Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Wikiposts

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:49 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Originally Posted by Nerine
LMAO....another who doesn't read things properly.

No, I read it properly. I just didn't study the exact smillie used, as I stated and then went on to explain why. One could therefore say you didn't read my post properly, but what a waste of time that would be. I don't know how you cope with all us illiterate folk.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 22nd 2008 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:51 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
the chicken fat in the milkshakes etc.
Yuk! (Really?)

Hmm, all sounds delicious in your house. Can we come and stay?

So what kind of meals do you eat? I found we ate more healthily until the children were of school age. They didn't seem to eat (regularly) between meals, but at almost 8 and 6 1/2 now, they seem to be starving all the time. I cannot believe how much they can eat between school finishing and bed time - especially my youngest. Although she can't eat as much in one sitting as the 7 year old so needs constant replenishment. I almost ran out of things to feed her yesterday. And in comparison to other children, I wouldn't say they are particularly 'big eaters'.

I have noticed however that they also eat more at home when they have school dinners. Empty calories no doubt.

All this reminds me that I must go shopping soon. So off to meal plan now .....

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 22nd 2008 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:55 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
No, I read it properly. I just didn't study the exact smillie used, as I stated and then went on to explain why. One could therefore say you didn't read my post properly, but what a waste of time that would be. I don't know how you cope with all us illiterate folk.

'Another one'? How dare you.
Guess you need to brush-up on your Freud too.

Yes, I dare! you waved your handbag in my face first .
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:00 pm

Guess you need to brush-up on your Freud too.

Why? Just how outstanding is your Freud knowledge? I got a First and a Distinction in my thesis. And an invitation from the Dean to join the teaching staff which I declined in favour of new adventures and substantially more money on offer, not that it matters.

And as well as what?

There are many things I could do with brushing up on, not that you'd have any idea what they were.

And I don't do hand bags. Hate them.

Anyhow, I've lots to be getting on with, so as enjoyable as this is Nerine, it would be much better discussing Freud, reading skills and hand bags walking through the fresh wind in my local woods. Bliss. Sadly no can do today.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Yuk! (Really?)

Hmm, all sounds delicious in your house. Can we come and stay?

So what kind of meals do you eat? I found we ate more healthily until the children were of school age. They didn't seem to eat (regularly) between meals, but at almost 8 and 6 1/2 now, they seem to be starving all the time. I cannot believe how much they can eat between school finishing and bed time - especially my youngest. Although she can't eat as much in one sitting as the 7 year old so needs constant replenishment. I almost ran out of things to feed her yesterday. And in comparison to other children, I wouldn't say they are particularly 'big eaters'.

I have noticed however that they also eat more at home when they have school dinners. Empty calories no doubt.

All this reminds me that I must go shopping soon. So off to meal plan now .....

We don't eat all that fancy things to be honest. We make curries, we make a large batch of a lovely italian sauce. It is based on tomatos, onion, peppers, basil, garlic. We make enough each time for about 5 meals. We then have it with things like baked fish and cous cous. It is a chunky sauce and goes with so many things. We eat lots of things like macaroni, but with a twist (lots of added things) I don't eat much meat but hubby does so often I will have quorn. I really love it! We do a lot of stir fries and a lot of pasta dishes. Really just everyhing that most people eat but we tend to do things from scratch rather than packets etc.

My daughter is much younger than your kids and she is quite fussy actually but loves smoked fish and olives (strange tastes!!) We eat a lot of smoked fish in this house, good scottish smokies!

My guilty secrets are crisps..... I cannot help myself!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:14 pm

My daughter is much younger than your kids and she is quite fussy actually but loves smoked fish and olives (strange tastes!!) We eat a lot of smoked fish in this house, good scottish smokies!
That's really interesting because just yesterday I was reminding my eldest about her love of olives when she was about 18 months old. At my husband's 30th, she ate the whole lot before the guests arrived. Now she can't stand them. It's the only thing I can recall that she used to love but no longer eats. Maybe she overdosed!

We also have a love of cous cous and risotto. My Grandmother is Italian and I spent most of my childhood in Africa & the Middle East, so I have a definite Mediterranean palette with an Eastern/Arabic twist. Oh and Thai curries of course. I cannot stand Chinese food after going to Thailand about 10 years ago now. We went to Venice in October and the ham was just fantastic. It reminded me how awful English ham is. Although only last week, daughter and I found a rather yummy one in M&S which we are very pleased about! I agree with you that the simple foods are best. Fabulous ham, salami, tomatoes, olives, goats cheese & bread. Yum. Oh and chocolate. Although we love crisps too.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:25 pm

Why? Just how outstanding is your Freud knowledge? I got a First and a Distinction in my thesis. And an invitation from the Dean to join the teaching staff which I declined in favour of new adventures and substantially more money on offer, not that it matters.
Oh really basic, not anything like as advanced as yours, but then I do remember enough of the really basic stuff to see your 'faux pas'.

