Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK Electrician - Help Needed Please!!!!!

UK Electrician - Help Needed Please!!!!!

Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

indiskyeblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician - Help Needed Please!!!!!

Hey! My friend came and joined me in NZ 2 months ago and is looking to stay and start working. He is 35 and has been a sparky since he left school. He is going through the process of getting his quals accessed and getting registered at the moment and also getting his visa in place. But this could take up to a couple of months and in the meantime he is going crazy with nothing to do all day! I was wondering if there were any sparkies out there who need a helping hand on a casual and cheap basis over the next few months? Or anyone needing odd jobs doing? He can turn his hand to anything and has transport. Any ideas would be very gratefully received! We are Auckland based but he could travel anywhere in NZ for work. Thank you!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

indiskyeblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP Please - British Sparky in Auckland - not able to find ANY type of work!

Hey there .... my boyfriend is in the same position as you and is 35. He is just going through the process of getting his quals assessed and finding it hard going! Have you got sorted for work now? What kind of visa do you have? Would be great to hear how you are getting on as we are getting very stressed with it all!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 11th 2014 at 4:24 am. Reason: moved from another thread as query is the same.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:03 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician - Help Needed Please!!!!!

What visa is he applying for? He doesn't have a job and is too old for a working holiday visa. Which does limit his visa options a lot...

I don't mean this to come across as abrupt and we don't know all his circumstances...

However if he is here on a visitor visa/entry then it is illegal for him to work until he has a visa specifically allowing it. If his plan is to stay in NZ longterm does he want to risk any future visa applications? Or do you mean that he'd get a job then apply for a visa on the back of that?

P
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

agree with Persephone, your boyfriend cannot do any type of work until he has a valid visa in place.
what is his date of departure?
he may be pushing it unless he gets a job offer soon to get any application approved in time, you would need to check the visa processing time line for office he would be applying to
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by indiskyeblue
Hey! My friend came and joined me in NZ 2 months ago and is looking to stay and start working. He is 35 and has been a sparky since he left school. He is going through the process of getting his quals accessed and getting registered at the moment and also getting his visa in place.
What visa please?

Also what visa did he enter NZ on. A visitors visa?
I was wondering if there were any sparkies out there who need a helping hand on a casual and cheap basis over the next few months? Or anyone needing odd jobs doing? He can turn his hand to anything and has transport.
Bad idea.
It would be illegal for anyone to offer your boyfriend any sort of work , paid or otherwise and equally illegal for him to do any sort of work.

The above is based on an assumption that he entered on a visitor visa.

If your boyfriend finds himself a job offer as a sparky, then he would apply for a temporary work permit. He would also need to get his provisional licensing sorted with the EWRB.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't seen the post where 'he' is a boyfriend, only the one where he is a friend.

Indiskyeblue- Are you a NZ citizen or resident? Is it a partnership visa he's applying for?

Last edited by Persephone; Feb 11th 2014 at 8:59 am.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:59 am
Queen of the Underworld

Gone past the edit limit!

Or are you on a work visa?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:24 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiskyeblue
Hey! My friend came and joined me in NZ 2 months ago and is looking to stay and start working. He is 35 and has been a sparky since he left school. He is going through the process of getting his quals accessed and getting registered at the moment and also getting his visa in place. But this could take up to a couple of months and in the meantime he is going crazy with nothing to do all day! I was wondering if there were any sparkies out there who need a helping hand on a casual and cheap basis over the next few months? Or anyone needing odd jobs doing? He can turn his hand to anything and has transport. Any ideas would be very gratefully received! We are Auckland based but he could travel anywhere in NZ for work. Thank you!
Try looking up the number for Bishman. They are an electrical company. Take on sparkies and trainee sparkies. The wages aren't great but it's a job for now. They work in partnership with Fletcher builders. Very large company. They are hiring at the moment guys.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Bozzy125 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you get work in electrical without a practice licence atall?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:44 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

No you can't as far as I am aware. If hubby didn't get the licence we were told that there was no point in applying for the visa. Sorry.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bozzy125
can you get work in electrical without a practice licence atall?
No, you can't.