We've Arrived!

Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've Arrived!

Hi All

sorry, not very informative this one but just wanted to declare our arrival in NZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flights OK - would recommend Malaysian Airlines - service with a smile, very helpful, all went to time, etc etc and price was excellent £1300 for 2 ad & 2 ch. Kids (3 and 15 months) were superb - slept loads.

Picked up on Biddy's recommendations of BK's Pioneer Motor Lodge for 2 nights to recover - excellent facilities, really helpful owners & free broadband in your room - hence the post! Also helped with car hire - had our first go at haggling and did OK.

Did the touristy bit today - Sky Tower was amazing, took the kids to Kelly Tarltons underwater adventure which they enjoyed.

Trying to catch up on the sleep - all in bed by 7 yesterday but up at 4am this morning - hoping for normal pattern tomorrow morning.

Set up bank accounts today - hadn't organised before leaving as ran out of time - went into National - they wanted NZ proof of address - utilities etc - when explained that we wouldn't have that for another 6 weeks or so and needed account to transfer money no real help - went to ASB and explained same - opened account there and then and sorted out cashflow / Eftpos cards no probs - also got direct phone number for personal banker even though we will be settling in ChCh - really really helpful.

Emotions - all over the place - difficult leaving, difficult coping with tiredness, felt a bit lost yesterday, as if we didn't really belong anywhere - keep thinking that this is just a holiday, however feel really excited at the same time - looking forward to getting down to chch (visiting rels first) and beginning to set up our lives!

People - really friendly - kids finding it a bit strange that everyone wants to say hello and genuinely enjoy kids and all their antics - offered the opportunity to allow them to run around the bank while we opened the account!!!!

Will come back with more, hopefully useful experiences as we move further on
Lee & Vicki
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've Arrived!

Wow...youve been busy!! We loved Kelly Tarltons and our toddler thought it was great...we are going to take him again sometime....going to take my mum and dad when they get here too.

I found Westpac very helpful....Kiwi Bank wanted all kinds of bumf to set up an account but with Westpac I just walked in and literally set up an account there and then.

I agree about most people loving kids and I think kids are catered for here much more than in UK. Lots of cafes and shops having proper safe kiddies play areas. Even our local butcher gives him a "cheerio" every time we go in....

I felt I didnt belong for ages...its weird isnt it. I felt better when we moved into our first house but even better after we found Beachlands....I just loved it from the first visit.

When you leave Auckland can you take the rain with you when you go please!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi All

sorry, not very informative this one but just wanted to declare our arrival in NZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee & Vicki
Great to see you guys made it Ok, and posting so quickly.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:53 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi All

Flights OK - would recommend Malaysian Airlines - service with a smile, very helpful, all went to time, etc etc and price was excellent £1300 for 2 ad & 2 ch. Kids (3 and 15 months) were superb - slept loads.

Picked up on Biddy's recommendations of BK's Pioneer Motor Lodge for 2 nights to recover - excellent facilities, really helpful owners & free broadband in your room - hence the post! Also helped with car hire - had our first go at haggling and did OK.

Did the touristy bit today - Sky Tower was amazing, took the kids to Kelly Tarltons underwater adventure which they enjoyed.

Trying to catch up on the sleep - all in bed by 7 yesterday but up at 4am this morning - hoping for normal pattern tomorrow morning.

Set up bank accounts today - hadn't organised before leaving as ran out of time - went into National - they wanted NZ proof of address - utilities etc - when explained that we wouldn't have that for another 6 weeks or so and needed account to transfer money no real help - went to ASB and explained same - opened account there and then and sorted out cashflow / Eftpos cards no probs - also got direct phone number for personal banker even though we will be settling in ChCh - really really helpful.

Emotions - all over the place - difficult leaving, difficult coping with tiredness, felt a bit lost yesterday, as if we didn't really belong anywhere - keep thinking that this is just a holiday, however feel really excited at the same time - looking forward to getting down to chch (visiting rels first) and beginning to set up our lives!

People - really friendly - kids finding it a bit strange that everyone wants to say hello and genuinely enjoy kids and all their antics - offered the opportunity to allow them to run around the bank while we opened the account!!!!

Will come back with more, hopefully useful experiences as we move further on
Lee & Vicki
Hi Guys!!
Great to hear you made it there ok. Sounds like things are going fine so far & Im sure once your bodies adjust to the time difference it will get even better.
Kelly Tarltons is a great place isnt it, always something interesting for all ages. My favourite was the penguins, especailly the underwater ride.
Nice to hear that you are finding the people friendly too, thats always a bonus.
Hope your trip to Chirstchurch goes well & that you like being there. Shall look forward to reading your next post.

Welcome to New Zealand

Cheers
Cindy
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi Guys!!
Great to hear you made it there ok. Sounds like things are going fine so far & Im sure once your bodies adjust to the time difference it will get even better.
Kelly Tarltons is a great place isnt it, always something interesting for all ages. My favourite was the penguins, especailly the underwater ride.
Nice to hear that you are finding the people friendly too, thats always a bonus.
Hope your trip to Chirstchurch goes well & that you like being there. Shall look forward to reading your next post.

Welcome to New Zealand

Cheers
Cindy
Hi Vicki, Lee and kids

So glad that you got there ok. We have been thinking of you guys this week! Cant wait to be there ourselves. PM us once your settled would love lots of details.

Helen, Jon and kids
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:49 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicki & Lee,

So glad you arrived safely. Good for you. Hope it all goes well. Good deal on the flights.

Phyl
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:50 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

So nice to hear from you and glad that you're having a great first week...it'll pass in a blur so take plenty of pics to remind yourselves of your first this and that in NZ!!!

Hope it all goes really well for you and that you settle quickly once you make it down to Christchurch...

Sorry I wasn't around to wish you 'bon voyage' but looks like you had a good journey anyway so all's well hey...

Take care of yourselves and enjoy...and keep us posted won't you!