture/history. History being the past in my interpretation - fairly obvious we have one so to say we don't is grasping at straws because youre not capable of raising a real issue. Culture wise - there are many in NZ all of which are generally embraced. Is here a specific NZ culture....I couldnt say really, I think "culture" is overstated, usually by a culture/country who wishes they had a culture similar to the country they are moaning about.

I love my country....there are too many wife beaters, child abusers, teenage pregnancies, crap wages and boy racers but overall the people are nice and I feel it is still a relatvely safe place to raise children (despite the above). I think NZ is a fantastic place (lets forget I now live in Sydney for the purpose of this thread) and they have lots to be proud of.

I'm sue I am missing some of the points I wanted to make, but like a tyical kiwi....meh.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by THR
Why would it be?

You'd most likely just be laughed at for being stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.