Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Structural engineer considering christchurch rebuild or Auckland

Structural engineer considering christchurch rebuild or Auckland

Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Lba1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Structural engineer considering christchurch rebuild or Auckland

We are thinking about moving to Christchurch or Auckland (the wife is concerned about earthquakes & would prefer Auckland!) Not sure if any Auckland firms are also doing work for Christchurch rebuild? I have 10+ years experience as a structural engineer working on residential & commercial projects, on about 42k in Uk. How do wages compare in NZ? I know the cost of living is higher & slightly worried it may not be feasible. Would I be classed as a senior engineer? I am due to sit my uk charter ship exams in 2015. Finally can you find work without NZ experience of codes etc?

Thanks.

James
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Structural engineer considering christchurch rebuild or Auckland

Auckland is extremely expensive and volcanic and still get earthquakes.

What visa would you be looking on getting? not sure on the experience but did a quick look on jobs and some are asking for NZ codes
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

As a Structural Engineer in Chch you would be on considerably more than you are in UK at present, there is huge demand and the consultancies are picking and choosing what jobs they design as not enough work. I would think most of the Rebuild work is designed in Chch though through Opus, Eliot Sinclair etc....

Send them an email enquiring, not too sure about the NZ codes but I'm sure they would give you the opportunity/time to get up to speed on them.
Probably not a Senior Engineer until Chartered and would be in a better position if you completed that first but it would work without it.
Have a look at www.seek.co.nz for an idea of vacancies.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Lba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Interested in how we may be better off financially in Christchurch. We would need my salary to be close to $130000 so not sure this is possible if not a senior?? I'm making the assumption that due to the cost of living being higher in NZ we would need significantly more to lead a similar life.
Whats the reality of living in Christchurch & surrounds currently? Is morale low after the quakes? Are rents high? Is there a blueprint for a new Christchurch?
We are going to a 'working in' expo in London so will meet with employers, but just wanted a bit of insider info! Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Cheers

James
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Wellington, Wellington, Wellington, Wellington, Wellington
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lba1
Thanks for the info. Interested in how we may be better off financially in Christchurch. We would need my salary to be close to $130000 so not sure this is possible if not a senior?? I'm making the assumption that due to the cost of living being higher in NZ we would need significantly more to lead a similar life.
Whats the reality of living in Christchurch & surrounds currently? Is morale low after the quakes? Are rents high? Is there a blueprint for a new Christchurch?
We are going to a 'working in' expo in London so will meet with employers, but just wanted a bit of insider info! Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Cheers

James
It depends what you are looking for, you won't get a similar lifestyle as it is totally different..... The receptionist at my work is having a new house built and owns a boat, back home this would be like a dream.

It is more expensive to live than the UK with regards to rent and food but its swings and roundabouts with fuel being cheaper etc, I spent a lot more on social things in UK whereas here there is a more outdoors lifestyle.
Despite the rent being high due to a shortage in the city you can still get decent value a bit further out.

I wouldn't say morale is low anymore, however, I was not here during the earthquakes and I love living here, totally different lifestyle.
Yep there is a blue print (may be in the link somewhere) https://ccdu.govt.nz/the-plan
There is still a lot of demolition work to be done but there are some buildings popping up now and I imagine the design work will be underway.