Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Originally Posted by Genesis
people just don't listen or believe it because of the repeated anti-NZ outlook (on an NZ forum.)

Very good point. Why do some folk come onto this area of the site and post SO much anti NZ stuff? Like look at all the people leaving NZ, look at all NZ's problems etc, etc......and on it goes.

There is a place for pros and cons but some people to tend more to be on the negative side..they are the ones in the main who have left. Some of us left the UK because we saw too many negatives to carry on living there, but we do not go onto the returning to the UK site and slag off the UK at every opportunity.

Why can't some people accept NZ works for some of us (amazing as it to some of those who have been and left!), NZ is full of problems and issues that come where ever you have people living en masse.

NZ is wonderful, as is the UK, US, Oz (all in their own different ways), NZ fulfilled ALL our expectations..but as a country it is full of shity, nasty problems like virtually everywhere else on earth. What's the saying..same shit different bucket? I just happen to like this bucket.....if I was rich enough I think I would live in a bunch of different counties throughout the year.

Peace to everyone, hey and aren't we soooooooooo lucky to be able to move arond, some poor buggers can never escape 'their world' for something new.

Your last point,................
That is so true. I watched the most awful programme the other night about people trying to escape from poor countries, being smuggled by boat, whole families, often dying on the way, living no better than flies. It was just heartbreaking. Bodies washed up on the shore, babies, children, woman and men. We do not know how lucky we are. Thanks Genesis for making us realise how lucky we are. We have NOTHING to moan about do we?!!!

Last edited by Lexylou; Jan 23rd 2008 at 7:43 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
...Very good point. Why do some folk come onto this area of the site and post SO much anti NZ stuff? Like look at all the people leaving NZ, look at all NZ's problems etc, etc......and on it goes.

There is a place for pros and cons but some people to tend more to be on the negative side..they are the ones in the main who have left. Some of us left the UK because we saw too many negatives to carry on living there, but we do not go onto the returning to the UK site and slag off the UK at every opportunity.

Why can'those who have been and left!), NZ is full of problems and issues that come t some people accept NZ works for some of us (amazing as it to some of where ever you have people living en masse.

NZ is wonderful, as is the UK, US, Oz (all in their own different ways), NZ fulfilled ALL our expectations..but as a country it is full of shity, nasty problems like virtually everywhere else on earth. What's the saying..same shit different bucket? I just happen to like this bucket.....if I was rich enough I think I would live in a bunch of different counties throughout the year.