Glad you've decided to put the bag away, enjoy your walk when you have the chance.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:58 pm

I do remember enough of the really basic stuff to see your 'faux pas'.

faux pas or irony?

We're just not on the same page are we? But you have a very valid point in highlighting my mistake in using smillies (sorry). Maybe you're better than I thought. Sadly this gets a bit lost on this forum. I rather suspect you make some incredibly insightful 'truths', people just don't listen or believe it because of the repeated anti-NZ outlook (on an NZ forum.) Speaking Freudingly, this therefore translates as showing others' stupidity in choosing to live there, not that this is your intention. I know that.

This has made my morning. It's not been great. One crappy customer service issue after another. Why do people pay their customer facing staff the lowest wages? It's just ridiculous.

And thanks. I've sent you a PM. And noted it in public to make you smile!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Jan 23rd 2008 at 12:18 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:30 am

Because happiness isn't dependent on monetary gain?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Convert $70k into sterling at the current exchange rate and ask yourself if you could live on that figure if you moved to another part of the UK.
Take what Lardyl has said seriously and work out a realistic budget before you come. You can't dip into savings for ever if they are not replenished by new income surplus.
When i look at it like that it equates to something like £26k. I ern double that now in the uk..
After nz tax,im left with 51.5k nz dollars. When i put it into dollars it sounds more liveable, i know there is living to come off that too, we will just have to decide when we visit Chch in march.
Thanks luvwelly.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
When i look at it like that it equates to something like £26k. I ern double that now in the uk..
After nz tax,im left with 51.5k nz dollars. When i put it into dollars it sounds more liveable, i know there is living to come off that too, we will just have to decide when we visit Chch in march.
Thanks luvwelly.
exactly, and do a good realistic costing of things. Factor in unexpected trips each year to the UK. I had two deaths in the UK while I was in Chch. Very expensive. When so far away from 'home' you really do have to put extra aside and of course you will want to do the occasional trip home anyway to see family (or maybe you wont?!!)

If you are used to a £50K salary here, which is approx £3000 per month after tax. If you are going to have approx the same costs in NZ as you do have here then you might find 51K NZ$ might be tough.....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Lexylou. Im sure we can budget as in reality i take home more like £2.300 a month. It's like people say though, it's no good scrimping to the extreme where the quality of life in NZ is destroyed by your worry of money. We know the quality of life in NZ far outweighs it in the UK but obviously we want a good balance. Karen (oh)has been told about a scheme in NZ that helps with emergency deaths/flights etc.. A fee per month i believe, ive forgotten the name. You are right tho, there is always a cost that comes from somewhere as it does where ever you live.

Last edited by Wessa; Jan 23rd 2008 at 1:43 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wessa
Thanks Lexylou. Im sure we can budget as in reality i take home more like £2.300 a month. It's like people say though, it's no good scrimping to the extreme where the quality of life in NZ is destroyed by your worry of money. We know the quality of life in NZ far outweighs it in the UK but obviously we want a good balance. Karen (oh)has been told about a scheme in NZ that helps with emergency deaths/flights etc.. A fee per month i believe, ive forgotten the name. You are right tho, there is always a cost that comes from somewhere as it does where ever you live.
Well you will be on about the same money then so you will keep the quality of spending power but being in a country where you can have a better quality of life than you are having now. Good luck, sounds like it will all work out.
Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Well you will be on about the same money then so you will keep the quality of spending power but being in a country where you can have a better quality of life than you are having now. Good luck, sounds like it will all work out.
Cheers
Also, im sure Karen (oh) wants to go out to work too, she can't sit still for 5mins.. Best if she does get a job or the old "homesick" problems will really creep in.

Thanks again Lexylou, these are the kind of replies i was hoping to get. Not the infighting ones that have appeared.. kids eh..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

people just don't listen or believe it because of the repeated anti-NZ outlook (on an NZ forum.)

Very good point. Why do some folk come onto this area of the site and post SO much anti NZ stuff? Like look at all the people leaving NZ, look at all NZ's problems etc, etc......and on it goes.

There is a place for pros and cons but some people to tend more to be on the negative side..they are the ones in the main who have left. Some of us left the UK because we saw too many negatives to carry on living there, but we do not go onto the returning to the UK site and slag off the UK at every opportunity.

Why can't some people accept NZ works for some of us (amazing as it to some of those who have been and left!), NZ is full of problems and issues that come where ever you have people living en masse.

NZ is wonderful, as is the UK, US, Oz (all in their own different ways), NZ fulfilled ALL our expectations..but as a country it is full of shity, nasty problems like virtually everywhere else on earth. What's the saying..same shit different bucket? I just happen to like this bucket.....if I was rich enough I think I would live in a bunch of different counties throughout the year.

Peace to everyone, hey and aren't we soooooooooo lucky to be able to move arond, some poor buggers can never escape 'their world' for something new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.