Reload this Page >

Stop over or fly direct?

Stop over or fly direct?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

miss_ck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop over or fly direct?

Hello
Anyone got any advice on which is the better option? My OH and I have different views on this one so thought I'd see what others thought/ or what your experiences were?

Would you advise to stop over en route or just go for it and have a non-stop journey and arrive sooner? And if a stop over, anywhere nice you could recommend going the non-USA route.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

hillcat will become famous soon enoughhillcat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stop over or fly direct?

We flew via Singapore Airlines who were ab fab. Changi airport second to none,has rooftop pool and gym. Stayed at Albert Court hotel in Singapore,beautiful marble floors and lovely en suite rooms at about £35 per night for the room. Really lovely staff too. highly recommended.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Hi hillcat, What would you recommend seeing in Singapore if we stay 2 days?

We stayed in Dubai for 3 days at xmas. It is definitely worth a visit. Mall of emirates..............every shop in the world under one roof, harvey nicks, debenhams,birthdays,next, river island,mamas and papas etc (all the same fashion range as here but much cheaper)........very bizarre, ski slopes, igloos, ice tables/stools in cafe...........Lamborghinis, rolls royce, bentleys galore in car park. The water park - Wild Wadi, fab, £100 for family of four. You can get a great view of the 7 star hotel (the one that looks like a sail - Al Burg) from the top of the rides. Everything done on grander scale in Dubai. In the water park the rides tend to pull you up in a similar fashion to how an aeroplane toilet works, if you know what I mean.........very scary, but fun. Definitely worth seeing how other half live.

Last edited by jill1420; Sep 3rd 2007 at 3:25 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jill1420,

Unfortunately, when we arrived in Singapore it was about 3 in the afternoon there and we'd been on the go since 7.00 the previous day or there abouts!! Heat hit us straightaway and so we went to our room, dumped the cases(which I since learnt could have gone straight to Auckland,will explain afta)Quickly washed and changed and went out but my daughter felt ill so we didn't get too far!! Was told night zoo a must see, hotel not too far from some sort of beach we passed from the airport. When landing in airport, you'll get given a book of freebies for eating or discount vouchers. Loads to do but remember you'll have an early start the following morning(ours was a 5.30 collection.)Travel agent arranged taxi bus from and to airport so no hassles. Cases could have gone direct from London to NZ but I asked for them off at Singapore coz hadn't packed fresh clothes separately Enjoy!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:32 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hillcat
Hi Jill1420,

Unfortunately, when we arrived in Singapore it was about 3 in the afternoon there and we'd been on the go since 7.00 the previous day or there abouts!! Heat hit us straightaway and so we went to our room, dumped the cases(which I since learnt could have gone straight to Auckland,will explain afta)Quickly washed and changed and went out but my daughter felt ill so we didn't get too far!! Was told night zoo a must see, hotel not too far from some sort of beach we passed from the airport. When landing in airport, you'll get given a book of freebies for eating or discount vouchers. Loads to do but remember you'll have an early start the following morning(ours was a 5.30 collection.)Travel agent arranged taxi bus from and to airport so no hassles. Cases could have gone direct from London to NZ but I asked for them off at Singapore coz hadn't packed fresh clothes separately Enjoy!!

Hillcat

When we flew out in April, Singapore would not allow us to book our baggage straight through because we were staying over in Singapore for 3 days.

We got round it though; we had the foresight to pack all Singapore stuff in one case, so when we got to Changi we stored our bags at left luggage in the airport. It saved us carting them all the way into the city to sit in the corner of a hotel for 3 days to bring them straight back again. From memory it cost us about S$50 for 5 cases.

If people are thinking of stopping over in Singapore, if you can find a room, Sentosa Island is THE place to stay. Unfortunately we flew at Easter and all the Aussies nicked the rooms so had to stay in the city
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:51 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

If you could stay longer...ie 3-5 days. Then jump on the catermeran to Tioman Island in Maylasia (trip is about 90mins), for a slice of tropical bliss.

Otherwise, Singapore is a great city. Heaps of shopping and eating to be done. Recommend the East Coast UBC for the best seafood you will ever have (except for NZ!), let your hair down at the Zouk Club, great hotels at bargin prices, get legless at horseshoe bay, have a drink at Raffles.

