Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starship Children's Hospital

Starship Children's Hospital

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

grimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the rough
Default Starship Children's Hospital

I've just accepted a position as an Emergency Nurse at Starship Children's Hospital in Auckland NZ and was wondering if anyone has worked at that hospital and what they thought of it?
Has any other paeds nurses worked anywhere in NZ?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Starship Children's Hospital

Originally Posted by grimm
I've just accepted a position as an Emergency Nurse at Starship Children's Hospital in Auckland NZ and was wondering if anyone has worked at that hospital and what they thought of it?
Has any other paeds nurses worked anywhere in NZ?
Hi

im not a paeds nurse or in Auck, but im an emergency nurse in wellington and one of the girls back in the UK worked at starship and said it was fantastic, cant elaborate much more,.

my experience of my hopsital is well good and the first thing you will notice is how friendly and helpful the people are, they also smile and greet you, they dont do that in the UK much!!! the air is clean and the grass is greener lol

let us know how it goes and good luck well done with getting the job,

sugo
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:22 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Not a nurse & not from Auckland but did have a neice in Starship a few years ago after having open heart surgery & cant speak highly enough of the place. The environment was amazing & so child friendly. The staff were something else too & every one of them seemed to love working there. Cant imagine you not being happy there

Congrats on your appointment & wish you all the best.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Had both my children treated there for allergies and one broken femur. Fabulous service. Nurses Ive met that work there have enjoyed it. There is also the opportunity to work the 12 hour roster leaving you with an awful lot of free time.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binman
Had both my children treated there for allergies and one broken femur. Fabulous service. Nurses Ive met that work there have enjoyed it. There is also the opportunity to work the 12 hour roster leaving you with an awful lot of free time.

you will probably find the way of working different, i start on monday but was called in for a teaching session, which is scary cos in six weeks time i will be inctubating patients :scared:

a few nurses in the UK where i worked did this skill, but only senior and they were not allowed to with certain docs cos it wasnt a nurses job, (quick fetch the bed pan)

New Zealand nurses in some areas are very advanced, in others, praactice is very different, but as an immigrant nurse you kinda need to chill into adopting accepted practice, they hate anyone saying 'in England we did this' and too right on that one.

So well done on the job, you should be kewl
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

grimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks to everyone who replied to this post.
You all said good things about nursing in NZ and Starship Hospital and this has made me feel happier.
My position in Cardiff was good but the quality of my job was terrible. I'm hoping this is going to change in NZ.
Excited now and should be applying for my visas Oct/Nov when NZ Nursing Council replies.
Keep you up 2 date...

Amanda and Aaron
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grimm
Many thanks to everyone who replied to this post.
You all said good things about nursing in NZ and Starship Hospital and this has made me feel happier.
My position in Cardiff was good but the quality of my job was terrible. I'm hoping this is going to change in NZ.
Excited now and should be applying for my visas Oct/Nov when NZ Nursing Council replies.
Keep you up 2 date...

Amanda and Aaron
Hey, I know this is a political item, but it does mention the Starship Hospital

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10349262

Not a bad idea, perhaps the British government should take note.....