Peace to everyone, hey and aren't we soooooooooo lucky to be able to move arond, some poor buggers can never escape 'their world' for something new.
well, sorry to say it but this is a public forum on the internet, so there will be lots of useful nuggets and some real dross posted.
that's life, and more to the point that's internet life
TBH I'd rather hear the somewhat extreme or possibly "bitter and twisted" opinions of a minority posting their views and experiences, warts and all, than listen to a stream of trite, useful posts about the cost of toilet paper and how great NZ is and how wonderful we all are for living here - but then that is my opinion.
[one could argue that you will get enough of that when you arrrive - just look at the "how humble and straightforward Sir Ed was - just like all NZers" that was being banded around by many over here as a sign of how NZ just loves to blow its own trumpet when getting it all wrong ..... and that's not just my opinion, go ahead and read some of the newspaper commentators, *some* agree] - rant over.....
the counter view to the argument that:
posting "NZ is crap" will offend everyone who decided to come to NZ as it implies that they are stupid or got it all wrong
is that:
people who find even the suggestion that "NZ is crap" to be so offensive are either (i) so insecure in their own decision that they will take offence at anything or anyone that could suggest that they might have been wrong or (ii) so insecure in their own national identity that they become defensive at any suggestion that their adopted nation is anything other than fantastic, great, etc or (iii) something to do with their family/partner/mates/ethnicity/religious beliefs/holiday experiences combined with (i) or (ii) - those in number (iii) seem to take any anti-NZ posts the hardest and come back with personal stuff the most often IMHO.
I think that the reality is somewhere in between but I must say that I have experienced some of all of those views on this site!
I live in NZ, love a lot of it, enjoy a great deal of what is here for us and the kids and hate quite a few things about life here - hell, its just like (m)any other country(s). After living here for a year now (last Thursday was our anniversary and we were in Chch at the time on a well-earned holiday, the first and probably the last for quite a few more months) I have got to grips with some of the things that got to me when we arrived (mostly the driving) but there are still some issues that I still feel strongly enough about to post on - sorry if that offends but generally I am trying to highlight the negatives to help and maybe add a little balance.
Looking back at the old threads you can see it all there, just look at some of the really old ones talking about pay, conditions and living costs - it's all being debated by another "generation" and then look at some of the "negative" posters who have been derided and some might say "hounded" out - that's my real beef with this.........you'll see that some folks dont want to hear the bad and others just want to get it off their chest - TBH that's what this sort of forum is for, and wht Genesis has to says right in there as reasonable opinion, just lets not get personal about it and have a go at anyone that makes us feel a little uncomfortable or think hard about what we have done.
/off to the library now with the big un to get his holiday scheme stuff finished/
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
well, sorry to say it but this is a public forum on the internet, so there will be lots of useful nuggets and some real dross posted.
TBH I'd rather hear the somewhat extreme or possibly "bitter and twisted" opinions of a minority posting their views and experiences, warts and all, than listen to a stream of trite, useful posts about the cost of toilet paper and how great NZ is and how wonderful we all are for living here - but then that is my opinion.
[one could argue that you will get enough of that when you arrrive - just look at the "how humble and straightforward Sir Ed was - just like all NZers" that was being banded around by many over here as a sign of how NZ just loves to blow its own trumpet when getting it all wrong ..... and that's not just my opinion, go ahead and read some of the newspaper commentators, *some* agree] - rant over.....
posting "NZ is crap" will offend everyone who decided to come to NZ as it implies that they are stupid or got it all wrong
is that:
people who find even the suggestion that "NZ is crap" to be so offensive are either (i) so insecure in their own decision that they will take offence at anything or anyone that could suggest that they might have been wrong or (ii) so insecure in their own national identity that they become defensive at any suggestion that their adopted nation is anything other than fantastic, great, etc or (iii) something to do with their family/partner/mates/ethnicity/religious beliefs/holiday experiences combined with (i) or (ii) - those in number (iii) seem to take any anti-NZ posts the hardest and come back with personal stuff the most often IMHO.
I think that the reality is somewhere in between but I must say that I have experienced some of all of those views on this site!
I live in NZ, love a lot of it, enjoy a great deal of what is here for us and the kids and hate quite a few things about life here - hell, its just like (m)any other country(s). After living here for a year now (last Thursday was our anniversary and we were in Chch at the time on a well-earned holiday, the first and probably the last for quite a few more months) I have got to grips with some of the things that got to me when we arrived (mostly the driving) but there are still some issues that I still feel strongly enough about to post on - sorry if that offends but generally I am trying to highlight the negatives to help and maybe add a little balance.
Looking back at the old threads you can see it all there, just look at some of the really old ones talking about pay, conditions and living costs - it's all being debated by another "generation" and then look at some of the "negative" posters who have been derided and some might say "hounded" out - that's my real beef with this.........you'll see that some folks dont want to hear the bad and others just want to get it off their chest - TBH that's what this sort of forum is for, and wht Genesis has to says right in there as reasonable opinion, just lets not get personal about it and have a go at anyone that makes us feel a little uncomfortable or think hard about what we have done.
/off to the library now with the big un to get his holiday scheme stuff finished/
Really enjoyed your post.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:12 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

just lets not get personal about it and have a go
That's it in a nutshell. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the right to express them. Just sometimes it is the manner of that expression that becomes a problem. Once it starts becoming personal, it detracts from the usefulness and community spirit of this forum: people become bored reading it or scared off in case they get jumped on.
Respect each other and 'it's all good'
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
That's it in a nutshell. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the right to express them. Just sometimes it is the manner of that expression that becomes a problem. Once it starts becoming personal, it detracts from the usefulness and community spirit of this forum: people become bored reading it or scared off in case they get jumped on.
Totally agree..you guys have hit the nail on the head...the manner in which some of it comes across is sometimes irksome. People do need to know about the ins and outs of NZ, the good and the bad etc, like Lydl I love NZ but there are some HUGELY crap issues that affect this country and have a knock on effect for us all, but that's life!!

