Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stop over or fly direct?

Stop over or fly direct?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:23 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop over or fly direct?

Originally Posted by jill1420
I may be wrong but I thought I read on a thread that if you were emigrating you have an increased baggage allowance. Can anyone advise?
We asked Air NZ for an increased allowance to fly Hong Kong, but were refused as they offer a good allowance on the LAX route for people emigrating. But I seem to remember someone recently saying that Emirates were offering 40kg? Think it might have been on the 'moving' thread in immigration forum.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks TeamEmbo, Would be quite happy to go emirates again in that case. I wont let the two cardiac arrests on board last time put me off.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:35 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jill1420
Thanks TeamEmbo, Would be quite happy to go emirates again in that case. I wont let the two cardiac arrests on board last time put me off.

You had two heart attacks?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Sorry no thankfully not me. Two passengers who were both in toilet (separately) at time. Both in our section. Thankfully our kids slept through the horrific ordeal. It was the 'are there any medical professionals on board' getting shouted twice within 20 mins. One of the men sadly died.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:44 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

^ Sheesh, how awful for all involved.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah so sad. While the first man was getting CPR I was sitting near the other man and we both got up to use the loo at the same time. On the way back I heard another commotion and realised another passenger had taken ill and when I got back to my seat I mentioned to his wife (although at this time I never knew it was him) that someone else was ill. Unfortunately he didnt make it. Well plane got seized by police at singapore for obvious reasons and we all headed to the bar. So unreal and unjust. They were being met by lifelong friends at Brisbane for the holiday of a lifetime. Got to live for the moment.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:41 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

One point to keep in mind – it will be more (or seem more) expensive to visit places in Asia on NZD. Perhaps have a short break of a week somewhere (Thailand beach maybe?) but if you are going to just stop for a night, well, I wouldn’t bother. But that is my opinion only.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:45 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Personally, I think a stopover somewhere is always a good idea. I hate it when we do it straight through as no getting round the fact that these long hauls are nasty. I think it just helps you to arrive in NZ just that little bit more refreshed.

Even the dreaded LA isnt that bad! We stopped in LA on the way over and LA is a complete dump IMO but there is always the happiest place in the world! which is great!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:03 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

We are going back to the Uk for a visit in October. Going straight thru on the way there but staying over on the way back in HongKong for a night. It will be the first time Ive done the trip straight back and I know that after a journey of 27hrs I will be shattered!!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Haven't been through Hong Kong or LAX in a fair few years now.
We use the Singapore route.

Changi Airport is fab. There are so many facilities. You can use the Ambassador airport hotels to get a few hours kip or even just for a shower and freshen up.

If you have kids, I would recommend Sentosa for the stop-over. You can book the stop-over through Air Singapore , although it will be worth checking out the prices direct with the hotels first. Sometimes it is cheaper to book direct.
Taxis from the airport are clean, cheap and safe.

We went to the night zoo and it was great fun. Very busy mind you but still, great fun. We also visited the markets . One evening we took a rickshaw ride to Raffles Hotel and sold our souls for two Singapore Slings there just for the say so of it. Angela Rippon woz sat right next to us in the bar. Right impressed by us she woz - I could tell..
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

miss_ck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Haven't been through Hong Kong or LAX in a fair few years now.
We use the Singapore route.

Changi Airport is fab. There are so many facilities. You can use the Ambassador airport hotels to get a few hours kip or even just for a shower and freshen up.

If you have kids, I would recommend Sentosa for the stop-over. You can book the stop-over through Air Singapore , although it will be worth checking out the prices direct with the hotels first. Sometimes it is cheaper to book direct.
Taxis from the airport are clean, cheap and safe.

We went to the night zoo and it was great fun. Very busy mind you but still, great fun. We also visited the markets . One evening we took a rickshaw ride to Raffles Hotel and sold our souls for two Singapore Slings there just for the say so of it. Angela Rippon woz sat right next to us in the bar. Right impressed by us she woz - I could tell..
Thanks for all the info. I've only done the Australia-UK direct once and it did me in! However, OH wants to go direct and get it over with. I am in two minds because I understand the excitement of just getting to where we are going to be living. However, once we are in NZ I'm sure I won't get him out again so think will book a stop over!

I assumed emmigrating meant we all got the double luggage allowance so I'm glad a few people have mentioned it, I will double check before booking now.

Thanks again