Senatosa Island is great for kids and the cable car ride is not for the faint hearted.

Also the Zoo is like a resort for animals and try and get a ride on the nightsafari.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_ck
Hello
Anyone got any advice on which is the better option? My OH and I have different views on this one so thought I'd see what others thought/ or what your experiences were?

Would you advise to stop over en route or just go for it and have a non-stop journey and arrive sooner? And if a stop over, anywhere nice you could recommend going the non-USA route.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

On our recce, we stopped in Kuala Lumpa for 2 nights. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is actually attached to the airport and you can check in as soon as you pick up your bags. Then a golf buggy picks you up and takes you straight to reception. Brilliant. The hotel is probably one of the nicest I have stayed in and the staff could not have been more helpful. We went into the city centre where you can visit " Petronas Towers" which at the time was the tallest building in the world and has a great shopping centre next to it.
On our one way trip here, we stayed in LA. IMO Hollywood Blvd was a hole and I didn`t feel safe. American immigration is a nightmare and also quite scarey. Would not recommend at all.
Have a great journey, whichever you choose.

Ash
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

On that note of immigration and LA, checked out some flight prices today. Singapore Air was my first choice having flown with them before but forgot you can only take 1 piece of baggae whereas going through LA you can take 2.....but is it worth it??
If moving there I guess will struggle to fit everything in 1 case so do I grin and bear it and go through LA?

Anyones views helpful
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:10 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

LAX is horrible. Transportation Security Agency (TSA) will zap you with cattle prods, make all transit passengers submit to full body cavity searches and then the most terrible of terrors, they will make you endure twenty minutes of Paris Hilton news updates. Any bags of Walkers crisps discovered in transiting passengers luggage will be seized and immediately ground under the jackboot of a TSA officer. The horror, the horror.

(snark alert)

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

loved that reply happy nzMaybe will avoid LA after all.

San Francisco was mentioned as the stopover but I gather the bags have to come on and off the planes as start off Quantas or BA and end up from LA on American Airlines flight.

Am sure to get lost in airport leta lone my bags with BA

Will have to check what other airlines accept 2 bags
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:19 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
LAX is horrible. Transportation Security Agency (TSA) will zap you with cattle prods, make all transit passengers submit to full body cavity searches and then the most terrible of terrors, they will make you endure twenty minutes of Paris Hilton news updates. Any bags of Walkers crisps discovered in transiting passengers luggage will be seized and immediately ground under the jackboot of a TSA officer. The horror, the horror.

(snark alert)

It's not that bad! We've done it 3 times now. Baggage allowance is 2 x 23kg suitcases per person plus 7kg hand luggage (= 53kg each person travelling, kids have that allowance too).

If you're travelling with kids you will get moved up the queue quicker. Transit lounge has free soft drinks, tea, coffee, water, crisps, apples, cookies and is cool and comfortable. There are no smoking facilities at LAX. You are confined to the transit lounge, but it's only about 90mins.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:34 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

I hated transiting through LAX, fat, over zealous, xenophobic, homeland security nazis wan*$%^

Did anyone see Australian border security last night, stupid American woman, previously overstayed on her American passport, thought she could use a Greek passport. Complaining bitterly all the time, even when they let her in!

"You are treating me like a terrorist!" she screams. Oh, the irony!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:39 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
I hated transiting through LAX, fat, over zealous, xenophobic, homeland security nazis wan*$%^

Did anyone see Australian border security last night, stupid American woman, previously overstayed on her American passport, thought she could use a Greek passport. Complaining bitterly all the time, even when they let her in!

"You are treating me like a terrorist!" she screams. Oh, the irony!
Yeah I watched that, the girl knew exactly what she was doing was wrong. The immigration woman was non too happy when her Manager let her walk though...haha
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

I may be wrong but I thought I read on a thread that if you were emigrating you have an increased baggage allowance. Can anyone advise?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:47 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jill1420
I may be wrong but I thought I read on a thread that if you were emigrating you have an increased baggage allowance. Can anyone advise?

We got 30kg each with Singapore, but had to ask for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.