Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Struggling without a credit card!

Struggling without a credit card!

Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:18 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice
Default Struggling without a credit card!

Been over here for about 6 weeks and thoroughly enjoying it as we've spoiled ourselves by staying down in Queenstown for the first 6 months and learning to snowboard! Anway we've got bank stuff sorted with Eftpos cards etc at Westpac but I do need to get sorted with a visa/mastercard and the paperwork I've had through the bank says that there is an annual charge!

I never used to have to pay for my Goldfish Visa card back in the UK - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonable card here without any charges (considering I won't have any credit rating over here, but I will pay off each month so not bothered about interest rates!)

Many thanks
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling without a credit card!

Originally Posted by chelsey
Been over here for about 6 weeks and thoroughly enjoying it as we've spoiled ourselves by staying down in Queenstown for the first 6 months and learning to snowboard! Anway we've got bank stuff sorted with Eftpos cards etc at Westpac but I do need to get sorted with a visa/mastercard and the paperwork I've had through the bank says that there is an annual charge!

I never used to have to pay for my Goldfish Visa card back in the UK - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonable card here without any charges (considering I won't have any credit rating over here, but I will pay off each month so not bothered about interest rates!)

Many thanks
Hi there chelsey
sorry to say, I don't think there are any credit cards over here that don't have an annual charge - but will watch with interest to see if anyone comes up with one!!
There is a website where you can compare financial stuff like rates and charges - if I can remember it I'll post - although someone else may know it.
Good year for skiiing
Vicki
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:06 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

There are no fee-free credit cards as far as I know, but there are cashback cards which will cancel out the fee, e.g. National Bank Thoroughbred Card which gives 1% cashback if you spend $8000 or more in 12 months (fee is $35/year).
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:04 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
There are no fee-free credit cards as far as I know, but there are cashback cards which will cancel out the fee, e.g. National Bank Thoroughbred Card which gives 1% cashback if you spend $8000 or more in 12 months (fee is $35/year).
Thanks for this. I've emailed them for more info!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks
There arent any that I have found either, but someone like Westpac the annual fees on their normal card are $29 (approx a tenner) so not massive but quite a high interest rate of 19.???? % interest or they do a low interest card but higher fees of approx $65 a year

all the low interest cards have higher fees, i have put it down to a fact of life that you have to pay for the privilige of having a credit card now

very jealuos of you skiing for 6 months, but at least I am only 4 hrs from Ruapehu if I wAnt to ski and not 24 hours driving plus to france now
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/products/c...mparison12.stm

Kiwibank reckon theirs is cheaper and give you a comparison guide to check it out.

They all seem to charge more than just an annual fee there's a 6 month fee as well:scared:

Unless anyone else knows better..............

Last edited by planty; Jul 17th 2006 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by planty
http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/products/c...mparison12.stm

Kiwibank reckon theirs is cheaper and give you a comparison guide to check it out.

They all seem to charge more than just an annual fee there's a 6 month fee as well:scared:

Unless anyone else knows better..............
Thanks for all of this! Think I will have to stick with Westpac as not working at the mo and applications are asking for payslips etc and as Westpac know our situation think it will be best to put up with the charge for the time being. I may change 6 months down the line...............
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of this! Think I will have to stick with Westpac as not working at the mo and applications are asking for payslips etc and as Westpac know our situation think it will be best to put up with the charge for the time being. I may change 6 months down the line...............
Think I may have read that wrong, I read it as having an annual fee and 2 x 6 monthly fees, but I think I should have read it as 2 x 6 monthly fees adding up to the total annual fee, so that's not quite so scarey.