Again, peace to all, have a good life where ever you lay your shopping bag.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:33 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

TBH I'd rather hear the somewhat extreme or possibly "bitter and twisted" opinions of a minority posting their views and experiences, warts and all, than listen to a stream of trite, useful posts about the cost of toilet paper...
I went to the supermarket to get the ingredients for a Mexican style dinner and *¡Qué horror!* refried beans were selling at NZ$3.89 per can!

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I went to the supermarket to get the ingredients for a Mexican style dinner and *¡Qué horror!* refried beans were selling at NZ$3.89 per can!

burf........

now how much is toilet paper/deodorizer????

i'll get me coat.............................................. ....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by karonious
exactly, although I am guilty of overstepping sometime, sorry dear mods and fellow forumites.........

peace to all
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:26 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
...anything to do with cars is cheap.
Except parts and servicing for "European" cars, and aftermarket toys.

i.e. all of my car costs!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
By the end of our time in NZ the high price of petrol was starting to curtail many people's lives, not just ours.
Probably a good thing given its a finite resource.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

exactly, although I am guilty of overstepping sometime, sorry dear mods and fellow forumites.........

peace to all
When? You've always come across as polite and reasonable to me!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
When? You've always come across as polite and reasonable to me!
thanks,but not everyone would agree....
I can be a self-righteous so-and-so sometimes
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

is that:

Good one!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

thanks,but not everyone would agree....
I can be a self-righteous so-and-so sometimes
Yeah right!If you say so -that's for Brussel sprout's benefit - I recently visited the home of Tui - guess what the original owner was English!

Getting back on topic - would you say your recent NZ holiday was expensive?
I just did a pre-booked (over internet about a month in advance) touring holiday of North Island staying for 1, 2 maximum 3 nights in places with OH and 2 kids and felt it was much cheaper to get quality family accommodation to sleep 4 here than it is in the UK.

For anyone such as Wessa trying to work out detailed budgets, from this morning I have had the following transactions: 2 kids' municipal group swimming lessons cost $228 per term total (4 terms per year= 40 lessons per year), I filled my almost empty car up for $87, had two kids meals, drinks, coffee and cake in the local swimming pool cafe for $ 25.50, entrance for 2 kids to swim and Mum to spectate was $7.
I put my car through the car wash at Mobil for $12 (cheapest option was $8).

To hold my post whilst away on holiday was $20 (necessary here as houses don't have slots in the door for letters but a box thing at the end of the garden like in USA).
Just reviewed some bank statements and our combined insurance policy through Tower for house insurance (contents only) and car insurance for 2 newish cars results in a monthly direct debit of $186), a recent trip to my GP was $30, podiatrist $75. SkyTv including movies and multi-room seems to cost $93 per month.

I find electricity and gas bills really expensive, especially as unusually my rental has central heating and I put it on in winter!

Hope this helps - I find clothes cheaper here but not much else if I'm honest.
Wessa, I agree that $50,000 sounds better than £25,000 but it's hard psychologically to see a 50% pay cut as an enticement to go halfway across the world.
Has anyone ever tried approaching their employer and saying you'd love to come but don't see how you could possibly manage on 50% less than you get in UK? Maybe if they really want you, they will up it a bit? Just a thought.
Peace to all from me too!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:03 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yeah right!If you say so -that's for Brussel sprout's benefit - I recently visited the home of Tui - guess what the original owner was English!

Speights was started by a Yorkshireman too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.