Stu delurks!

Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:05 am
Just Joined

stu_allen will become famous soon enough
Smile Stu delurks!

Hi folks,
Been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, thought i'd better delurk as ive just submitted my EOI online this evening! I'm an IT consultant (i work on IBM iSeries) and am hoping to end up in Wellington if i can. No job lined up yet, but with 115 points i might squeeze through without it, which might make finding one a bit easier.
Why NZ? Well, i spent a month there in feb/march this year, my first time, and just loved it! The people, the scenery, all fantastic. I was mostly walking (tramped the routeburn track, part of the kepler track, the tongariro circuit and the heaphy track), but had a few days each in Queenstown, Nelson and Wellington. The latter seemed to have the best balance for me and my job needs!
My only concerns so far are around money (lets see what the job applications bring before crossing that one), and the fact i'm planning on doing this solo - no partner or wife and kids to come with me. Still, fingers crossed for wednesdays pool draw!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stu delurks!

Originally Posted by stu_allen
Hi folks,
Been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, thought i'd better delurk as ive just submitted my EOI online this evening! I'm an IT consultant (i work on IBM iSeries) and am hoping to end up in Wellington if i can. No job lined up yet, but with 115 points i might squeeze through without it, which might make finding one a bit easier.
Why NZ? Well, i spent a month there in feb/march this year, my first time, and just loved it! The people, the scenery, all fantastic. I was mostly walking (tramped the routeburn track, part of the kepler track, the tongariro circuit and the heaphy track), but had a few days each in Queenstown, Nelson and Wellington. The latter seemed to have the best balance for me and my job needs!
My only concerns so far are around money (lets see what the job applications bring before crossing that one), and the fact i'm planning on doing this solo - no partner or wife and kids to come with me. Still, fingers crossed for wednesdays pool draw!
Welcome to the forum Stu.
We have loved NZ since we arrived 6 months ago but I have to admire your courage in going it alone. Not that there are huge insurmountable problems, just the not having someone to share your worries and stresses with. Karma to you!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

AMBER will become famous soon enough

Hi Stu,
We are also hoping to relocate from S London to Wellington.
Why is it Wellington for you? Where are you in London?
Good luck with the next draw, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Amber
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
hi stu & welcome

mu hubs works in IT, in wellington (graphic designer by trade) & what he earns is just about enough to support a family of 4, not an extravigant (sp) lifestyle but we get by. just thought it might help you to know that with regards to the money thing

good luck
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by poppets
hi stu & welcome

mu hubs works in IT, in wellington (graphic designer by trade) & what he earns is just about enough to support a family of 4, not an extravigant (sp) lifestyle but we get by. just thought it might help you to know that with regards to the money thing

good luck
Hi Stu, I too am goin it alone in July and hopefully if things work out the way I want it to I'll be settled there by the end of the year. How was Queenstown? I'll be sticking around that area if I can get a job.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:29 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Hi folks,
Hi Stu, welcome to the site & go for it. I , like you am going to be heading out on my own in september !! & although this fills me with an often overwhelming amount of dread i cannot wait... you'll also get no end of fantastic help & advice from this lot..
good luck to you on the job front aswell
Old Apr 10th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

stu_allen will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the positive comments and welcomes folks, and i'm buoyed to see i'm not the only one doing this solo - the very best of luck to those doing likewise!

Amber - I'm in Islington at the moment, although i tend to work all over the country.
Realistically for what i do its going to have to be a city (lots of my work is with big companies, banks, insurance etc); i didnt go to christchurch but spent 3 days in welly and loved it - compact, well laid out (businesses in one place, shops in one place etc), cultured, and it just had that something that said yes, this fits. Auckland i only spent a day in, but i really didnt like it - it didnt feel like it had a soul to it. From talking to people since, it seems that its much more the case that the centre isnt its "heart" - it has hearts in each of its main suburbs, but i didnt visit those due to lack of time.

Poppets - the main reason for concern is i have some uk debts that realistically arent going to be paid off before i go, so paying them on a NZ wage will mean it needs to be a good one! Still, i reckon i can live on a lot less generally out there so we'll see.

Yorksha - Busy with tourists! We'd been a bit lax about booking accomodation ahead of time and nearly ran out of backpackers to try! Its not really my cup of tea, but its very vibrant and full of young people thrillseeking. The town is very compact, with housing extending out from it quite a way so you can live out from the bustle if you want to. The QT gardens are very tranquil, and there are some wonderful lakefront walks.